SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

I'm a fan of the details and styling of the Merz short sleeve henley. Does anyone have experience with sizing and shrinkage? I know they tend to be on the longer side. Thanks!

Seeking recommendation for shoe repair service, preferably in the US, that can do a SuFu approved partial lower re-build and upper reconditioning. Planning on keeping the welt (Norwegian Storm Welt), and probably the insole. Want a new mid sole and outsole. New filler will probably have to be provided as well. TIA! 

He does storm welt but not Norwegian welt. 

Found that out when I took a pair of Paraboot in.

The storm welt looks just as good in my opinion but if you are set on Norwegian welt you'll need to go elsewhere.

I don't think I'd use Brian again. He did a resole job for years ago on a pair of Chippewa engineer boots. I wasn't happy with the result. 

The boots of concern now have a Norwrgian welt that I'd like to keep attached to the upper. The boots aren't so beat that they'd need to be complete rebuilt. I think the original welt could remain and new filler, mid sole and outsole. 

I may use leather sniffer again. He used to do work thru Bakers. He's done work for me before, and it was good quality. 

https://instagram.com/leather_sniffer?utm_medium=copy_link

There are a few different ways of dyeing with kakishibu that will result in different sorts of fading

Like in the case of indigo, yarn-dyed fabrics will slowly fade to white due to abrasion—see Sugar Cane’s 285 or 302 (plenty of photos of worn pairs on Yahoo), or Kapital’s No. 5s Century Denim (I remember Banana Almanac posting photos of a few well-worn pairs over the years)

Yarn-dyeing isn’t really the most natural use of kakishibu, though: it’s more of a stain than a dye, and in its traditional uses it would be painted on and would sit as a sort of protective layer on top of fabric or wood. Fabrics that are painted with kakishibu will generally darken over time with exposure to light and oxygen—I don’t have any examples of this from the clothes world, but I may have posted some photos of a well-aged face mask painted with kakishibu to the masks thread some time ago; googling for persimmon deck stain or persimmon leather stain should give some good results too 

Edited by julian-wolf

Has anyone had the crotch of their jeans repaired by one of those darning machines that essentially weaves new thread where the hole was? If so, are you able to compare its robustness to the more commonplace method of patching inside the crotch and sewing over the top on the outside?

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Has anyone had the crotch of their jeans repaired by one of those darning machines that essentially weaves new thread where the hole was? If so, are you able to compare its robustness to the more commonplace method of patching inside the crotch and sewing over the top on the outside?

Not sure I can give a great direct comparison but I've found darning to be about as good as you can get. It can make the area much stiffer and therefore the edges of the darning become prone to wear - there's a good chance the next blowout will be at the area where the darning ends and the regular denim is left. But at that point you're really usually stringing along a well worn pair and going to enter into the territory of constant care. Not a bad thing, but it's gonna be a different look. 

Is there any good size guide of Yuketen footwear? I cannot try them and paying for shipping and returning is kinda expensive. Looking especially for Maine Guide and Tokyo DB/DB Chukka. I'm wearing 10.5 (28.5 cm) in RW 6 inches.

Hi guys I am just new here and want to ask a question. forgive me if this have been asked before. 

I am just wondering what do the kapital century denim NO and Suffix (MONKEY CISCO and 5P STONE) mean? 

for example there are KAPITAL CENTURY DENIM NO.1.2.3-S MONKEY CISCO and KAPITAL CENTURY DENIM NO.7-S 5P STONE. 

I figure this might indicate a different process for the denim, and resulting at consumers ends to tell the different color, but want to learn more about this. 

Any ideas would be appreciated. TIA 

The numbers refer to the denim (5s is kakishibu, 7s is sumi, 1-2-3s is double indigo, etc.), & the name refers to the fit: Cisco, Stone, TH, & maybe one other that I’m forgetting. Money Cisco is just an altered version of Cisco. I’m not sure about the 5P.

On 9/29/2021 at 9:37 PM, julian-wolf said:

The numbers refer to the denim (5s is kakishibu, 7s is sumi, 1-2-3s is double indigo, etc.), & the name refers to the fit: Cisco, Stone, TH, & maybe one other that I’m forgetting. Money Cisco is just an altered version of Cisco. I’m not sure about the 5P.

Thank you for the reply. 

Price wise, it seems  9-s and 1.2.3-s are more expensive. is $662 a good price for 1-2-3s? coz I've just seen them on todayclothing, or is it cheaper in Japan? 

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, sven said:

What denim western shirt would you recommend to a 6'5" (196cm), 88kg fella?
Feels like I've been all over the interwebs without finding one that'll fit. 

I don't know of too many other companies that make denim westerns besides Iron Heart but you could look to The Flat Head, Studio D'artisan or Freenote Cloth. Freenote might be your best bet. Their westerns appear to be cut a little longer in the body, so maybe they'll have something that fits you. But, I don't know how heavy their denim is. I have zero experience with Freenote so you'll have to do some research

20 hours ago, sven said:

What denim western shirt would you recommend to a 6'5" (196cm), 88kg fella?
Feels like I've been all over the interwebs without finding one that'll fit. 

What measurements are you looking for? I spent (too much) time looking for denim westerns some months back and landed on a MF Appaloosa, but those run rather small.

On 9/29/2021 at 9:37 PM, julian-wolf said:

5P just means 5 Pocket

On 5/28/2021 at 1:03 PM, MJF9 said:

Viberg x The Bureau rough out, black vibram sole reminiscent of brothel creepers

About 7/8 years old... had lots of wear but remain as tough as old boots

IMG_0561.JPG

Question to those in the UK please...

Where can I get replacement laces for these?  Ideally leather or, if not, other suitable.  Thanks.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic