SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

There’s a tree next to my porch that’s nice to look at

I don’t like being in pictures, let alone actively taking pictures of myself—never been interested in any of the social media or any of that—so I try to tell myself that I’m taking pictures of the clothes, & that I’m just there incidentally, as a sort of mannequin. I think maybe looking away from the camera helps to strengthen that illusion; besides, when I look at the camera I’m no good at doing the fake smile, & I don’t have the whole gruff smirk thing quite down yet…

1 hour ago, unders said:

If it works for Superman...

I’m usually keeping an eye out for passersby  so I don’t get caught posin’

That’s why I have the face that I have - to deter passers-by

1 hour ago, julian-wolf said:

There’s a tree next to my porch that’s nice to look at

I don’t like being in pictures, let alone actively taking pictures of myself—never been interested in any of the social media or any of that—so I try to tell myself that I’m taking pictures of the clothes, & that I’m just there incidentally, as a sort of mannequin. I think maybe looking away from the camera helps to strengthen that illusion; besides, when I look at the camera I’m no good at doing the fake smile, & I don’t have the whole gruff smirk thing quite down yet…

You’re kinda trapped - having to be a mannequin to avoid flat lay …

Edited by Duke Mantee

• 2 weeks later...

@indigorokk I feel similarly about the two FW that I have, but I've come to embrace it.
If you can find a pair of jeans made by Ooe Yofukuten that could be a good option, most of my pairs have ample thigh room without a saggy seat.
More readily available options could be from Mister Freedom (Lot 64 cut, although thighs are a little more trim compared to FW) and Warehouse (most of the 1001 variants should do the trick).

How does you guys generally size for the Warehouse 1001? My size 31 TCB S40s are a great fit and other posts here suggest going the same size in WH usually works out. My only hesitation is that the waistband may stretch out more than I'd like. I usually prefer going belt-less.

Edited by discwork
Grammar

@discwork I have several pairs of 1001’s all in size 36 which is my normal size. I bought the 40s contest jeans in a size up (size 38) mostly due to the astronomically high rise and slimmer thighs/hips. Just kind of depends on your body type. I prefer the fit of all my WH 1001s size 36 compared to the TCB 40 in size 38 for what it’s worth.

@Broark Thanks, have been eying the 1001 1947 actually but still a bit unsure if I should go with a 36 or 38. Perfect waist would be 45cm and thighs approx. 35-36cm. How much stretch can one expect with the one wash models in the thighs? Also, what‘s the difference between the Duck Digger and the „standard“ version besides aesthetics? 

Edited by indigorokk

@indigorokk no problem, I think you won't get much stretch in the thighs generally speaking (less than .25 in. in my experience), but the top block stretches out pretty easily.
I think the DD versions just have some added aesthetic details, denim should be the same.
Just double check the product description on the Warehouse site, most list the 7x7 13.5 oz Banner denim (7番×7番(13.5 Oz)米綿 3州ブレンド) .
The only DD item I have from Warehouse is my 2001XX jacket, so a bit of an apples and oranges comparison.

Sort of a funny topic re: the selfies.

I'm of the mind that if you're posting a photo of yourself here, you're feeling some measure of pride about yourself (and not just your jeans) whether or not you want to admit it. It's maybe primarily about denim, but it's an ego affirming act regardless. As a somewhat introverted fellow from a pretty (typical) western culture that equates men caring about their appearance - at least to the degree where you'd put a picture on the internet - in such a way as something less than entirely masculine I understand the hesitance to embrace it or to try and play like it's not really that it is but yea - I think at the very least looking at the camera means you own what you're doing. Maybe an epic bald eagle flew by as you hit the remote trigger though and you had to look, though. 

Then again, I am a photographer and have been steeped in too many years of photo theory so I could be overcomplicating it all, as I am wont to do. 

7 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

Sort of a funny topic re: the selfies.

I'm of the mind that if you're posting a photo of yourself here, you're feeling some measure of pride about yourself (and not just your jeans) whether or not you want to admit it. It's maybe primarily about denim, but it's an ego affirming act regardless. As a somewhat introverted fellow from a pretty (typical) western culture that equates men caring about their appearance - at least to the degree where you'd put a picture on the internet - in such a way as something less than entirely masculine I understand the hesitance to embrace it or to try and play like it's not really that it is but yea - I think at the very least looking at the camera means you own what you're doing. Maybe an epic bald eagle flew by as you hit the remote trigger though and you had to look, though. 

Then again, I am a photographer and have been steeped in too many years of photo theory so I could be overcomplicating it all, as I am wont to do. 

I don’t think you’re over complicating at all. 

On my part I feel there’s a debt to pay by being a forum member, and a ‘selfie’ is one of high value. Clothes are meant to be worn and so we learn more when we see them in that format (and it avoids undue criticism from @julian-wolf re flat lay), but it does mean there’s a degree of pride, ego, whatever to put yourself in the frame.

I do see different types of ‘posing’ - and by that I mean the majority of folk are genuine in their intentions to show their clothing and not themselves, I think that comes through in a picture; then there’s the highly affected poses that are meant to showcase the wearer more than the garments, again I think those are self evident as they scan the skies for that epic bald eagle …

On 7/25/2021 at 12:25 PM, indigorokk said:

Anyone know what jeans have a big thigh (similar like the Freewheelers Lot601XX 1951) without the „diaper butt“ look? I‘m enjoying my Freewheelers (in size 36) but can‘t really wear my shirts tucked in as the saggy ass is not a great look on me imo. 

i'm with @Broark in embracing the diaper butt look... but of what I have encountered the tender 132 has thighs to swim in with a relatively low rise in comparison... they are not strict repro 5-pocket cosplay but fit that overall pattern (otherwise my other widest thighs are things like sugarcane '47 or nigel cabourn, but these come with high rises as well, thus diaperisms...)

Was thinking about it some more this morning while photoing, & it seems like camera height / angle should have some place in the discussion

The spot where I usually prop my phone for WAYWT photos is at around mid-thigh, & brief experiments showed that looking down at that strong of an angle at the camera just felt off. May try to find a higher prop—‘til then, it’s all speculation (in any case, still prob. just post hoc justification for weird psychological leanings, or whatever conclusion was come to above…)

Who makes a good quality sleeveless tee shirt? Not looking for tank tops with huge openings on the torso & super thin straps. Just looking for a regular tee cut, with no sleeves but a finished hem at the shoulder.

20 minutes ago, JDelage said:

Who makes a good quality sleeveless tee shirt? Not looking for tank tops with huge openings on the torso & super thin straps. Just looking for a regular tee cut, with no sleeves but a finished hem at the shoulder.

Most Newcastle ‘sport’ shops have a wide range …

6 hours ago, Lalafufu said:

What makes some jeans HAIRIER than others?!

If raw denim is not singed it will be hairy. This can be exaggerated by using the same techniques that make jeans slubby, using yarns of varying thickness and size. 

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic