SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

On 5/27/2021 at 10:44 PM, JDelage said:

And now I've got a Lot D Appaloosa on order. Almost wish you hadn't remembered!

Edited by discwork

59 minutes ago, shredwin_206 said:

Where to buy cool Hawaiian shirts? Thrift shops my best bet? Not wanting to spend a ton. 

In UK I go to this place in store [Covent Garden store the recommend] and rummage [generally going for raw silk ones for comfort] ... they seem to have pretty good online offering these days:

this one, for example; a claim as made in Hawaii, rayon, wooden buttons, not a bank breaker...

https://www.rokit.co.uk/vintage-two-palms-hawaiian-shirt-m

also recently branched out and got a sun surf via hinoya, in a bulk order of 3 items it ended up about 60% of the price as compared to UK bricks and mortar sun surf suppliers... 

fyi: a similar model to the above, perhaps with an homage to @Duke Mantee...

https://hinoya.shop/collections/sun-surf/products/dk37811

edit: thrift stores in UK mostly just Primark these days, so hope of finding a good Hawaiian shirt there pretty minimal... do update if you do find good ones up in the Pacific Northwest!

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

• 2 weeks later...

More of a sufu question, can anyone explain how to hide photos behind the spoiler dropdown submenu within a post?
I've seen it used before and can't seem to find the feature now.
Trying to post some photos and don't want to spam up the thread too much, thanks in advance. :ph34r:

Not denim related but do any of you know of any Japanese guitar shops that ship to the US? I know a few of you are musicians so might know. I’m thinking of buying an electric guitar (to learn) but wanted something made in Japan. Was looking at ESP or Jackson. I’ve seen quite a few for sale on EBay but they’re kinda spendy. Hoping I might be able to source one well under $1000...maybe $500-$750

Yes. But, I was hoping to find someplace direct from Japan that might have JP prices. The couple I came across on Reverb were local pick up only (in a different state). I figured since a lot of you buy denim directly from Japan there has to be a place to buy guitars directly from Japan 

Ah, ok, Ive never used it but Zen Market provide a search facility 'Find It For Me' where you type in your email address and the details of what you're looking for and they hook you up with the appropriate retailers, you can then search said retailers and Zen will proxy the goods on your behalf, give it a go, you've nothing to lose.

Sadly, I don’t trust Zen Market. Read a bunch of negative comments about them in the last year and it made me apprehensive about buying through them, especially an expensive guitar. Of course, the pandemic/lockdowns could’ve been the source of bad experiences but I’m not sure if I’d take the chance 

I like many here have been buying through Zen for close to a decade, my experiences have always been faultless.

...but you don't have to buy through them, if their 'Find it For Me' facility works as i suspect it does, they will hook you up with the guitar retailers (which is what you're wanting) then it's up to you how you choose to make the purchse.

On 6/7/2021 at 2:26 PM, bartlebyyphonics said:

fyi: a similar model to the above, perhaps with an homage to @Duke Mantee...

https://hinoya.shop/collections/sun-surf/products/dk37811

You enabler you Mr Bartles...

Got this lovely Sun Surf Special Edition Duke Kahanamoku "Duke's Pineapple" through from Hinoya

Arrived pretty quick from Fedex once I'd made a minimum order including Whitesville t-shirts and paid the import charges :mad:

The shirt fits a treat; the Whitesville should have been OK after the forecast shrink in width, however in a 40C wash, they actually expanded!!

A two pack of XXL white t-shirts are up for grabs if anyone is interested, unworn, washed once

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

Edited by MJF9

2 hours ago, Geeman said:

I've had my eye on that shirt for a while mate, how is it?

How did you size and how close to hinoyas charts is it IRL?

It's a top shirt, really like it... only quickly tried it on but pretty loose and straight down... it's my first in rayon so I haven't got anything to compare it with... let me know if there is anything you want me to inspect closer mate and I will

Re measurements, it seems I bought an XL (had to check) and the measurements on mine are the same as the L (worth noting the shoulder measurements is to the widest point when laid flat).  This is all very odd as I have no idea now why I didn't go straight for an L as that is my measurement.  I can only assume I took a punt based on the model who is wearing an L which is snug-ish and I'm taller and quite a bit heavier.  Anyway, seems I got lucky as it's not my normal approach to sizing!

I therefore reckon you should contact the shop mate for exact measurements before you buy!

Edited by MJF9

very nice @MJF9 ... very nice indeed ...

the sun surf rayon I have I machine wash as silk ie very gentle [whereas the label says dry clean only, but that is a command I cannot obey...]

[have been looking through the lightning Aloha Shirt edition ... and this episode of clutch man tv has excellent visit to museum with vintage pieces on show and discussion of fabric and more ... check the picture of John Meigs at 7.11 for old school version of how to wear it ...]

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic