SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

37 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Interesting ... so you want authentic only when it suits your purpose? :ph34r2:

Absolutely. I just bought a pair of 1880s kegs with belt loops, and I’d do it again.  :P

I’m sure your arcuates will be spiffing and you’re no doubt in very safe hands.  

I like my jeans to be stitched with poly cotton thread, I’ve got too many other things to worry about than constant repairs for snapped/worn cotton thread. I know it’s not a popular view among the purists.

I’m not overly fussed about how quickly the paint fades or how robust cotton/linen/polycotton thread is - my first instinct is towards the cut, and usually I build from there.

I guess anyone who was that much of a stickler shouldn’t even be wearing ‘repro’

9 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Just the cut? Brand is irrelevant? :biggrin:

Yep - it’s nothing more than coincidence that only one brand can actually get the pattern correct :laugh2:

(and don’t tell anyone but that was the reason I never bought the 506XX 1943 ... it was a load of old shite)

Edited by Duke Mantee

2 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

In all seriousness though, I’m not aware of the original Levi’s paint spec (or even if there was such a thing) and/or it’s longevity (which in any event is governed by usage/wear), and you’ll no doubt understand the general basis of the question; I just wanted to discover if there was a consensus of opinion ... or better still, some positive link regarding the original paint type.

For the sake of pedantics.. if they were screen printed it would be ink rather than paint :rolleyes::laugh2:

12 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

For the sake of pedantics.. if they were screen printed it would be ink rather than paint :rolleyes::laugh2:

Pigmented liquid ... and quite possible to use variety of pigmented liquids for screen printing - as every pendant knows :wink::laugh2:

Anyway, the reason screen printing isn’t being used here is because every arc (or pair) is likely to be unique and pockets already attached to the jeans, so it’s a bit less practical.

Edited by Duke Mantee

I'm not sure what the sharpie method is but i would use some kind of tapered pegs (ive just sanded this one up but i appreciate, easier said than done) have a rummage in your tool box or cutlery drawer for something similar.. wet the button holes and shove the pegs in, hang to dry with the pegs in situ and it should loosen them off a treat, just do one first and mark a line on the pegs to indicate the perfect amount of stretch, you want to avoid having to do it a second time.

P1030491.JPG

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Any recs for a merino wool undershirt tank/vest? I've grown tired of my cotton hanes ones and would love something that can wick away moisture as well as keep me warm.

I use Woolpower for cold weather camping, hiking and winter cycling, ive got 400g mitts, 200g and 400g base, 400g leggins, neck tube ect...it's responsibly made and expensive but worth every penny.. i get it from Woodlore the Ray Mears site. The leggins are starting to thin on the arse due to saddle wear but ive had the mitts for a good 10-12 yrs.

fullsizeoutput_1c91.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1c92.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1c9e.jpeg

I also use Madison for lightweight summer wicking it fits like a glove but it does ladder easily if you're not carefull..

IMG_1798.JPG

Ive also got some synthetic merino from Lowe Alpine (if you can imagine such a thing) i got it from Rock+Run 25yrs ago, it's totally bombproof! it was from an era when merino was still relatively new, hard to get hold of and not very well constructed so Lowe Alpine made a synthetic version, it's every bit as good (dry flo and such) but it does make you stink after a few datys in the wilderness.. only gripe.. It does feel cold to the touch so if you take it off after you've got into your bag it does make you shiver when you pull it on in the morning, unlike cozy warm merino.

fullsizeoutput_2eee.jpeg

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Regarding tops, I would buy your usual size, i think the medium leggins run at 33" inside leg, i ordered the small and the med, tried the small as a 'next to skin' fit and the med as a lounge fit and would have been happy with either because the fabric has a good amount of give but i settled on the med (my usual size)... also you don't have to wash it very often but when you do you can wash it hot with no shrinkage issues, even at 60°C it soon moulds back to your body.

If you're not proud re colour (and why should you be, it's an undergarment? even tho i didn't practice what i'm preaching :unsure:) you can pick up the less popular colours on ebay off season for half the rrp.

Good question.
I was first thinking an excuse to buy a Freewheelers or Django Atour suit. Have us all turning up looking like old-West railroad builders, or more accurately the people that supervised the builders. But a group of people dressed like that would be give off big, weird cosplay vibes. 
Maybe, with your good lady’s approval, a pair of nicely worn (not trashed) jeans, a white linen shirt and a good pair of shoes or dress boots. 

Edited by unders

3 hours ago, smoothsailor said:

What you wear if I invite you to my wedding?

you know me from around here, maybe met me once or twice.

I don,t care much about dressing for the occasion, but my wife to be puts on a nice dress.

you have a lot off sufu approved gear,a bit older , nice fades.

do you buy something new?

everybody in matching Bing Crosby Tuxedos

Picked up a pair of Warehouse 1001xx. I warm washed them already (30 mins in the machine, taken out after a few minutes on the spin cycle).

If I want them to shrink down just a little bit more, should I do another warm wash or jump to a hot wash? They've shrunk about 1.5 inches on the waist already, and I'm looking for maybe half an inch more, if that. Thanks!

I,m not messing with anyone’s emotions.

i,m invited to a wedding of someone I know from online and met a few times.

I don,t have any wedding guest proof gear. Last time I bought something for a wedding is a buzz pair of chinos(WAYWT 2021 last entry) 11 yrs ago. 
new hat and a bing Crosby tux sounds like a plan. 

1 hour ago, smoothsailor said:

I,m not messing with anyone’s emotions.

i,m invited to a wedding of someone I know from online and met a few times.

I don,t have any wedding guest proof gear. Last time I bought something for a wedding is a buzz pair of chinos(WAYWT 2021 last entry) 11 yrs ago. 
new hat and a bing Crosby tux sounds like a plan. 

Lol - I was hoping you were renewing your vows and you needed a Duke to attend the ceremony :laugh2:

A Bing tux and new hat sounds like a plan

Where we go farm camping at that hippy-trippy farm in the peaks (which i'm sure you've seen lots of) one weekend there was a Pagan wedding in the top field, they asked if the boy and i would like to take part in the ceramony (would we ever) it was lovely, they exchanged lace and gave each other daisy chains, after the vows Bob opened the gate and let his small herd of cows mingle amongst the guests, we hugged lots of people we didn't know while being gently barged out of the way by cows..

I wore wellies for that wedding B)

I'm interested in getting a pair of trousers in linnen, classic fit in ecru perhaps?. Can someone point me in the right direction?

While i'm at it, I have also been trying to find a good chino. Looking for a good classic fit again, here. Any suggestions?

What is it like ordering internationally from Hinoya? I’m in the states, anyone have tips? Or just check-out as usual. 

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic