SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

2 hours ago, lee porter said:

Was just wondering people’s favourite actual denim cloth 

I will second a curiosity about this. I am in the market for a new pair of just normal indigo/white denim in the most classic sense - a 40s/50s ish sort of cut (I tend to just have one pair at a time) and am in no rush, but it's really the thing that would likely impact my choice between SC, Warehouse, TCB, etc etc. I can't try any from where I'm at. 

Hello in the USA,  looking for recommendations for a black high rise straight or slim straight. NOT a relax taper.  Need a FR of at least 12” for a 35.5-36. 
First thought is the LF NYC Black Maria greaser but they are  out of stock and the thighs on my indigo pair are pretty wide.

The new SC for self edge pair look interesting but they are definitely pricy....

thanks 

20 minutes ago, kbuzz said:

Hello in the USA,  looking for recommendations for a black high rise straight or slim straight. NOT a relax taper.  Need a FR of at least 12” for a 35.5-36. 
First thought is the LF NYC Black Maria greaser but they are  out of stock and the thighs on my indigo pair are pretty wide.

The new SC for self edge pair look interesting but they are definitely pricy....

thanks 

TCB also makes a black 50's that look quite nice but the black 1947's might be my second choice. $240 seems reasonable for sold in the us novelty cane's to me. 

6 hours ago, kbuzz said:

thanks 

SC-47's are by no means 'slim straight' maybe look into the SC41470 instead, you can score them on Yahoo for not much more than 60 bucks,

Ive got no idea re- FR so check that out first.

I'd call them straight but whatevs.. i'm not going to argue the finer details with you,

59 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

In any case, though, they asked about straight or slim–straight, and the SC ‘47 for sure fits somewhere in there

Not in dispute, dude called the black SC-47's 'pricey' my point was the slim-straight black Type III being a cheaper option via Yahoo...

Ah, very fair point—my misunderstanding—yeah, if those aren’t too slim they’re a great cheaper option

Same fabric same details and everything

Edited by julian-wolf

Some retailers let the waist sag (SE for instance) some JP retailers measure around the circumference but Blue in Green line up the waist and pull it straight, i like many others here have always been an advocate of the BiG method so yes, if someone asks me to measure a pair of jeans i would use BiG method (and say so) even though BiG in recent years are not the denim-force which they once was back in 2008/10 their method of measuring has always stuck with me.

I bet nowadays if you say 'ive measured them BiG method' the new kids on the block wouldn't know what you was talking about...:blush:

Edited by Double 0 Soul

On 4/7/2021 at 9:44 AM, kbuzz said:

Hello in the USA,  looking for recommendations for a black high rise straight or slim straight. NOT a relax taper.  Need a FR of at least 12” for a 35.5-36. 

thanks 

On 4/7/2021 at 7:44 PM, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

TCB also makes a black 50's that look quite nice but the black 1947's might be my second choice. $240 seems reasonable for sold in the us novelty cane's to me. 

Thanks for the replies all. I had the slimmer SC and was too tight in the thighs.  I would love the TCB but the Charts I see do. It have a 12 rise....

I found a full count version which look promising and maybe indigioffera....if not there is always the SE XSC 47 version...

23 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Were you looking at the ‘50s, or the slim ‘50s? The standard [black] TCB ‘50s should have more than a 12” front rise for a size 36

The regulars...all the charts I saw were in cm. Maybe I’m doing something wrong in my conversion....any help or link to an chart in inches most welcome here 

Well regardless of conversions or jokes about conversion...it looks like both the indigo and black 50s are only 11.5” in the front rise for a 36...

any help with a reliable size chat (preferably in inches) would be appreciated 

the indigofera looks good according to standard and strange charts....they are sold out but could be worth seeking out

https://standardandstrange.com/collections/indigofera/products/buck-slim-tapered-14oz-gunpowder-black-selvedge?variant=20364788485

Edited by kbuzz

Well-designed, not particularly well-made

I have a daisy mae cap from them (from around 2016) that I really love, and a tee and a shirt (from maybe 2018 or 2019) that aren’t nearly as nice. They have a very fast-fashion feel to them, construction- and materials-wise—just with a classic workwear aesthetic rather than the more modern / hip sort of thing that you’d see at mall shops. If you’re just going for a particular look, they’re a great option, same as Uniqlo or Gap are great options if you just want a pair of decent-fitting raw & selvedged jeans; if you want clothes that feel nice, I wouldn’t really recommend them

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I’m not sure how authentic it is but I’d want them to last longer otherwise it’s barely worth having them. I feel the same about stitched arcs that disintegrate too quickly.

42 minutes ago, unders said:

Agree - longer. If they age & wear with the jeans that be optimal in the long run. 

Interesting ... so you want authentic only when it suits your purpose? :ph34r2:

In all seriousness though, I’m not aware of the original Levi’s paint spec (or even if there was such a thing) and/or it’s longevity (which in any event is governed by usage/wear), and you’ll no doubt understand the general basis of the question; I just wanted to discover if there was a consensus of opinion ... or better still, some positive link regarding the original paint type.

I had already conveyed my wishes.

Edited by Duke Mantee

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic