SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

On 1/28/2021 at 8:18 PM, Duke Mantee said:

Isn’t now just like buying any item from any other part of the world - ie now everything over the thresholds set are liable to Duties and/or VAT?

I think the difference with ebay is...

Looking at some listings from Eu based sellers... 'Fixed Price' doesn't highlight VAT where as 'Open to Offers' does (obviously they don't know the amount of VAT till a price has been agreed)

'Open to Offers'
+ 20% VAT will apply
From Germany
0 bids
or Best Offer
+ £11.67 postage

'Fixed'
£61.89
From Germany
Buy it now
+ £8.80 postage

...so rather than VAT being charged at the UK border, it looks like ebay is acting as tax collector  and VAT is already included in the price you see listed so it's pointless asking the seller to mark as a gift with a low value because you've already paid the duties.

The changes at a glance

• eBay will collect and remit VAT on orders up to a value of £135 imported into the UK and sold to consumers. There will no longer be a VAT exemption for small consignments up to £15.
  • In cases where the seller is a non-UK business and the goods are already in the UK, eBay will collect and remit VAT for goods sold to consumers within the UK, regardless of their value.
  • If the buyer is a UK VAT-registered business and provides their valid UK VAT registration number, eBay will not collect UK VAT and instead the responsibility to account for VAT will switch to the UK VAT-registered business customer.
  • All sellers listing on eBay.co.uk will have to provide a gross price and separate VAT rate, so that eBay can determine the correct amount of VAT to collect from consumers. For non-EU/UK sellers, unless you have included UK or EU VAT in your pricing calculations, the VAT rate will usually be 0%.
  • All prices on eBay.co.uk will be displayed inclusive of UK VAT.
  • Where eBay is responsible for collecting VAT on orders sent to a UK delivery address, this amount will also be shown separately at checkout.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

45 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I think the difference with ebay is...

...so rather than VAT being charged at the UK border, it looks like ebay is acting as tax collector  and VAT is already included in the price you see listed so it's pointless asking the seller to mark as a gift with a low value because you've already paid the duties.

eBay have had a global shipping program for a while (I t’s a great earner for them since they collect £Millions in taxes globally before having to redistribute) and really that’s all I meant with regards VAT and customs duties - we are not part of Europe and so we are no longer protected or exempt from import costs from EU countries.

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

True, the only difference being GSP import charges are highlighted seperately and confirmed at checkout whereas EU BIN listings are already inclusive of import charges therefor folks in the UK could be put off buying from EU sellers because they'll be expecting further charges at the UK border.

The supercharged nationalism of 2016 is becoming more embarrassing/negligent/catastrophic on an almost daily basis

Any Edwin knowledge out here?

I was given this jacket. I wouldn’t,t buy it , mostly because I don,t like the selvage pockets.

but I do like the fit, I like the collar , the length and the cinch.

i, have been wearing it a lot, lately mostly as a layer, so a lot of rubbing

I wonder why it doesn’t fade. The fabric feels a bit synthetic but the label says something is 100%. I can,t imagine it’s 100% synthetic.

CF44B4B2-2F36-48D8-9341-CB608466E32E.jpeg

891BE105-7D2E-4F2B-9D59-C2BD8CDA8B0B.jpeg

4A00FAFD-97A4-469D-B990-941E2C3948A1.jpeg

BE8612D3-6347-484E-B16B-258E10437DA3.jpeg

78D4F509-D1C7-4E8B-99F0-97DB064DF56C.jpeg

65840972-C837-4944-BBE2-CA5DF652322D.jpeg

The standard is pretty good, I’ve owned a Jelado shirt and quite a few Colimbo items. I thought the Colimbo stuff was nearly as good as FW quality wise and laterally I got to know the owner of a clothing factory who made some of their items - his opinion reflected my thoughts

So Academy of Denim closed in Long Beach...:sad: I know I could head to LA, but does anyone know where else I can get my jeans chainstitch hemmed closer to OC?

52 minutes ago, beew said:

So Academy of Denim closed in Long Beach...:sad: I know I could head to LA, but does anyone know where else I can get my jeans chainstitch hemmed closer to OC?

Not sure where in the OC you are but you can also try Railcar Fine Goods in El Monte

5 hours ago, goodrain said:

Not sure where in the OC you are but you can also try Railcar Fine Goods in El Monte

Thanks, but that's even further than going to LA for me :(

On 2/7/2021 at 7:11 AM, goodrain said:

There is also Snake Oil Provisions in Long Beach

To my knowledge and from what one of the workers told me (can't remember who) was that they sent all their garment alterations to denim academy next door. I think I'm just going to send it into Railcar at this point :/ Nothing against RC, but I just like being able to physically drop off and pick up my clothes from the tailors.

Edit: Checked Snake Oil's site and they do in fact outsource their tailoring to Academy.

Edited by beew

11 minutes ago, beew said:

To my knowledge and from what one of the workers told me (can't remember who) was that they sent all their garment alterations to denim academy next door. I think I'm just going to send it into Railcar at this point :/ Nothing against RC, but I just like being able to physically drop off and pick up my clothes from the tailors.

Edit: Checked Snake Oil's site and they do in fact outsource their tailoring to Academy.

You can go to Railcar, drop off the jeans, get a haircut or walk around, and get the hemmed jeans back in 30 mins.

I'm trying to compile a list of jeans that have roomy thighs with a smaller waist (men's or women's jeans). Like a 30" waist with 12" or bigger thighs.  Discontinued jeans are OK because sometimes they pop up on ebay.

on my list so far:

Flat Head Balder, Left Field Atlas, Pure Blue Japan 019 

Can you think of any others?

2 hours ago, machine-language said:

I'm trying to compile a list of jeans that have roomy thighs with a smaller waist (men's or women's jeans). Like a 30" waist with 12" or bigger thighs.  Discontinued jeans are OK because sometimes they pop up on ebay.

on my list so far:

Flat Head Balder, Left Field Atlas, Pure Blue Japan 019 

Can you think of any others?

Tender 132, 132X or 136. Very wide leg.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic