SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

2 hours ago, Geeman said:

Inspired by Collins post I'd lie to hear people's experienceswith Visvim? Some nice looking pieces but the prices are staggering, a 3 pack of plain ts is 500 quid! There ain't many plain white ts for 160 quid a pop!

I've been to two stores in Tokyo with my son and both were very impressive and packed, what's the thoughts on them?

I’ve got a pair of Skagway Lo in wabash and a pair of Hockney. I bought both at sale prices - I think the Skagway were about £180 and the Hockney about double that.

The Skagway rand started peeling off the upper at stress points within a few weeks but other than that they’ve been fairly resilient and they are very very comfortable. They Hockney has been very durable - I wear them for gardening now ... the reason for that is they have a wedge sole which unfortunately forces the foot into the toe box so they get uncomfortable in longer periods of wear.

The construction seems ok, and the materials seem ok so I would just about give pass marks to both (a wedge sole might suit another foot), but 55-60% doesn’t justify the sale price never mind full price. I’ve also had a close look at some of the clothing and to be honest the only thing that stood out was the price tag. I really don’t understand how Visvim can justify the prices.

Not a brand I can recommend but I’m sure others will find more to appreciate.

I think that their higher priced stuff is a lot better. For instance, their virgils and 7hole boots are great.

I would for instance rather have a pair of 7holes or kngr virgils than a pair of lofgren boots that are very popular here. And quality wise they are on par with for instance my viberg boots imo.

The whole visvim and kapital sort of look is a very different look compared to the repro more repro orientated style most people here seem to fancy. 

Edited by greathoudini

The ‘look’ of Kapital and/or Visvim is a non sequitur in this case. 

It’s not difficult to view how these brands can be and are worn (and look great) - it’s altogether more difficult to compare quality and then decide if there’s value in the comparison. I couldn’t argue whether your Visvim are as good as Viberg - but the Visvim are about 50% more expensive so I’m interested in why ‘equal’ boots are so different in cost.

I'm not justifying their pricing. I know they're expensive. But so is viberg, lofgren and a lot of other brands discussed in here. 

For me I wouldn't pay €500+ for any pair of boots so I lurk eBay and grailed to buy a pair for a price I'm ok with. But if people have the money to buy boots for around $1K why wouldn't they buy visvim? 

Edited by greathoudini

While I also love the concept of Visvim and Kapital I find them too avant-garde for a ‘plain guy’ like myself to pull off. Visvim (and Kapital to a lesser extent) is also what’s known as a ‘Veblen good’ meaning that, like other super high-end fashion, its appeal increases as its price / exclusivity increases. 

On the other end of the spectrum are the repro / Americana brands which are the bread and butter of Japanese denim but lean a little too far into the ‘lumberjack’ look for my taste. 

For what it’s worth my faves recently have been brands like Blue Blue Japan and 45rpm, which, like most other brands beloved on this forum also emphasize super high quality, but are not necessarily super identified either with the Americana set or the high fashion set. My 0.02!

True it looks a bit gimmicky wearing only loud visvim and kapital pieces going grocerie shopping. Same as going grocerie shopping in only repro die hard brands and boots. Both fits are really expensive and look a bit try hard imo.

To each his own though. I like to see others wearing whatever they like but for me I like to wear some of both and combine it with some simple other not sufu approved brands for tees and sneakers.

But it's nice to see different styles in waywt pics. Would be cool to see some visvim stuff as well :)

Won't go into details why I love Visvim and why I own plenty.

But talking about the boots: they are made in China in a factory only producing for them (as they have a high number of orders coming thru), they are hand Goodyear welted, leather selection is amazing and most of the time is veg tanned from Europe. Most of their boots have a workwear aesthetic with modern details (like plastic "absorber" pieces) and definitely a designer vibe. In the same time they are much lighter than White's, Viberg etc. They definitely feels like sneakers compared to most of the brands. Not that a well broken-in boots isn't comfortable, Visvim footwear is often as comfortable out of the box.

Retail prices outside of Japan are out of this world, but in Japan, a pair of Virgil boots (one of their most famous boots) is the same price as a pair of N-1 from John Lofgren and a Viberg service boots.

Their more expensive footwear often features special treatments like mud dying, indigo, cochineal and special distressed treatments. 

(I don't own John Lofgren yet so can't compare the two of them construction wise, but I guess John Lofgren transparency and commitment to the craft is already an argument to support him over Visvim. The latter is rather silent about its manufacturing and working conditions etc. Hiroki Nakamura, Visvim designer, always said he doesn't mind at all where the product is made when it's the best he can find.)

You also need to consider design, R&D on techniques that are not often used and retail experience in the prices as well. Anyway, Visvim is getting more and more expensive and is definitely a luxury brand (with all that comes with it). You definitely get more bangs for your bucks getting some Red Wings.

You can often see Instagram fanboy wearing only Visvim and honestly, while they have AMAZING pieces that cost 1k each, their fits aren't good in my opinion. It's more like a cosplay. 

If you want to see some Visvim pieces worn with other brands, I've posted a lot of WAYWT on here. 

Edited by Collin
Spelling, sorry for my French

@Collin love that breakdown - passion and honesty.

I think we all know in many cases it’s difficult to justify cost, but then cost isn’t the only factor that comes into consideration. With regard my own preferences there are instances when I know the item isn’t better than an alternative but I’ll buy it anyway. Fanboy is a word you used to describe yourself and it’s the same word I’ve used since I’ve been ‘collecting’.

The difficulty on a forum is that folk can get twitchy when they read a comment that seems to be at odds with their own position, or perhaps defensive when a question comes up over a purchase - often I find it’s their own passion that colours what they think they see.

I look forward to more of your Visvim, erm, hedonism 

5 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

I look forward to more of your Visvim, erm, hedonism 

1 hour ago, Geeman said:

More pics of Visvim mixed with other brands is welcome!

Will do gents :)

On the subject, I would LOVE to read/listen to/watch a Visvim boots review by @dudewuttheheck ! Don't think he will ever do it tho

2 hours ago, Geeman said:

More pics of Visvim mixed with other brands is welcome!

No pics but, didn't Lvc do a collaboration with Visvim on an early 1900's open front jumper or something akin to a 213 jacket but looked more like a chore coat?

Anyone?

Edited by Dr_Heech
Brain dysfunction

On 6/29/2020 at 4:06 PM, Dr_Heech said:

No pics but, didn't Lvc do a collaboration with Visvim on an early 1900's open front jumper or something akin to a 213 jacket but looked more like a chore coat?

Anyone?

I don't think Visvim ever collaborated with LVC but I might be wrong. But they definitely made some pieces like you mentioned. Funny story, the TCB 40s is woven in the same factory and by the same loom producing Visvim red edge denim. It's a denim mill in Okayama and if I'm not mistaking, owned by the Japan Blue group. 

44 minutes ago, Collin said:

I don't think Visvim ever collaborated with LVC but I might be wrong. But they definitely made some pieces like you mentioned. Funny story, the TCB 40s is woven in the same factory and by the same loom producing Visvim red edge denim. It's a denim mill in Okayama and if I'm not mistaking, owned by the Japan Blue group. 

Is the red edge denim then ‘assembled’ in Japan or are the jeans made in China?

1 hour ago, Duke Mantee said:

Is the red edge denim then ‘assembled’ in Japan or are the jeans made in China?

You might be referring to my previous message about the boots. Visvim footwear is mostly made in China but their clothing line mostly (90%) done in Japan using Japanese fabric. Special items are sometimes made in other country where the craftsmanship resides such as France for knitted sweater and beanie, Italy for some leather jackets....

I believe that the red edge denim is woven and assembled in Okayama. Visvim uses custom Japan Blue denim and I guess might be using their sewing department too.

Edited by Collin

42 minutes ago, Collin said:

You might be referring to my previous message about the boots. Visvim footwear is mostly made in China but their clothing line mostly (90%) done in Japan using Japanese fabric. Special items are sometimes made in other country where the craftsmanship resides such as France for knitted sweater and beanie, Italy for some leather jackets....

I believe that the red edge denim is woven and assembled in Okayama. Visvim uses custom Japan Blue denim and I guess might be using their sewing department too.

Thanks! Yes I did remember you’d mentioned China for boot manufacturing and I wasn’t sure if other items were made outside of Japan (not that it makes much difference in terms of quality if the right factories are used - although wages are a good bit lower and ultimately that is likely to be the biggest impact on cost)

7 hours ago, Ar_thor said:

Any good options for darker earth tone chambray workshirts? We're talking darker brown, green and similar. 

Buzz Rickson has a nice mock twist chambray in brown. FW has the Neal shirt in mock twist salt & pepper.

3 hours ago, JDelage said:

Buzz Rickson has a nice mock twist chambray in brown. FW has the Neal shirt in mock twist salt & pepper.

Cheers for the input, I'm specifically looking for darker colours so the Buzz won't cut it, even though it's nice.

2 hours ago, ColonelAngus said:

Speaking of Visvim, these are ugly af. only $860

8ABA35AB-B8D8-496D-A682-204B9A3AE8EB.jpeg

I'm not a fan of the Christo (their sandals) but this one is nice in my opinion. Have a friend who got them and said it was the most comfy slippers he ever worn (it better for that price ahahaha) Anyways, better go with the Birkenstock if going socks + sandals ;) 

On 7/3/2020 at 10:46 AM, Ar_thor said:

Cheers for the input, I'm specifically looking for darker colours so the Buzz won't cut it, even though it's nice.

Momotaro makes an amazing chambray in multiple earthy colors. Tones are medium rather than dark or light though I’d say. 

Is anyone familiar with "Industry of all nations"? They make garment dyed tees, etc.

https://industryofallnations.com/collections/all/products/organic-cotton-crewneck-pocket-tshirt

(Click on the drop down to see the indigo 6 dips, 12, iron, etc.)

https://industryofallnations.com/collections/all/products/organic-cotton-madras-shirt-heavy-long-sleeve?variant=13852179234861

Edited by JDelage

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic