SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

30 minutes ago, ColonelAngus said:

Denim wokeness 101

Haha. Nice.

What he describes is definitely being “woke”, he or you just needs to understand the concept a bit better to know when it applies.

Certainly you were not applying such a negative moniker to myself. I mean since at no time did my posts on coveralls apply to yourself or were directed at you so you would have no reason to dis me, right? Unless we are just seeing that ugly side of forums where members act out like the peasants (or flocks) in Kozinskis “The Painted Bird”. 

Lol

Edited by Pedro

16 minutes ago, Geeman said:

Cabourn makes some nice kit but he himself dresses appallingly in my book. 

Women seem to be wearing boiler suits/coveralls lately my wife has a pair. 

Not a look for me though. 

Thanks.

That is all I was wondering. I had no idea they were or are becoming a streetwear style. I am surprised a bit they would appeal to most of this denim community as part of their casual wear but I am glad to now be “enlightened”.

As a side note, coveralls were pretty popular in Europe with women last Summer. They can look pretty nice actually. I've never seen a man wearing one "in the wild" but that doesn't mean anything.

Edited by JDelage

Dawson Denim did some good looking wabash coveralls some time back... IIRC they were pricey... that aside, their model Leon wore them well... 

https://www.dawsondenim.com/products/coveralls

Agree with @JDelage re women rocking them noticeably well... Mrs MJF9 has been wearing them in recent years...

Edited by MJF9

Thank @MJF9 that is a beautiful looking coverall! maybe i'll inform if its still possible to have this made again

As for which occasion I would need to dress in a coverall? I think that question is besides the point. Is there some unwritten rule that prohibits one from wearing a coverall in my own time? I agree it would raise a lot of eyebrows wearing a coverall to my work (desk worker) but I see no problem wearing it combined with other garments in a leisure time environment. You might consider military style clothing more socially accepted (and it most likely is) but where I live even wearing cuffed denim with an A2 leather jacket seems out of the ordinary. 

It's true that women seem to be wearing them mostly these days though and to cool effect

found this picture from the club stubborn coverall

cs.jpg

^

+ 1!!! 

coveralls are extremely stylish IMO, one step further from the bib overalls I love so much... perfect for layering and total looks

aside from workwear / I know I posted this back in the tcb20s threads back in time / in 1920 the futurist designer THAYAHT designed a unisex jumpsuit known as the Tu Ta (he went on to work with Vionnet) and Stepanova / Rodchenko designed and wore a nice wool and leather one to express the time they lived in, wanted to live in...

some related links...

https://process.arts.ac.uk/sites/default/files/flavia-loscialpo.pdf

https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O297713/ensemble-rodchenko-aleksandr-mikailovich/

as for fashion items needing to fulfil function; surely, as noted earlier a forum like this points most pointedly to the delinking of garment from historical function (and not just linked to cosplay); as to whether they are stylish or not; that is up to the wearer; if anyone can, @SLAB can ftw!

and thanks to @JDelage for links to siren suit...

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

Arms tied around the waist for dress down Friday's..

I saw a gentleman (my age) yesterday morning walking his pooch in Endcliffe park dressed in a short cropped J-24, purple tu-tu, denim short-shorts over the top of black leggins with white skulls and Doc Martens, i said  'morning' and both eyebrows stayed insitu so i'm sure Slab in this boilersuit wouldn't even cause a modest Roger Moore-esque elevation.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

3 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

i'm sure Slab in this boilersuit wouldn't even cause a modest Roger Moore-esque elevation.

If Slab’s boiler suit was orange and he was wearing it in a villain’s lair in a dormant/extinct volcano along with 100 similarly attired folk, then I think Roger Moore’s eyebrows would definitely be heading north!

5 hours ago, SLAB said:

Tk

found this picture from the club stubborn coverall

cs.jpg

First, my question was never, “Which occasion you would need to wear the coverall” but the strawman arguments have certainly enlivened the forum a bit.

That photo is a perfect response to what I thought an innocent question...its an incredible style and fits well with the wearer’s beard. So much so that I would be interested in a pair myself.

Being soneone who wears coveralls for atleast half of every work week, I usually just look forward to getting to put them in the locker at days end but I would love to have a pair for trips to the Pacific NW when I rely on public transpo like the fellow pictured.

Bud (nee Pedro)...Lol

Okay, wasn’t gonna say anything more, but clearly this isn’t gonna be let to rest, so:

Not sure where you’re coming from, but “bud” here is primarily (exclusively?) used as a term of mild endearment—similar to “pal” or “friend”. What’s with the obsession about it being some sort of underhanded condescension? Whether or not it was your intention from the start, at this point you really are picking fights out of thin air here. Get over it, guy.

Edited by julian-wolf

Bartles post reminded me about the last time I wore what we called 'bib and brace' or dungarees... during my days partying between college and uni...  at an underground acid house rave in the summer of love in Blackburn in some abandoned warehouse...

The ‘bib and brace’ were baggy af. I wore them with Adidas shell toes and big fat red laces – courtesy of a cool shop called Geese in Manchester.  We'd drove from a nightclub in Liverpool when it shut at 2am (the licensing hours in the old days), joined the party convoy on the motorway (mobile phone-less) who led cars from everywhere into this 'repurposed' building in some industrial wasteland in the middle of Lancashire (Thatcherite legacy)

It was a brilliant night, good vibes and happy clubbers all round ahem... well that was until, just as the sun was rising, a full squadron of riot police in full riot gear, batons and shields, with police dogs, piled through the doors. WTF. Talk about OTT.  Who knows how we managed to escape intact but that we did… and we got on our merry way post haste… only to break down at the roundabout with the head gasket blown and we had to get towed home... in the car my mate had borrowed off her Mum (yes yes yes there unfolds another story). 

Anyway, this harmless party was splattered all over the news - the Scum newspaper's headline the following Monday was all about these scally ravers bricking the poor old bill and the local and national news joined in. Never heard such nonsense. Radio 1 joined the bandwagon of tutting anti-raver condemnation -  ironically only to shortly afterwards switch sides and reinvent themselves as some kind of dance station... f'ing turncoats, I never forgot even if they did!

That night was made even more amusing as when I got home I discovered I'd raved that much that my new silk boxers (what?) had dissolved and all I was left with was a tatty waistband and seams with a nice blue backside (pretty sure it was synthetic indigo rather than natural though, sadly).

It may be xx years ago but the memory has faded little... unlike them 'bib and brace' which I bet I put some sick fadez in that night... long gone… if only I knew one day they would have held a special place in my modest collection

Never wore ‘bib and brace’ since and probably never will again - it wouldn't feel right

Anyway… for those who made it this far without yawning… well done… the relevant question is…

Was that an appropriate occasion for rocking 'bib and brace'???  Of course it was!!  Period correct, in fact.

Edited by MJF9

Great tale and memories @MJF9, those were the days eh! I used to wear my second-hand Lee dungarees (jelt denim I think and bought from Flip in Covent Garden) with a Hanes beefy-t and black Palladiums to raves around east and south London in the late 80s. I thought I was Huckleberry Finn! Wish Id kept ‘em...

Geese was a great shop - Back Pool Folds was the little street it was on if I remember rightly.

7 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Okay, wasn’t gonna say anything more, but clearly this isn’t gonna be let to rest, so:

Not sure where you’re coming from, but “bud” here is primarily (exclusively?) used as a term of mild endearment—similar to “pal” or “friend”. What’s with the obsession about it being some sort of underhanded condescension? Whether or not it was your intention from the start, at this point you really are picking fights out of thin air here. Get over it, guy.

@Maynard Friedman @Geeman ha brilliant - I suspected you two OGs were in on the act! Right place, right time or wrong place, wrong time? Ah, who cares. From 88 to max 91, it was undoubtedly a micro culture at a moment in time before things went mainstream.

@Maynard Friedmanhave you checked Yahoo Auctions for those Lee jelt denim dungarees??? Probably on there for a few grand now!! I cannot for the life of me remember what mine were but likely to have got them from Aflecks Palace or Quiggins. Digressing further, I remember the changing room I was in in Aflecks trying on a second hand (nowadays we’d call in vintage) Levi denim jacket when I first heard the Happy Mondays Bummed album (on cassette, of course). Went straight out to buy it. Never got the Levi’s jacket... also probably now going for a song on Yahoo :).

Right... back to the new reality!

There's a few more of us lurking in the shadows, over the years we've been having a bit of a 'decrepit ravers unite' kind of dialogue over on that other forum, you should check it ou....oh yea
Anywho, damn right! the filth were so heavy handed back then, i remember one time we'd driven to a rave over in Manchester which had either been raided or we never found it so we ended up driving back over the Pennines in the early hours, i was in the back of a Peugeot 205, i was probably only 16yrs old (it would have been around 89/90) we parked up next to Mam Tor (which is in the middle of nowhere with no houses for miles around so we could wait for the other car to catch us up, the nearest village is Castleton, so i pulled out my old twin cassette deck and some tapes (my mom still uses that Sharp twin cassette deck in her greenhouse, things were built to last back then) put it on the roof of the car and waited for the rest of the crew to turn up... when they did we decided, rather than go home dejected we would make a night of it... so we walked up to the trig point at the top of Mam Tor which is less than 1mile from where we had parked, fired up the tapes and waited for the sun to come up... next thing blue flashing lights and a load of rozzes came whizzing up the hill, for what reason i don't know, we had already eaten the strawberries :) so apart from possession of red-seal the only crimes we were committed were against fashion... anyhow, they chased us all over the fucking Peaks, torches flashing and such, shouting that they were going to get a dog unit unless we gave ourselves up. We were all as paranoid as fuck so ended up walking home to Sheffield which took 3hrs covered from head to toe in mud and grass stains, because we daren't go back to the cars, our soaking wet 20" bottoms dragging on the road behind us.

I never had a pair of dungarees, although my friends used to buy them from 20th Century Clothing which was a basement shop just down the street from The Limit, they also sold 'Move Over Manchester' t-shirts because lets face it.. Sheffield was the true spiritual home of electronic music after all ;) saying that, one of my favourite rave joints was always The Porter House over in Retford. Only point i would disagree on here is Radio1..c'mon!!! no raver in his/her 'right mind' would have ever tuned in to Radio1.... but i supposet we often wern't.
Edited by Double 0 Soul

Mmmmm red seal :P

I think M's point was BBC/Radio 1 vilified the scene at first till they saw it growing then royally jumped onto the bandwagon and promoted themselves as the UKS leading dance station.

Wet 20 inch hems :D. Great calves workout

There was a 'Sweey Harmony' exhibition of rave culture' over in Manchester around Christmas time, one of the exibits was some dude who realising rave would be part of our cultural fabric decided to keep every flyer, every item of clothing, absolutely everything...even down to the bus tickeks which he got en route to raves, i was going to ask killer-b if he wanted to come along, but then i didn't end up going myself in the end...

Have you seen what KLF are up to? https://www.mumufication.com/about/ the 'Over 80?' video is just hillarious.

On 2/3/2020 at 9:25 PM, MJF9 said:

I wore them with Adidas shell toes and big fat red laces – courtesy of a cool shop called Geese in Manchester. 

Thought you might appreciate these MJ...

In my folks attic i have a box of old pumps from my misspent/wellspent youth, my dad often uses them for doing the gardening and such, it does makes me smile when i see him tending his vegatable patch....looking like an extra from WildStyle...

IMG_8711

Sorry about the lighting, its pretty dark up there.

IMG_8711

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic