SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

8 hours ago, ZoaldeycK said:

Hi , im the owner of Indonesian Denim brand WARPWEFT COMPANY...

Im quite interested and curious about the new hyped Relax Tapered - Carrot cut jeans. Is it only apply to the westerner with a bigger top block and thigh build? because in Indonesia it is kinda hard to find a person who can fit well in a 12.5" thigh and 11.5" Front rise measurement jeans (im using size 32 as a reference).

Have been trying to make some prototype for this cut , Because im trying to contact some US or EU denim store in the near future and i think this cuts is kind of very popular right now. So i decided to learn about this. But hard to find a good reference for this cut as like i said above , it is hard to find a western build men here to give it a try.

Is it possible if you guys give me an input on what is the main benefits of this new relax tapered cut? Is it to allow a bigger build westerner to have a comfortable topblock while able to rock a sneakers game?

Thanks

H

I travel a bit and my observation is that westerners no longer hold a monopoly on unhealthy BMI ;-)

Excessive caloric intake seems to go hand-in-hand with the offsprings of thin hard-working parentswho  have the kind of money required to play in the bespoke denim game.

;-)

17 hours ago, ZoaldeycK said:

Is it possible if you guys give me an input on what is the main benefits of this new relax tapered cut? Is it to allow a bigger build westerner to have a comfortable topblock while able to rock a sneakers game?

I love relaxed taper as someone with a larger bum and thighs than most 'westerners' (typical among some Jews and middle eastern people). The higher rise fits over the bum so you can bend over properly, and the thighs don't feel like they are going to split when you put pressure on them but can still end up with a slim silhouette and accentuate the boots. Plus I want slim jeans to look slim relaxed and comfortable but the classic slim often looks skinny on me. 

9 hours ago, Pedro said:

I travel a bit and my observation is that westerners no longer hold a monopoly on unhealthy BMI ;-)

Excessive caloric intake seems to go hand-in-hand with the offsprings of thin hard-working parentswho  have the kind of money required to play in the bespoke denim game.

;-)

Not just to do with eating too much, many body types. Just store more mass in the bum and thighs than others. 

People who lift weights often end up with larger thighs and glutes for a given waist size. That's my case and I find regular / straight jeans to be most comfortable. The IH 634 are the tightest pants in my closet...

3 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

Any recommendations for a double pronged belt, not too thick, in black?  Thanks!

I have a one of his belts and love it. (While the bottom of the belt buckle does not poke you when you are sitting, one needs to be mindful when doffing your knits. )

https://www.pigeontreecrafting.com/collections/belts-1/products/1-5-black-leather-belt-brass-firefighters-quick-release-belt-english-bridle-full-grain-leather-teardrop-made-to-order-los-angeles-ca-usa

On 12/3/2018 at 7:51 PM, Iron Horse said:

Not to be pedantic, but it’s a watch pocket, not a coin pocket.

That said, lint.

Yes, an important distinction.

I carry my large denomination paper money in that pocket when out after dark. The ladyboys in most tourist areas of Thailand get very aggressive when you walk by and they are not trying to cop a feel of your extraordinary vintage denim...Lol. Those hands are cleaning out the unsuspecting tourists pockets. 

The watch pocket takes an extra second or two for them to dig into which should be enough time for a guy to have pushed them away....now if your reaction time is blunted by booze or you happen to enjoy TSA style pat downs then the watch pocket is not going to protect your cash. 

TMI ?  Lol

Edited by Pedro

On 11/19/2018 at 11:16 PM, Geeman said:

I'm familiar with the area and will be back in a few weeks. Is it near the old Take 5 and Crow denim store?

Have yu tried any Nama Denim Products yet?

Yep. The Machine shares a brick wall with the old TAKE-5 shop (now out of business). 

Tel: 081-836-5729

You may already know about the PRONTO flagship store which is in Siam Square Soi-2. This is a street level shop and has the largest selection of Japanese denim that I am aware of and also many other Japanese Vintage style garments.

Tel: 02-251-7448

Concerning Nama...Terminal 21 had a big bespoke denim expo a few years ago and I tried out some of their light weight chambray shirts but they were not sized for pumpui farang so I had Ben make me two custom tailored. Vipiana?

363FC1F7-B557-4E78-A377-8431FAD3DA44.jpeg

Edited by Pedro

1 hour ago, Geeman said:

Yeah spent a lot of money  in most of the pronto stores over the years! 

I have a shirt and chore coat from Nama, very pleased with both

I should have been more articulate. Nama quality of materials & construction looked great...the only trouble I had was 90%+ of the customers at the expo were Thai so that is what size garments were on display. 

I have no proof of this next claim but I would bet that the Thai population wears more denim per capita than any other country. (Atleast that I have been to...Lol)

The great majority are not high end but denim is such a durable material and there is a price point to meet just about every income bracket over here. Thais just love denim.  ;-)

1 hour ago, piece keeper said:

Can anyone recommend a denim brand that has a "phone pocket"? Something like this (doesn't necessarily have to be the same location): 

Reveal hidden contents

B8D257E6-30D0-42C2-93B3-5DDD5EDF25CA.jpeg

Thanks in advance!

I have only seen those side pockets on loose fitting carpenter or painter dungarees. Traditionally used for pencils & utility knives (etc) but nowadays cell phones. 

I am a big fan of modifying my clothes to fit my needs. A trusty sewing machine and learning basic skills could allow you to add such a pocket to any jeans.

11 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Tender Co. does a number of jeans with "passenger" pockets at a similar point on the leg

Thanks, I'll take a look!

10 hours ago, Pedro said:

I have only seen those side pockets on loose fitting carpenter or painter dungarees. Traditionally used for pencils & utility knives (etc) but nowadays cell phones. 

I am a big fan of modifying my clothes to fit my needs. A trusty sewing machine and learning basic skills could allow you to add such a pocket to any jeans.

A little looser fit is totally fine with me, but Carhartt is a bit too loose and look like bell bottoms on me. I had a pair of straight leg Sugarcanes back in the day and those were my favorite-fitting pair. So if you've any suggestions on looser pants I'm all ears!

As for sewing, that's true, though I thought heavyweight denim required heavier-duty machines (which I don't have) to get through the fabric? Plus, I don't trust my beginner-level knowledge on a pair of pants that may be a couple hundred of dollars X_X

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic