SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

On 2/3/2018 at 7:03 AM, Cucoo said:

2 MB is a pretty hard limit, yeah, but webspace doesn't come cheap so I understand why. I think using a third party hoster like Imgur will be the best option again now, I'm way too lazy to resize pictures before uploading ;)

I've started emailing photos to myself and I can choose the size of the pictures to be >1MB then just saving the emailed photos to my phone to be uploaded

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 1:37 PM, i_denim said:

As you are on the lookout for jeans with a tapered, high-rise fit, have you considered Lee 101 Cinch Tapered? It's made of awesome sanforized 16 oz. denim that fades like a boss, the construction is impeccable and the cut is precisely what it says on the tin, with a proper, PROPER high rise unlike the Japanese "high rise" pretenders.

Something to consider. It's discontinued (?) but should be available via certain eBay seller. My tastes have moved on from this sort of fit but I still love love love my pair and I'm looking forward to wearing it in the summer, as this fit holds its own when worn with low sneakers or other nimble footwear.

(Photo from Pinterest, added here for reference.)

Lee101CinchTapered.jpg

Huh, weird. Must just be a trick of how the model's wearing them, I guess.

edit: Is the rear rise perhaps (relatively speaking) very low? Neither the cinch nor the rear pockets really look like they're sitting at the right place in any of the pictures I can find.

Edited by julian-wolf

1 hour ago, julian-wolf said:

Huh, weird. Must just be a trick of how the model's wearing them, I guess.

edit: Is the rear rise perhaps (relatively speaking) very low? Neither the cinch nor the rear pockets really look like they're sitting at the right place in any of the pictures I can find.

I haven’t found anything unusual about the rear rise. I could wear my pair just under my belly-button if I wanted to but I tend to have them just a bit lower, and the back pockets end up right about where they should. I think in most of the (very few) photos there are the model is wearing a vastly oversized pair, making the dimensions appear all sorts of wonky; the photo I posted earlier is the most accurate depiction, I feel, but that guy is either very thin and wearing a very small pair relative to his height, or he is low-riding them to such extent that if we could see the backside he’d be sporting a massive diaper-butt.

Does anyone know a good way of getting bed bugs out of raw denim without ruining them in the dryer? I read that putting clothing in the freezer at 0 celsius for 4 days would kill them, would this damage the denim? I know some people clean like this but 4 days seems excessive

On 22/02/2018 at 6:01 AM, avonalliv8 said:

havent been back to NYC in a bit - whats happened with blue in green? do they not focus as much on denim anymore? or, is ecommerce just not a focus?

They've expanded the store and definitely don't focus as much on raw denim. They've expanded their other stock and have some of the best done washed denim I've if you're into that. Bummer they don't seem to be stocking samurai anymore

What happens if I wear unsanforized jeans without a soak or wash and soak them after 5-10 wears?

The idea is to buy true to size, stretch it an inch in the waist and then soak/wash so it shrinks and goes back to tag size. I have researched the brand, it stretches 1 inch in the waist and shrinks 1 inch upon washing.

@i_denim, it's great that you're so excited about all this, but you're making it much, much more complicated than it needs to be. For your first pair, why not just follow the tried and true methods that everyone's been recommending? There's plenty of time for experimenting down the line, once you have a little experience and more of an idea of what you want to get out of a pair of jeans.

On 01/03/2018 at 4:37 AM, i_denim said:

What happens if I wear unsanforized jeans without a soak or wash and soak them after 5-10 wears?

The idea is to buy true to size, stretch it an inch in the waist and then soak/wash so it shrinks and goes back to tag size. I have researched the brand, it stretches 1 inch in the waist and shrinks 1 inch upon washing.

This will be a waste of time. The initial soak/washes are to deal with the properties of the unsanforized denim. Such as shrink, and removal of starch etc etc. 

You won't achieve any stretch by wearing and attempting to stretch  unsoaked - unsanforized denim. All that effort will be completely eradicated when they're soaked. 

Just turn inside out and soak for minimum of 30 mins in luke warm water, then wear. 

Maybe soak or machine wash again to remove all remaining shrinkage. That's it. 

Ignore 'tag size' just use measurements given. 

(Always turn inside out)

2 hours ago, lance said:

Anyone know what happened to Nordic Denim House? I don’t know what made me think of them but when I did a search, they seem to no longer be in business; just curious.

Taavi who used to run it moved to SE Asia and rocks a lot of versace silk shirts....

6 hours ago, lance said:

Anyone know what happened to Nordic Denim House? I don’t know what made me think of them but when I did a search, they seem to no longer be in business; just curious.

How funny Lance, I googled Nordic Denim House earlier today too! They seem to have closed down. Denim nostalgia, eh?...

Has anyone had any experience with fabric degradation by rusting rivets and the like? I had a Nudie tshirt that I hung up to dry with clothespins. After it dried there where some rust spots from them. Fast forward a year or so and there where holes where the rust spots once where. 

In Tokyo - any recommendations for Japanese denim? Any guide somewhere?

I'm thinking about buying Flat Head, sold on self-edge and seems cheaper here. Also someone recommended Warehouse, they are most accurate vintage repro brand with authentic vintage fades or something.

Not a fan of PBJ, had a pair awhile ago, didn't fade well, got busted in the crotch after short time.

Any tips?

Edited by brainmonster

in Ueno there's Hinoya as well as Americaya down the street within both of those stores you'll find pretty much any big japanese denim brand. Harajuku is where most brand specific stores are. Ebisu is where i found Evisu and Warehouse by accident 

On 3/1/2018 at 6:20 AM, bschenk8 said:

Does anyone know a good way of getting bed bugs out of raw denim without ruining them in the dryer? I read that putting clothing in the freezer at 0 celsius for 4 days would kill them, would this damage the denim? I know some people clean like this but 4 days seems excessive

I got bedbugs in my jeans before. I put mine in the drier PLUS put them in the freezer for 4 days. The denim doesn't look 100% but it's part of the "personalizing" process lol. But the crotch did bust because it softened up the denim a bunch, but I just patched them and wear them fine now, they feel super broken in.

Trust me, you have got to get rid of the bedbugs before they take over your house. You could end up spending way more money on a new mattress or exterminators, getting rid of bedbugs should be top priority. Do not fuck with them, they can and will take over your life and cause huge problems if you don't solve the problem early before they multiply out of control.

On 3/6/2018 at 8:59 AM, nycsurfer530 said:

I would check out warehouse for sure! I've read the store there has besides warehouse goods but also some cool duck diggers, hellers cafe, and vintage pieces. 

I went to warehouse today and I thought the jeans looked super normal. The faded samples they had just looked like normal beat up levi's. But maybe that's the point. Also checked out Studio D'Artisan which was around the corner and same impression, I didn't see anything to justify the $240 or so cost of the denim. They were definitely "boutiques" and the sales staff looked a little pissed off at these places when I walked in, I'm wearing pure faded-ass original 30 year-old vintage clothing, maybe they thought I looked to poor to afford the stuff there but it's the look I like.

I checked out sugar cane, Japan Blue, iron heart. They just seem a little more special with textured fabric, or heavy duty high OZ denim, etc., that seems to justify the high cost of boutique denim. Plus they were cheaper. I think they'd match well with my current wardrobe which consists mostly of kinda faded retro stuff. These jeans just LOOK a little more expensive to me, anyway, and happen to be cheaper.

Any other recommendations based on my preferences above would be helpful! 

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic