SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

6 minutes ago, Geeman said:

I use Grailed and everything's sold. 

(Shameless plug , momo and RMC for sale)

https://www.grailed.com/users/myitems/4878

I also listed on grailed. Some Stevenson and a pair of LVC and I have a Gladhand/Gangsterville jacket. I just wasnt sure if maybe our little Japanese brands were to obscure for Grailed. 

(Side note: Ive actually been watching your RMC shirt on there. Didnt know it was a SUFU family hahah)

On 1/8/2018 at 11:12 AM, ranonranonarat said:

shit man it’s been a while. anyone here who remembers me still know what happened to everyone else? 

Ranon, good too see you, bud. I took a few-years vacation as well. 

On 1/9/2018 at 3:24 PM, lance said:

Is Gordon still associated with Blue in Green?

Lance, yes he is, and replied to a few of my emails over the last six months. Though the delays in his responses give me the sense that he's less directly at the helm (or in the store) than he used to be, possibly due to the store's expansion. Dunno, but when he hasn't replied himself directly, I've received replies from his always-friendly staff.

On 12/17/2017 at 3:26 AM, Spiraltoy said:

As a quite short person (170cm/5’7), I’ve often wondered about the fact that most Japanese denim only come in one length. This works ok if it’s a true straight cut but what about tapered cuts like the ‘66 or more modern cuts. The fit would be drastically different on a person of my height compared to one who doesn’t need to hem at all. I need the jeans hemmed at about 29 inches (after shrinkage) compared to the “36 that most jeans come in. Thoughts?

Spiraltoy, I'm not sure if this question was answered to-point, but being a less than 30" inseam wearer myself (I like 'em unstacked, high and cuffed), and preferential to tapered cuts, I've found that tapered cuts these days will increase in leg opening as they are hemmed. This is the case for me with Oni's relax taper, Tanuki, Momtaro tight taper and SDA's Denimio contest 002's. The continuous taper from knee-down usually isn't as drastic as it may seem, so you might have a variance of only .25"-.3" across when hemmed from 33" inseam to 29". So "drastic" isn't a word I'd use. Keep in mind too that after shrinkage, a 36" inseam may only end up being 33-34".

13 hours ago, mlyngard said:

Spiraltoy, I'm not sure if this question was answered to-point, but being a less than 30" inseam wearer myself (I like 'em unstacked, high and cuffed), and preferential to tapered cuts, I've found that tapered cuts these days will increase in leg opening as they are hemmed. This is the case for me with Oni's relax taper, Tanuki, Momtaro tight taper and SDA's Denimio contest 002's. The continuous taper from knee-down usually isn't as drastic as it may seem, so you might have a variance of only .25"-.3" across when hemmed from 33" inseam to 29". So "drastic" isn't a word I'd use. Keep in mind too that after shrinkage, a 36" inseam may only end up being 33-34".

Giles at Ironheart suggests using this method to calculate the effect oh hemming on tapered jeans. Sure theres a bit of variation due to degree of taper pre/post soak etc but works as a guide

Total inseam in inches minus 13 = Lower leg

Knee minus hem in inches = Taper

Taper/Lower Leg = Taper per inch (TPI)

Number of inches you want to shorten inseam by multiplied by TPI equals the amount the hem will be larger than original hem

5 hours ago, UkeNo said:

John Lofgren Sneaker sizing in UK? 

I'm looking at the Denim Lofgrens and have seen recommendations to size down half a size from standard US sizing. 

I'm a UK 10, so should I be buying a US11 or a US10 as they run a bit big? 

Thanks

They run slightly longer than normal (i.e. Vans, New Balance, Adidas), but about the same as Converse. I measure a 9.0 US, and a 8.5 US in these Lofgren's fit well. 

Are there any pics of the Trophy 1605BK Black Dirt Denim as a faded pair only?  I've read that the pair fades to gray but I want to see it for myself to ge an idea.  Can't find a picture anywhere of a heavy fades pair, only as a new pair, which is odd.

Does anyone know how to read Japanese because I'm trying to purchase something from Bears on Rakuten, and I don't know what option to choose in the dropdown box.

Here is the question thingo:

デニム永久保障の要不要 

And these are the two options you can choose from:

付けない(BEARS '印を押さない)

付ける(BEARS '印を押す)

I tried using Google translate and other online translators, but I still don't know what they mean haha Anyone able to help out?

17 minutes ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

They do have a international site where all things should be translated into English.

But if I see that correctly it's about a stamp on the leather patch. Choose the first option you have posted.

Yeah, I went on the international site where it was already translated, but I couldn't understand what it was referring to... Ended up trying the Japanese site and using other online translators to see if it came up with something I could understand. It ended up saying the following on global Rakuten:

デニム永久保障の要不要 = Unnecessary of the denim eternal security required

付けない(BEARS '印を押さない)= I do not attach it (I do not push the BEARS' mark)

付ける(BEARS '印を押す)= Attach (I push the BEARS' mark)

I guess I'll choose the first option, so thanks for your input!

I think I've got another month or two before my Buzz Rickson's chambray has an elbow blowout. Nothing's threadbare, but I'm getting nervous about a rip. Do I sew on elbow patches myself, send it out early to get patched professionally (or darned), or wait and see how long it actually lasts? Thoughts on course of action and recommendations on places to send in the U.S. would be appreciated. Cheers.

Edited by MileHighEvertonian

The sooner you catch any weakening of the the fabric the better. Just do a search here or on visible mending on line. Do it you self and take time doing it. It will feel much more rewarding. Just my 2cent.

Where do you guys find Japanese fit inspo? I'm interested in American Leisure (is that the word?) style... jeans, military jackets, loafers/wingtips, boots, sweatshirts, oxford shirts, that sort of vibe. Open to insta accounts, magazines, whatever. 

Something along these lines:
103899.jpg.5b2920ae6631492b3085f4e524d716dc.jpg

and Mr. Hayashi's impeccable style: http://www.resolute.jp/style.html

Is there a particular reason why Japanese Denim makers don't produce much of any if at all of black slevedge?  I'm awaiting my Trophy 1605bk for next week and was wondering why black denim is produced very little by most of the brands.  Does Kuroki Mills etc play some role in this?

Edited by mlwdp

How do you guys feel about regular registered airmail vs. EMS for delivery? I know it's standard from Japan, but if I were to use it, it would cost $25 (versus the $10 it costs currently) to send a shirt to Europe, for example. Is the added cost worth cutting down on the wait time? 

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic