SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

The rep system used to be different and not all reps were worth a single unit. If you were repped by another member with high rep power, that rep you received would also be relatively high, whilst a rep from someone with little rep power was not worth much.

Another differences was that the ability to rep wasn't unlimited and if you repped another member too many times, you'd have to wait some time (or rep others) until you could rep that particular member again. There are many comments that allude to this in older posts (e.g. "must spread"). Finally, I don't think you used to be able to rep until you had made 50 posts.

As a quite short person (170cm/5’7), I’ve often wondered about the fact that most Japanese denim only come in one length. This works ok if it’s a true straight cut but what about tapered cuts like the ‘66 or more modern cuts. The fit would be drastically different on a person of my height compared to one who doesn’t need to hem at all. I need the jeans hemmed at about 29 inches (after shrinkage) compared to the “36 that most jeans come in. Thoughts?

On 17.12.2017 at 12:30 PM, Iron Horse said:

Maybe that's why these days certain top brands are moving to 32 being the standard inseam. 

yes, and guys like me who need inseams no less than 33 are left aside (luckily pbj and ooe shrink to 33" inseam)

If you offer inseams at 34" you can serve everyone up to a 34" leg.

Any shorter and you start to exclude customers depending on your market base. Its easier to hem than adding length to a pair of jeans.

At a 30" inseam myself, I'm just used to double rolling.

Brands like orSlow have more Japanese orientated inseams ranging from 29"-31" depending on the waist size. 

On 12/16/2017 at 2:00 PM, theguywhoknewthatguy said:

Going to be in Thailand soon and want to visit Pronto Denim. Looks like they have a number of stores. Does anybody know what the flagship store is?

Made it to Bangkok and can answer this question! Asked an employee and they said the Siam Square SOI 2 store is their flag ship. https://goo.gl/maps/4pEys6abGr22.

It's multiple stories and they seemed to carry all of their products as opposed to some other stores that just carry a subset. So many collaborations! Picked up the full count x Pronto 10th anniversary pair.

On 19/12/2017 at 9:39 AM, kicks79 said:

If you offer inseams at 34" you can serve everyone up to a 34" leg.

Any shorter and you start to exclude customers depending on your market base. Its easier to hem than adding length to a pair of jeans.

At a 30" inseam myself, I'm just used to double rolling.

Brands like orSlow have more Japanese orientated inseams ranging from 29"-31" depending on the waist size. 

i'm 6'1 and the best thing about buying orslow denim was not having to worry about getting them hemmed. first pair of jeans in about a decade where i didn't need any alterations.

12 hours ago, conqueror said:

i'm 6'1 and the best thing about buying orslow denim was not having to worry about getting them hemmed. first pair of jeans in about a decade where i didn't need any alterations.

I supposed Orslows are up to 31" inseams and that must have been short for you...

14 hours ago, dau said:

I supposed Orslows are up to 31" inseams and that must have been short for you...

i have a size 2 and the inseam is 32" which is fine. saying that, i might need to buy a size 3 eventually as i've put on a decent amount of weight since i bought these about 18mths ago. didn't think i would like the zip fly but i think i prefer it at this point. blasphemy i know...

Going to Japan in a week! Luckily there's plenty of cool shopping recs posted all around superdenim but I'd love to hear any normal recommendations from you guys. Food, places, overrated destinations, general musings... fire away!

On 2017-12-23 at 7:21 AM, LQW said:

Going to Japan in a week! Luckily there's plenty of cool shopping recs posted all around superdenim but I'd love to hear any normal recommendations from you guys. Food, places, overrated destinations, general musings... fire away!

Nakameguru is great. Lots of nice stores and eataries (Nigel Cabourn army gym, Seirinkan (pizza), J'antiques (best vintage store ever) and more. Daikanyama is quite close and equally hip with great stores and eataries. Blue Blue has a store here and so does UES. Lovely aereas both. Just walking around I found lots of really cool stores/places. 

On 12/23/2017 at 2:21 PM, LQW said:

What kinds of stores/brands are you interested in?

My favorite part of Tokyo is taking day trips out of Tokyo (cop out answer). Kawaguchiko is a great spot for viewing Fuji, for example. There's also Hakone, Kamakura, Enoshima, Yokohama, etc.

Overrated? Shibuya Scramble didn't really impress me, but maybe because I've been in Asia for a while. Harajuku Takeshita is interesting only for the freaky middle-aged men dressed as neon school girls. If you've been to Kyoto/Nara/anywhere historical in Japan then I don't Sensoji will impress you too much. Do go to Robot Restaurant (but don't eat the food there). 

Occasionally people cross-post Instagram photos in the threads, which seem to be infinitely sized when viewing on an iPhone and make it impossible to scroll past or continue viewing that thread. Consequently I have to back out of the thread.

Does anyone else experience this or know how to prevent it from happening?

7 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Occasionally people cross-post Instagram photos in the threads, which seem to be infinitely sized when viewing on an iPhone and make it impossible to scroll past or continue viewing that thread. Consequently I have to back out of the thread.

Mmh doesn't happen on Android smartphones.. I would suggest you to change phone!

12 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

im on iPhone and it does not do this.  Everything looks totally normal.    I use Chrome browser if that helps.  

Slim fitting “modern style” denim with slightly higher rise(not relax taper)

Would appreciate any reccomendations.  My current collection is more of a 50s style with wider legs (Roy,IH 634 LF GREASER etc)mostly due to the fact that I usually ha e had an issue with the lower rise pairs I’ve tried (IH633).  So had to go more retro to get the rise.

Can anyone suggest a pair that is slim straight or with a slight taper that runs a bit higher in the rise than 11 at a 35 to 36 waist. Also looking for something with thighs closer to 12.5 

For example my ideal pair would be a Railcar spike, neat, no adornments or arc, slimmer thighs, but the rise is too,low 

thanks in advance 

Edited by kbuzz

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic