SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Im looking for a pair of black raws, though I lean more towards an avant-garde, futuristic and dark aesthetic, rather than the more 'americana' styles that I have seen. Do you have any suggestions for what may work for me? I have a pair of PBJs and Visvims and would like something that is pretty slim, and high quality.

Thank you :)

21 hours ago, HGS said:

@e_o not really sure what jeans might fit that exact aesthetic, but these might be up your alley

http://www.selfedge.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1453

I am breaking in a pair, they are a nice slim fit and very dark (black warp/weft), and a great value

My favourite jeans that I have ever owned

• 2 weeks later...

To people that tumble dry their jeans: do you chuck it in the dryer right after you pull it from the washing machine? I remember that I used to only soak my jeans to shrink them, but then it turned to machine washing them. I'm now at a stage where I kinda wanna try doing a machine wash + tumble, but am not sure. It seems that tumble drying will help your jeans shrink more, thus producing better seam puckering, roping, etc. Maybe I'm overcomplicating it...

@propellerbeanie yes, right after the wash is done.  A machine dry does help with shrink and emphasizes the characteristics you mentioned.  I just threw a new pair in a machine wash/dry to try to maximize shrinkage so I could throw em in the machine down the road without too much additional shrinkage.

Things that I think would affect how much shrink you get in the dryer would be your wash cycle (how wet the jeans are when you open the machine), and the dryer temp.

@HGS I ended up doing exactly that. Hot machine wash with a fast spin, but tumble dried on low (whatever is used for delicates). Took a little while to dry, but at least the patch doesn't look like crap. Jeans are really soft now, which is a welcome change, and I'm happy with the results! I may end up tumble drying my jeans from now on...

On 21/09/2017 at 4:53 PM, HGS said:

@e_o not really sure what jeans might fit that exact aesthetic, but these might be up your alley

http://www.selfedge.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1453

I am breaking in a pair, they are a nice slim fit and very dark (black warp/weft), and a great value

Thank you for this. I will look into them. I think they are exactly what I am looking for. 

• 2 weeks later...

Found this denim jacket....here are some pictures of it.  Details - denim feels like average weight, maybe 14 oz.  Small E red tab but large E tag where patch usually is.  Made in USA.  Non-selvedge denim.  Can anybody tell me anything about this jacket?  All that I really know is that it's made after 1970-something and Made in the US.  Specifically, I am interested in the origin of the "LEVIS Casuals" tag as it related to a jacket like this.  Also, there is a tag with some codes on it. 

levis1unnamed.jpg

levis2unnamed.jpg

leviIMG_5761.jpg

IMG_5760_(2).jpg

LLLunnamed.jpg

Edited by jeffrx

9 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

The '0299' on the care tag could indicate that it was made in February 1999.

Yes, certainly sounds reasonable.  I'm wondering why the big E on the neck label and the small e on the red tab mostly.  Does this mean it's a LVC production of something from the 80s?  Do they even do that?  LOL  I'm not sure what the point would be. 

Interested in purchasing a pair of Sage's 5th Chieftan, but it's my first time with unsanforized denim. I'm in love with their design and cut, so I'm gonna stick with them. Having some trouble with sizing though. My UB121s in size 30 are my best fitting jeans, and I measured the waist to 33" flat. Would the size 32 Sage with a 34" waist be a good choice for unsanforized? The rest of the measurements are comparable between the two, and I'm mostly concerned with the waist.

The waist is the easiest part to stretch and often stretches back to raw measurements. If your current jeans are a 30 and the new jeans a 32 that may be a bit of a jump in size, although I don't know if UB are  intentionally vanity sized. 

12 hours ago, Geeman said:

The waist is the easiest part to stretch and often stretches back to raw measurements. If your current jeans are a 30 and the new jeans a 32 that may be a bit of a jump in size, although I don't know if UB are  intentionally vanity sized. 

That's my one concern - vanity sizing. The online measurements for UB121s said the waist is 31", which is a full 2" less than what I measured. Trying to get hand measurements from Sage at the moment.

The rise is a little higher on the sage, so take that into account.  Might not make a huge difference.  Also, if you are comparing the UB site measurements to your current pair, keep in mind that the waist in your pair has probably stretched over time, so use that measurement to compare to whatever info you get from Sage.  Make sure you know how they are measuring.

If your current well-fitting jeans measure 33" at the waist, you should get the 32 (34") sage.  If it shrinks to 32, it will stretch to whatever your current waist measurement is.  I am not sure you would want to try the 30 and hope for all that additional stretch. 

Edited by HGS
typo

2 hours ago, HGS said:

If your current well-fitting jeans measure 33" at the waist, you should get the 32 (34") sage.  If it shrinks to 32, it will stretch to whatever your current waist measurement is.  I am not sure you would want to try the 30 and hope for all that additional stretch.

Thank you, this was my hunch, I appreciate the solid advice.

1 hour ago, hudsonjames said:

Does TCB really stand for "Taking Car of Business"?

I believe it stands for "Two Cats Brand". Levi's has long been known as "Two Horses Brand" for the iconic image used on their patches; TCB uses a similar image, but one that features playful cats rather than workhorses.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic