SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

the idea seems totally alien to me to have your jeans altered in such a drastic way, i am talking about that downsizing thing and other such hacks.  would you

On 2017-06-28 at 5:09 AM, volvo240thebest said:

@garden gnomes in space you can imagine how much I'd hate this but I happen to work in a posh environment and for 30 days a year I have to dress accordingly. In winter I get away with a tweed jacket tie jeans and Trickers, in summer sadly it's not possible. I should invest in a bit of proper Ivy Style gear for those occasions in the future.

I know you're all very interested to hear this, anyhoo I've sorted myself quite well with a second hand pair of Church's loafers for a 100 euros. The Aldens I was eyeing on ebay went overly expensive. I dig the look of Weejuns but they look narrow and didn't feel to take a gamble on them this time. It left me a bit of bitter taste as after scouting the world of loafers on the interwebs I came to the conclusion that in the loafer world nothing looks as good as Alden pennies, by far.

ivy style!!!!  i too am reading that book that you have mentioned volvo!!!  a very fascinating read.  i am near the end where they talk about nigo and bathing ape and stuff........loving those van sneekers by moonstar enterprises.  

All - do you think it would be too much to wear indigo wabash pants with a hickory stripe jacket? I suspect the answer to that is, doh, of course, but I'm curious....

1 hour ago, JDelage said:

All - do you think it would be too much to wear indigo wabash pants with a hickory stripe jacket? I suspect the answer to that is, doh, of course, but I'm curious....

It's called power clashing, and you do it because you can.

Hey all,

I've been getting a lot of pity points lately. Chicote is going to fix my SDAs that got wrecked and now my wonderful GF wants to buy me a new pair. I'm trying to keep it low budget, thinking the SC1947 at ~130 is my best best, or maybe a pair of TCB 50s but that's a little more expensive. Any options I'm missing in a similar price bracket? Looking for a simple straight cut pair to serve as my new daily wear. 

Edit: oops I meant to post in the other stickied thread.

Edited by kss447

Tough to beat SC1947's. 130 bucks is damn cheap for that quality, you would probably have to pay a little more if you're not looking into second hand shopping.

But if you're alright paying a little more, perhaps a pair of Porky's for something different? 

On 7/1/2017 at 5:50 AM, machine-language said:

Has anyone ever sent your jeans to a downsizing service and the jeans were basically ruined?  How to deal with that?  I am trying to figure out what would be a fair resolution in that scenario.  It just happened to me and did not expect it at all because the place that I sent them to gets good reviews.

The "center" back seam is now an "off-center" back seam.  Measurements confirm it is actually off-center and not just in my head.  The right half of the rear waistband is 0.8" bigger than the left half of the rear waistband - and on a relatively small person that difference is painfully obvious.  The center back seam is nowhere near the center of my butt, and the back pockets are off center too.  Can't even cover the problem with a long shirt because the back pockets are so off center too.  One half of the upper block is just overall smaller than the other.  Completely unwearable now.

Unless there is some written guarantee, contract, or something of that sort on their site or before you sent them the denim I'm not too sure how you could proceed. Presumably you had a chat with them about it and discussed some form of resolution?

2 hours ago, kevypf597 said:

Any tips to get grease stains out of a t-shirt? First time wearing my new MF t-shirt I was barbecuing and some juices from flipping the food over got on my shirt. I've tried using dish soap already without much luck. Thanks. 

Rub some baby powder into the stains, let it sit for 20 mins. Knock the excess baby powder off the garment and you should see that the remaining baby powder has affixed directly to your stain(s). Now use some anti grease dish soap an flush it with cold water or put it in the wash.

I'll be in Singapore with my kids in late August. I think we're sorted for child-friendly activities although if you have any unusual/lesser known/leftfield suggestions please let me know.

This is a big if, but IF I have any browsing time, what are the good shops for Denimbro types? Tuckshop is the only Bro-certified retail establishment I'm aware of.

@Maynard Friedman  

well, gardens by the bay and the whole marina bay is worth a look. the universal studios, adventure world (or something, a water park it is) on sentosa. pretty sure you'd have that covered including zoo, night safari, chinatown, little india and the likes. the main shopping area is around orchard road, nothing fancy being your typical but busy mall strip. tuckshop are the only ones i'd say are a proper establishment. thedenimstore is worth a look as well but they're kinda like pronto from thailand. 

On 4. heinäkuuta 2017 at 10:57 AM, Foxy2 said:

which area(s) of Berlin will you stay in and plan to explore?

Most of the time we'll be in full tourist mode but one day is reserved for shopping. I guess wifey is mostly interested in Mitte and Charlottenburg and I've been inclined to Scheunenviertel. Any suggestions along these lines (or better ideas) are more than welcome!

I love the mitte and Hackescher Markt/immediate surrounding area and also the area around the old Jewish synagogue has some nice thai restaurants.

One of my favourite places for a quick few days break

22 hours ago, kevypf597 said:

@Bigyen Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try tonight. 

Baby powder probably has a similar effect but corn starch is my go-to for anything like this, especially on leather.  I was making tacos once and a splash from the pan landed on a new pair of suede shoes.  Applied corn starch, let it sit for a while, and it was as if nothing happened. 

is there a national world wide canadian tuxedo day?   us denim heads should make one.  i have been wearing the tux for pretty much the most weekends this year.  yeah, only the weekends.  i wear an uniform on the week days.

Quick question to any US citizens around here. If you get a package from outside the US that is below the $800 threshold, is the package cleared right away and delivered without any fuss or are there any hoops to jump through?

On 7/19/2017 at 8:24 PM, heavydoom said:

is there a national world wide canadian tuxedo day?   us denim heads should make one.  i have been wearing the tux for pretty much the most weekends this year.  yeah, only the weekends.  i wear an uniform on the week days.

Apparently it's March 30, no joke.

Next year we need to all wear and post photos of ourselves in our denim tuxes on that day! :D

On 7/19/2017 at 8:24 PM, heavydoom said:

Apparently it's March 30, no joke.

Next year we need to all wear and post photos of ourselves in our denim tuxes on that day! :D

On 2017-07-22 at 5:32 PM, Cucoo said:

Quick question to any US citizens around here. If you get a package from outside the US that is below the $800 threshold, is the package cleared right away and delivered without any fuss or are there any hoops to jump through?

before i order anything online concerning big ticket items, i always ask the shipper if they can send the parcel with the country's postal system like canada post, aussie post or u.s.p.s..  then you ask the sender if they can declare a lower value of the item of declare the items as an used item or vintage item worn clothing etc......this works for me here in canada.  and why the postal system?  at least when you have to pay anything, it's the custom fees and some taxes.  with puro, ups, dhl etc...you get nailed with brokerage fees, border fees, this fee and that fee and then to top it all off when you are not home and they leave you this note saying that you have to pick up your parcel far far away from your house....well this takes the cake!!!  fuck that. 

for me the deal breaker is when the shipper has to use DHL, UPS, PUROLATOR etc.....then i am not getting the item.  end of story. 

EMS is also very very preferable for me.  ask for EMS service.  they always use the country's postal system. 

8 hours ago, heavydoom said:

before i order anything online concerning big ticket items, i always ask the shipper if they can send the parcel with the country's postal system like canada post, aussie post or u.s.p.s..  then you ask the sender if they can declare a lower value of the item of declare the items as an used item or vintage item worn clothing etc......this works for me here in canada.  and why the postal system?  at least when you have to pay anything, it's the custom fees and some taxes.  with puro, ups, dhl etc...you get nailed with brokerage fees, border fees, this fee and that fee and then to top it all off when you are not home and they leave you this note saying that you have to pick up your parcel far far away from your house....well this takes the cake!!!  fuck that. 

for me the deal breaker is when the shipper has to use DHL, UPS, PUROLATOR etc.....then i am not getting the item.  end of story. 

EMS is also very very preferable for me.  ask for EMS service.  they always use the country's postal system. 

The reason I ask is that I've grown really fond of using Borderlinx to get my packages delivered with all duties paid, which means it'll be actually delivered to my home without me having to run to the customs office. Through Borderlinx I have an address in the US. I was thinking of using that US address not only for things I buy in the US, but also from Japan, but this would only work if packages from outside the US get delivered without the receiver having to do anything, since Borderlinx will only take delivery and not do anything special that might be required.

DHL actually works great for Germany since they work closely with German Post (DHL Express is another matter though). Though I actually prefer the courier taking care of the customs process to be honest as long as the fees are reasonable, since I resent having to waste time at the customs office myself. I'll gladly pay 10-20€ on top of actual VAT for that.

On 7/22/2017 at 5:32 PM, Cucoo said:

I've had eBay purchases from Europe and also orders from Japanese arrive at my apartment. I had to pick up at the post office once because of signature required otherwise I've never had any problems for packages outside the US. 

3 hours ago, not too tight said:

I've had eBay purchases from Europe and also orders from Japanese arrive at my apartment. I had to pick up at the post office once because of signature required otherwise I've never had any problems for packages outside the US. 

Thanks! 

On 7/22/2017 at 2:32 PM, Cucoo said:

I have never had to do anything with customs for any package coming from abroad, including for items with a value > $800. It's always delivered to my door, or I get a notification for pick up if a signature was required.

3 hours ago, JDelage said:

I have never had to do anything with customs for any package coming from abroad, including for items with a value > $800. It's always delivered to my door, or I get a notification for pick up if a signature was required.

Thanks! Depending on how much a shop charges for shipping to the US this might turn out to actually be the best option to avoid having to deal with German customs - and the best thing about Borderlinx is, if there is no invoice they estimate the value, and they are pretty... "conservative"  in their estimates :)

On 09/07/2017 at 3:34 AM, kbuzz said:

Anyone have any suggestions for higher rise selvedge chinos- preferably slimmer cut.  The 3sixteen and Railcar fight trousers look great but the rear rise on either is pretty low at 36...thanks

Hi bud

I just ordered some The Armoury Army Chinos (army green selvedge) in Size 32. I emailed The Armoury Hong Kong for sizing and they emailed me the measurements of the 

W: 32"
FR: 12"
BR: 15"
Thigh Opening: between 12 and 13" (guy wasn't more specific)
Knee: 9.5"
Hem: 8.25"
Inseam: 32"
Outseam: 43"

I am not sure on the grading, but for a 36" you could expect a back rise of at least 15.5" but probably more

Question to Chinese speakers: I've ordered a few things on Taobao and had them shipped to a Hong Kong address. I've already paid for all shipping, the package has left China proper and cleared HK customs. I don't think that I missed anything in the tracking info, my question is about the last line that says "waiting to arrange delivery", is this translation correct? I can't find any buttons or links to "arrange" anything myself...

• 2017-Jul-31Mon.12:27:59【中国】包裹正在等待揽收
  • 21:12:33【中国】[广州市]韵达快递 广东广州白云区瑶台公司收件员 已揽件
  • 21:25:59【中国】[广州市]广东广州白云区瑶台公司 已发出
  • 2017-Aug-01Tues.00:11:25【中国】[广州市]快件已到达 广东广州转运中心
  • 00:13:04【中国】[广州市]广东广州转运中心 已发出
  • 02:42:17【中国】[东莞市]快件已到达 广东东莞转运中心
  • 02:56:38【中国】[东莞市]广东东莞转运中心 已发出
  • 08:20:03【中国】[东莞市]广东东莞沙田公司派件员:新四方仓 15992908581正在为您派件
  • 08:19:56【集运】您的包裹已被递四方集运仓签收
  • 09:25:53【集运】淘宝订单号41071951362182071已入库,请及时登录淘宝账户支付国际转运费
  • 16:44:38【海外】包裹已出库,发往起运国海关清关,最新轨迹查询:http://www.transrush.com
  • 2017-Aug-02Wed.11:54:28【海外】干线交接成功
  • 14:06:23【海外】包裹已在香港清关完成,等待安排派送

And here's what Google makes of it:

2017-Jul-31Mon.12: 27: 59 [China] package is waiting for Lan received
21:12:33 [China] [Guangzhou City] Yun Da Express Guangdong Baiyun District, Guangdong Yao Tai company recipient has embraced
21:25:59 [China] [Guangzhou] Guangdong Baiyun District, Guangdong Yao Tai company has been issued
2017-Aug-01Tues.00: 11: 25 【China】 [Guangzhou] Express has arrived in Guangzhou, Guangdong transit center
00:13:04 【China】 [Guangzhou City] Guangdong Guangzhou transit center has been issued
02:42:17 [China] [Dongguan City] Express has arrived in Dongguan, Guangdong transit center
02:56:38 [China] [Dongguan City] Dongguan, Guangdong transit center has been issued
08:20:03 [China] [Dongguan City] Dongguan, Guangdong Shatin Company sent members: New Quartet warehouse 15992908581 is for you to send
08:19:56 【Cargo】 Your package has been handed to the Quartet set warehouse receipt
09:25:53 【Cargo】 Taobao order number 41071951362182071 has been warehousing, please log in Taobao account to pay international transit fee
16:44:38 [Overseas] package has been out of the library, sent to the country of customs clearance, the latest track query: http: //www.transrush.com
2017-Aug-02Wed.11: 54: 28 [Overseas] trunk transfer success
14:06:23 【Overseas】 package has been completed in Hong Kong clearance, waiting to arrange delivery

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic