SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

what is the point of these specialized denim washes?  I clearly missed the boat on this subject because I view this as a colossal waste of money and utterly ridiculous.  Relic of the early days??

https://blueingreensoho.com/collections/warehouse/products/nano-colloid-premium-denim-wash-500ml

I thought the idea was for them to be like Woolite for denimheads with special indigo-locking properties for teh super sick fadez.

I'm guilty of having bought the Samurai soap a few years ago though. I like how it smells. 

Edited by Iron Horse

Anyone have a go-to method for stretching out the top block? My studio dartisan 103 have gotten pretty tight over the last two washes. I don't think the denim has very much give, though I haven't tried when wet.

Try the TCB 50s, mine almost reach my belly button with an 11.5 front rise and 15.5 back rise on a size 28. If you're interested in repos you'll generally find high rises across brands so long as you're looking at regular straight fits. 

Anyways, where do you all get your basic tees? I'm looking for some midweight black/gray ones around $30. Filson makes one for $38 but I'm not sure of the quality. https://www.filson.com/men/shirts/t-shirts/short-sleeve-outfitter-solid-one-pocket-t-shirt-10859.html#700

I know Naked & Famous makes circular knit tees for $38 as well but I'm afraid they'll end up too tight and too long. 
https://www.blueowl.us/collections/all-products/products/naked-and-famous-10oz-circular-knit-t-shirt-in-black?variant=1117134673

They don't have to be fancy; I'm only concerned that they aren't stretchy and they will last.  

Question regarding ordering from Denimio: am I doing something bad/unscrupulous/unethical or otherwise stupid or inefficient by ordering the same item in a couple different sizes, then returning one?

I chatted with the (very persistent!) person who monitors the chat feature and got some prices on the return freight, which seems reasonable, but it has been a long time since I ordered anything from outside the US, and am curious if I'm going to incur any fees/penalties/taxes I'm possibly overlooking. 

Thanks, gents-

Denimio used to have a guarantee that if they advised you on the size you need and it was wrong the return was free?

If you're posting back to them you won't get any taxes etc, just the shipping cost. Nothing wrong with ordering two pairs for sizing

Also you will not pay any import taxes if the combined jeans are under $800 (i am assuming you live in the USA).

And yea if you are happy with paying return shipping, then I also see no problem with buying two pairs and returning one. It's practically the same as going into a store and trying on different sizes. If you can't get to a store that stocks what you want, then this is the next best thing

Flights booked for HK in October, any suggestions shopping and otherwise?
Travelling with my partner and daughter who are shopping mad also but need some suggestions to keep us entertained.

Where to get brown jeans? Already have Kapital's century denim but looking something for more ordinary. Companion denim doesn't look too bad but would like to see more options.

@Geeman probably Take5 and Benny's Store. The Armoury is another if you're into the more formal/biz casual look and all that.

Edited by ALB

2 hours ago, alvin_cheong said:

@Geeman interested in Resolute Jeans, TCB Jeans? Real Mccoy stuffs? HK have many of these shops carrying different brands.Like what ALB said, Take 5 is one of the options you could visit.

Store names?

Incredible shop in Wan Chai (Star Street area, near the Monocle shop) sells Resolute and Barns tees. Their branch in Jordan, just up from Kowloon Park, has a RMC shop within a shop though the range is limited.

Goldyard in Central, just off Hollywood Road, sells Full Count and TCB along with other nice JP ''dry goods''. The surrounding area is really nice.

Then in Tsim Sha Tsui you've got Take 5 and the sister shop Benny's Store, which sells Orgueil, Trophy, Viberg, among others.

Happy to supply other recommendations for food and drink, sightseeing, hiking, beaches, etc. You don't want to come all this way only to shop.

6 hours ago, Sugar Mountain said:

Incredible shop in Wan Chai (Star Street area, near the Monocle shop) sells Resolute and Barns tees. Their branch in Jordan, just up from Kowloon Park, has a RMC shop within a shop though the range is limited.

Goldyard in Central, just off Hollywood Road, sells Full Count and TCB along with other nice JP ''dry goods''. The surrounding area is really nice.

Then in Tsim Sha Tsui you've got Take 5 and the sister shop Benny's Store, which sells Orgueil, Trophy, Viberg, among others.

Happy to supply other recommendations for food and drink, sightseeing, hiking, beaches, etc. You don't want to come all this way only to shop.

Yes please mate. DM me any suggestions.  Greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, BrownMetallic said:

Where to kop kilties for lace-to-toe?!

White's and Wesco both have a selection of various sizes/leathers/shapes of false tongues, with whites having more options than wesco. 

https://www.wescoboots.com/builder/Accessory.aspx?id=False_Tongues_and_Inserts

http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=581

I have a pair of unsanforized SDA's that fit damn near perfect.  I have not soaked them and considering just wearing them.  What should I expect if I don't soak them?  I know they'll shrink when (or if) washed and the fades may not line up.  Is there anything else to know?

Because of stiffness of the fabric (from starch) you might see sharper creases with higher contrast fading. But also the durability may suffer from the crispness of the fabric. Also the dirt that builds up in the fabric and threads from never washing can have a negative impact on the integrity of the jeans. That said, Swissjeansfreak never washes his jeans so it is doable.

You guys ever have a pair that you washed weekly to every two weeks? Working outside in the heat gets my pair of Warehouse sweaty in the top block. I hang them on a chair outside on the deck when I get home from work to air out but I think these are going to get frequent washings to keep them from stinking and to keep the cotton threads in tact for as long as possible. Just curious to hear your tales of very frequent washings and how the pair eventually turned out...

go for it! esp if you're working, getting them dirty, etc, your jeans will wear in really nicely if you wash them regularly. when i was working in the amazon i washed my sugar canes weekly, pretty much out of necessity. in terms of color loss, i reckon they got about 6 months' worth of wear over that 2 month period, faded to a really nice blue. only thing is, you'll lose the starch from your jeans really quickly, but if it's hot out you probably want your jeans to breathe anyway. good luck!

I use to wear my SDA 103s in the kitchen and wash them regularly.

It wasn't my brightest idea wearing $200+ denim in that kind of working environment. 

IMO everything just fades evenly and you don't get nice contrast fades from whiskers, stacks etc. 

3 hours ago, chicote said:

go for it! esp if you're working, getting them dirty, etc, your jeans will wear in really nicely if you wash them regularly. when i was working in the amazon i washed my sugar canes weekly, pretty much out of necessity. in terms of color loss, i reckon they got about 6 months' worth of wear over that 2 month period, faded to a really nice blue. only thing is, you'll lose the starch from your jeans really quickly, but if it's hot out you probably want your jeans to breathe anyway. good luck!

the thought of wearing jeans in the amazon makes me want to barf.  Getting off the plane in Puerto Maldonado in Peru was like walking into an inferno while wearing a heavy wet blanket

11 hours ago, chicote said:

Wow jeans in the amazon sounds brutal. The good thing is that they stay mostly "clean" since I have to wear coveralls over them but it's really the sweat breaking down the threads and denim in the crotch area that I'm worried about. I'm just going to wash them when they stink. If that's after every work week then so be it. Thanks for the response @chicote

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic