SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Natural lighting (although not directly in the sunlight, this is usually too bright IMO) is probably the most important. Make sure to experiment with different backgrounds and set-ups - depending on where I take my pictures the denim looks extremely different. Other factors influence the look as well - close-ups usually bring out other colors than shots that are further away. Just experiment, have fun, and don't worry too much about it. Just like you perceive your denim differently in different situations, so will your camera.

E.G. When I take a picture of my Eternal Denim jacket when there is no natural light, it looks bland and just dark blue. Add a bit of sunshine and the hairiness of the denim comes through perfectly. When I then move on to close-ups it showcases the different hues of dark and light blue that have developed. And this is just with my phone. If you have access to a great camera your possibilites will be endless.

Edited by Frost

In need of some denim suggestions. I have the big thigh issue and for reference TFH 3012s have been perfect for me.

Basically I'm looking for something with room in the upper block. I'd like some taper but it's not that important since finding something for my thighs is a bitch. If it helps I wear a 32 in the 3012s.

I'm hoping the new Strike Gold's coming later in the winter fit the bill, but I need a new pair in the meantime.

Any models come to mind?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Articulate

I know your pain, Articulate. Flat Head 3012 seem to have the largest thigh and hips out of all the newer "straight tapered" or "lifter" fits, so you might find the other company's models to be a bit tight in those areas. But these models will all have more room up top than a slim jean (not as much as a straight cut), and a pretty strong taper below the knee:

Iron Heart 633s

Momotaro Natural Tapered

Oni 527 fit

Stevenson 714 Valencia

Some people also swear by Japan Blue and Left Field cuts in this category, but I haven't handled them in person.

If you're not all that worried about having a strong taper, you might have the best luck with 60s cuts. I find them super comfortable because of the room in the top block, while the slight taper seems to give them a cleaner look than straight cuts. There's an entire thread on 60s repros elsewhere, but a few more mainstream models that stick out:

Evisu #2000

Flat Head 3009

Full Count 1101

(and a plug for Ooe Yofukuten OA02 cut as well)

I know your pain, Articulate. Flat Head 3012 seem to have the largest thigh and hips out of all the newer "straight tapered" or "lifter" fits, so you might find the other company's models to be a bit tight in those areas. But these models will all have more room up top than a slim jean (not as much as a straight cut), and a pretty strong taper below the knee:

Iron Heart 633s

Momotaro Natural Tapered

Oni 527 fit

Stevenson 714 Valencia

Some people also swear by Japan Blue and Left Field cuts in this category, but I haven't handled them in person.

If you're not all that worried about having a strong taper, you might have the best luck with 60s cuts. I find them super comfortable because of the room in the top block, while the slight taper seems to give them a cleaner look than straight cuts. There's an entire thread on 60s repros elsewhere, but a few more mainstream models that stick out:

Evisu #2000

Flat Head 3009

Full Count 1101

(and a plug for Ooe Yofukuten OA02 cut as well)

Sweet yeah, taper's not too much of an issue (especially because it limits my options).

Also thanks @broark ... I'll be heading to SE to try a pair on this evening.

I found a super rare GWG denim jacket today in a thrift store and only paid 12.99 for it.  (The exact same thrift store I found the mint condtion Authentic 1950's Big E 501xx Levis for $17.99 about 6 months ago!)

This jacket is a beauty. It's in fantastic condition. It's either never been worn... Or worn very little. There's a few cosmetic flaws but I think it's from being stored for so long and maybe being moved around.

The construction, the patina, the heavy quality denim, the colour... Is just jaw dropping. It fits me like a glove but I'd never wear it, so just like the Big E Levis, I'm gonna sell it.

Here's a link to the imgur I just created with some pics of the jacket-
http://imgur.com/a/NJGKO

I've successfully dated it to the 1953 era using this website provided by the Royal Alberta Museum in Edmonton - (Great website BTW)
http://www.royalalbertamuseum.ca/exhibits/online/GWG/en/products/gwgidguide.html

Now I'm trying to determine value. I honestly have no clue. It could be $100....  It could be $400.... It could be over $1000.

I found a sold listing for a pair of jeans in the same time period here- These sold for over $1000CAD.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/VINTAGE-EXTREMELY-RARE-1940s-GWG-COWBOY-SELVAGE-CROTH-RIVET-DENIM-WORKWEAR-JEANS-/301691444092?hash=item463e361b7c

I'm attempting to contact the writers of the Royal Alber Museum article but figured I'd post in here to get some opinions as well.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

hey!

i am looking for a light 10-14 oz. selvedge overall/bib, anyone knows about a decent one?

i have seen the TCB version, and i don't like the denim, reminds me of Lee's jelted denim, or flat USN denim.

i know that Pike Brothers do a BIB, but I'd rather die than buy their stuff.

Iron Heart once did a 21 oz version, its gone, would be too heavy anyway.

thanks ahead!

To the both of you:

Pike Brothers look like the real deal. But they are cheap. Using the cheapest resources available and having no respect for craftspeople.

They pretend to be that kind of heritage brand that respect the ways of a bygone era but in fact they are outsourcing the shit out of the production to save money and increase profit, instead of paying the wages the craftspeople deserve.

It's for the look, and the style. But the product itself is inferior to any other repros I know, except the ultimate cheap knock offs from China.

The denim is ugly, the construction worse than any ww2 levis and all fabrics are starched to death to make them feel very heavy. I hate their grey / silver p44 which is the worst repro or inspired by a great USMC piece there is.

The customers of PB usually know shit about nothing, still following the credo of 'not washing your jeans' which PB openly propagates. Which makes sense, as their denim is flat and boring and cheap.

Yes, they are successful and I accept it. But it's a wannabe brand for wannabe people. No personal pun intended, just generally speaking.

I put a lot of bad voodoo into my explanation, but I stay with it.

I understand why people with limited money buy PB & with limited interest in the matter or denim or repros, and its okay, world is not perfect, we're all rags and not riches and nobody's perfect..... But still though, the brand sucks big time, don't like their lack of ethos.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic