SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

yeah ditto to what altoclefchris said. tighter fits like that will cause more strain on the denim which will lead to blowouts. it looks like you're wearing them pretty hard too so if thats the fit you like, then you can either have a tailor reinforce the crotch after a couple months of wear to prevent the blowout or just be ready to repair them often. 

Okay gents, this may sound utterly newb, I've read several things lately (from those with much more denim knowledge than myself), and I just would like to get a better feel for the subject. Does sanforization, singing, and calendaring cause weakening of the fabric? I've been under the impression for a while now that sanforized vs unsanforized should have no bearing on the end results such as fading, or the jean's ability to stand the test of time(construction wise). Any help would be great!

I don't think that sanforization etc. weakens the fabric.  That being said, I would disagree that both unsanforized and sanforized jeans will eventually come to the same results... in my opinion unsanforized denim has a lot more character will generally lead to higher contrast.  Obviously all denims are different and these aren't hard and fast rules, but its at least what I've noticed...  

Also, if you're looking for something to stand the test of time I would look into finding a jean that has polycotton stitching rather than 100% cotton.  100% may be more period accurate, but it seems to deteriorate noticeably quicker than polycotton would.  

They look so good! If i were you, id lose some weight just for the denim.

I meant to do this a long time ago with my nice camera, but here is a quick one of my fit for these guys. Would love all the advice I could get, I'm retiring this pair tonight cause the left thigh broke open again so they are done until I get them repaired again.

IMG_0632_zps6beef6b0.jpg

^thanks man. Correct me if im wrong but you're rocking some RJB's currently? Are they poly core stitched? I'm heavily considering a pair.

I actually got some Flat Head 3009's right now, which I think are stitched with cotton threads.  Funnily enough a little part of the arcs on the back pocket have been separated due to the sharpness of my phone and the pressure from sitting on it.  I don't mind it though...

I would definitely have some rjb's if I found a cut in them for me.  That denim is so amazing; I also wouldn't worry if it's cotton or polycotton, they're going to age great either way and it's not as though 100% cotton stitching will lead to an assless pair of jeans or anything.  

Edited by itsbenhere

Living in Montreal makes wearing raws a bitch because I'm conscious about trying not to dirty the backs with salt stains from all the slush/snow I have to walk around..

Today even when I think I played it safe and wouldn't have any stains, I get home and see about 20 spots on each back leg of my jeans. I don't want to leave these stains as they're pretty visible and don't look too good, but I also don't want to have to press each spot with a damp cloth every time I return from outside.

Should I just not wear them in the winter outside?

Samurai sizing question!

I'm looking at a pair of 710xx, but haven't dealt with Samurai's at all before.

My PBJ 24-007 measure about 37" at the waist, and 13" in the thigh. I'd like a similar top block fit in the 710's.

According to BiG charts, the 36's measure 37" waist and 13.5" thigh when raw. The 35's measure 36" waist and 13.25" thigh when raw.

How much shrinkage should I expect from normal warm/hot machine washing. Should I go with the 35 or 36?

Thanks!

Anyone have much experience ordering from Star-foot or Klax-on through rakuten? All my experience is with 2nd.  Do they offer free shipping? And when they ship are they willing to mark the package as a gift with a low value? And do any of them speak english, or am I still gonna have to resort to google translate?

Could you guys please point me to a trustworthy article: soaking denim while wearing it vs wear denim ~20 minutes after soaking vs just soak in a bathtub and hang dry? First option is quite interesting and 'hardcore' but I'm aware of getting denim too stretched in knees area.

Not sure if an article comparing them all exists but it's a topic that people have differences in opinion about. Some swear by sitting in the tub while it shrinks while others don't bc of the over stretching that can happen. If you're really worried they're going to shrink too small then you may want to put them on while they dry but just be aware that you may get more stretch in the areas of tension. If you're not worried about over shrinking then id just soak and hang dry.

^^ I think I may have said this before but there is a compromise/best of both worlds solution, which is to wear them in the washing machine (preferably on a hot wash). That way you get the maximum shrinkage in all the areas you want and a limited amount on the areas you don't.

Don't take my word for it, try it and see for yourself!

Could you guys please point me to a trustworthy article: soaking denim while wearing it vs wear denim ~20 minutes after soaking vs just soak in a bathtub and hang dry? First option is quite interesting and 'hardcore' but I'm aware of getting denim too stretched in knees area.

In my opinion you should just hot wash them to make sure all the shrink is out and then wear them, they'll be fine.  There's two things wrong if you only soak it and then wear it while it's wet.. Firstly, you probably didn't get all the shrink out.  Secondly, wearing denim while it's wet stretches it out way faster than if you just wore it normally, meaning that you might be fooling yourself into thinking that the cut of those particular jeans is going to work for you.  When you finally wash them they're going to shrink as much as they would have originally, at which point you'll have to decide if you want to look like a stuffed sausage or sell them for a major loss as they now have much more wear than they did when you first got them.  All my opinion but I'd like people to learn from my (expensive) experiences.

I also like to know that I've gotten all the shrink out as you don't want the fit to change too much after it's already started fading...so even if you do size right I think you should still just hot wash it, they're jeans and they can handle it!

Looking for a denim shirt, not picky about the weight really, but don't want a TFH or IH shirt. Been focusing on SDA 1553, but was wondering what else is out there. 

mister freedom has a denim shirt style available in different fabrics. i saw some pictures of some samurai denim shirts that blueingreen had that looked pretty interesting. 

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic