SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Is there any information on how to do a quick repair on the top/waist button loop of the jeans, as mine is starting to fray on a pair of Samurai's and I want to stop it without having to send it anywhere. Thanks.

This happened to me on an old pair of Denimes... my local seamstress was able to fix it in an afternoon for $10 + tip, although ymmv with that. 

I don't know about you guys but im not as young as i used to be and my washboard stomach muscles are not as toned as they once was... during one of my recent lurks around the underwear section of Marks and Spencer i noticed some "control top pantyhose" too embarrassed to purchase them i shoved them under my raincoat and ran out of the shop. I have been wearing them all week and find them extremely comfortable. I am now able to constrict myself  into denim that i have not been able to wear for years.

How many other people consider this kind of support wear an essential part of their daily wardrobe?

What should I have a friend bring me back from Japan? He's going to Tokyo for a week and is willing to bring me back some denim. Suggestions?

Maybe ask him to bring you back the ability to ask less vague questions???

Why yes, I am on a roll in this thread today, thanks for asking.

What should I have a friend bring me back from Japan? He's going to Tokyo for a week and is willing to bring me back some denim. Suggestions?

Try to sort out some pointers first of what you're looking for in your jeans. There's just way too much to choose from. 

• What fit do you want? Slim, tapered, straight, loose?
  • The weight of the denim. Light, medium or heavy
  • Pricerange
  • Do you want a smooth or more irregular denim? Slubs, vertical falling etc.
  • Do you care about left hand, right hand or broken twill?
  • The colour of the denim. "Just" the regular blue denim or maybe black, overdyed, a differenct cast, coloured weft etc.
  • Repro or a more modern cut?
  • What details are you looking for? Hidden rivets, cinchback, selvedge in the coinpocket etc.

These are just a few things I thought of from the top of my head. Anyway, just give us some hints of what you're after and I'm sure you'll get a couple of options that fit the bill.

Wondering if Baker has a visual guide for the Bounty Hunters. Need so see the stuff, instead of just reading it or googling every single piece. Plus how do they size, on the larger size?

Emailed Baker yesterday, but haven't gotten a response and quite impatient. 

Found the link at the top of the page for visual guide of choices, need to read a bit more.

Edited by bradl

Guys, please convince me NOT to purchase a pair of real japan blues. My flat head bsp's easily have a year of life left so there is no urgency. Plus, girls readily compliment on the amazing fit which is an added bonus?  :blush: The $400 (canadian) could be spent on better things at my current stage of life like concert tickets, a trip, or even a dozen dates. I know it's a million times wiser to invest the money, hell, even into a Vanguard 2055 retirement fund. I'm working as an RA in college so my rent and food is free if you are wondering. 

But the faded pairs in the RJB thread look so amazing and the self edge description screams "BUY ME". Ugh, I hate my impulsivity.  :wacko:

rejoice.pngnoah.pngbanderas.pnglawd.png

Front-Back-Fit-SExFHxRJB.png 

Edited by rosarkar

Guys, please convince me NOT to purchase a pair of real japan blues. My flat head bsp's easily have a year of life left so there is no urgency. Plus, girls readily compliment on the amazing fit which is an added bonus?  :blush: The $400 (canadian) could be spent on better things at my current stage of life like concert tickets, a trip, or even a dozen dates. I know it's a million times wiser to invest the money, hell, even into a Vanguard 2055 retirement fund. I'm working as an RA in college so my rent and food is free if you are wondering. 

But the faded pairs in the RJB thread look so amazing and the self edge description screams "BUY ME". Ugh, I hate my impulsivity.  :wacko:

rejoice.pngnoah.pngbanderas.pnglawd.png

Front-Back-Fit-SExFHxRJB.png 

Have a pair of the collab you just pictured and I love them (had them tapered cause I wasn't crazy on the straight leg), but based on the jeans in your sig I'm not sure RJB is really, for you, on comparable sizes the rise on the 103BSP (their slim tapered model) is more than an inch smaller presoak than the flat heads and probably the NFxONIs too and it'll shrink another half an inch with a soak. Might be an issue. Not to mention the denim on their standard line is slight different than the collab they did. Only 0.25oz lighter but it is a difference. Also the standard RJB denim all have zip flys instead of buttons. Thats more of a preferential note but you're looking for reasons to not buy so hey, theres another possible one.

Unless you are actually getting one of the few remaining smaller sizes of the collab, I don't really recommend it buying a pair, if you are it still might not be great cause the jeans are quite a bit looser from the knee down than your onis and flatheads are. 

Edited by B-Sandy

Samurai s710xx fully shrunk

You guys are the best to ask. I originally thought these would be too short but I'm starting to think otherwise. Due to poor measuring they're a 30" inseam when I'm normally used to 32" I mostly wear boots. Thoughts?

B4ogQnS.jpg

rL8aSCh.jpg

GLjm1aV.jpg

You guys are the best to ask. I originally thought these would be too short but I'm starting to think otherwise. Due to poor measuring they're a 30" inseam when I'm normally used to 32" I mostly wear boots. Thoughts?

That length looks fine to me.  

That length is only an issue if you're a die-hard fan of severe stacks.  Personally, I just like a few crease folds.

Thank you maynard.  I have actually noticed myself really liking a lot of sams, I'll have to look into them more.

rosarkar - you should chill dude.  I'm not sure what i've done to warrant the incessant negging from you or that inane reply, but I'm not really looking to get into e-fights with people.  I have to sell some denim that's too tight and want to pick up a straight cut next that I can finally thrash.  Simple as that

Try to sort out some pointers first of what you're looking for in your jeans. There's just way too much to choose from. 

• What fit do you want? Slim, tapered, straight, loose?
  • The weight of the denim. Light, medium or heavy
  • Pricerange
  • Do you want a smooth or more irregular denim? Slubs, vertical falling etc.
  • Do you care about left hand, right hand or broken twill?
  • The colour of the denim. "Just" the regular blue denim or maybe black, overdyed, a differenct cast, coloured weft etc.
  • Repro or a more modern cut?
  • What details are you looking for? Hidden rivets, cinchback, selvedge in the coinpocket etc.

These are just a few things I thought of from the top of my head. Anyway, just give us some hints of what you're after and I'm sure you'll get a couple of options that fit the bill.

Fit wise I like my nudie slim jims. Weight wise, I like how my nudie raw selvedge straigth sven's feel. I think those are 12oz. I don't mind a little heavier. Price, less than $350. Smooth denim. Maybe a mild slubby denim but nothing outrageous. Don't know enough about LH/RH or broken twill to know. Regular blue colour. Selvedge. No cinchback.

Basically I've put a lot of time into the nudie jeans I have and I think it's time I put some serious work into a really top quality pair of japanese made raw selvedge.

Fit wise I like my nudie slim jims. Weight wise, I like how my nudie raw selvedge straigth sven's feel. I think those are 12oz. I don't mind a little heavier. Price, less than $350. Smooth denim. Maybe a mild slubby denim but nothing outrageous. Don't know enough about LH/RH or broken twill to know. Regular blue colour. Selvedge. No cinchback.

Basically I've put a lot of time into the nudie jeans I have and I think it's time I put some serious work into a really top quality pair of japanese made raw selvedge.

Honestly I'd recommend the flathead 3009 or 3005. The 3005 is very similar to the slim him while the 3009 has a very slight taper to it but still more of a straight leg. The weight is about medium at roughly 15oz and the denim is fairly regular and dark. Soft and hairy to the touch. Purchasing from rakuten puts these at roughly $270 shipped to your door

Figure your sizing from American stores such as self edge. Expect 1.5" shrink in the waist 3" in the inseam and .5 in the entire leg

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/2nd/item/fh-3009/

Hope it helps

B4ogQnS.jpg

rL8aSCh.jpg

GLjm1aV.jpg

You have plenty of room to cuff.  If you're not cuffing those jeans are too long.

Honestly I'd recommend the flathead 3009 or 3005. The 3005 is very similar to the slim him while the 3009 has a very slight taper to it but still more of a straight leg. The weight is about medium at roughly 15oz and the denim is fairly regular and dark. Soft and hairy to the touch. Purchasing from rakuten puts these at roughly $270 shipped to your door

Figure your sizing from American stores such as self edge. Expect 1.5" shrink in the waist 3" in the inseam and .5 in the entire leg

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/2nd/item/fh-3009/

Hope it helps

I'd love to see someone order a 3005 from rakuten based on how similar it is to the slim jim.  The models are nothing alike...check your knowledge before you go making terrible recommendations.

I really love denim that fades to a greyish tone.  Do any of you guys know of brands that would fit the bill?

Strike Gold 3105 will only have more of a grey hue with wear.  I'm pretty stoked on the versatility of the xx05 cut, it's working really well for me.

The Flat Head F310 is a pretty killer step up from Slim Jims and maintains the same slim straight silhouette.  It's a fairly smooth denim, but is pretty hairy, and has tons of vertical character that only becomes more apparent as it fades.  

Strike Gold 3105 will only have more of a grey hue with wear.  I'm pretty stoked on the versatility of the xx05 cut, it's working really well for me.

Thanks tyler! the only thing really keeping me off the strike golds is that they're lht.  I honestly didn't really like how the ringrings faded and thats the only lht denim that I know of.  Do they all fade so blurry?  Also it seems like the thighs wouldn't really work. I would want something to stretch a little over 12" and have around a 32" waist but it seems like I couldn't really get the sizing right on those particular jeans... what do you think?

Edited by itsbenhere

Thanks tyler! the only thing really keeping me off the strike golds is that they're lht.  I honestly didn't really like how the ringrings faded and thats the only lht denim that I know of.  Do they all fade so blurry?  Also it seems like the thighs wouldn't really work. I would want something to stretch a little over 12" and have around a 32" waist but it seems like I couldn't really get the sizing right on those particular jeans... what do you think?

Hmm...I guess I kind of know what you mean when you say blurry about the ringrings but at least part of that is due to the massive vertical falling which I think is more to do with being a Flat Head denim than LHT.  By the same token, the ringrings are a jean I would think of if asked to list jeans that fade to a greyish hue...so maybe we are talking at cross purposes.  The 12bsp from 3sixteen+ definitely fades with higher resolution than the ringrings, and they are LHT...not sure if there are good pictures around, but I've seen some good pairs.  Okinawas are they other LHT I've got significant experience with, but they are a beast unto themselves...grey yes, blurry no (not the way I'd describe it at least).

The 3105's are a pretty good fit on most people that try it...I'd worry less about the measurements and just try on a pair of 2105 or 3105 next time you're over at SELA...they are unsanforized, but they don't shrink a ton in the waist...not even a full inch I don't think, and they stretch back fairly easy.  I went with a size that started out fairly tight on me, with two or three finger-widths of room pre-soak, and they are at least that size now after 2 soaks and 2 machine washes, so if you can fit a size with a tiny bit of room to spare, that's your size. I'm not 100% sure how these are going to fade, because I haven't seen any well worn pairs, but I can tell you that the denim has a lot of similar characteristics to my mud dyed weft 2105s (despite being LHT) which I'm really liking after a month or so and a couple washes...the denim has a very subtle but complex texture, and is actually ultra hairy, which is something that's not apparent at all when the jeans are raw.  A good pair for wearing hard and washing fairly frequently.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic