SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Hey,

I'm expecting my APC NS selvedge non wash indigo jeans anyday now. I'm wondering if you any of you guys can just tell me what to do when I first get them. I've heard of just soaking them and what not, and its difficult to search through these 19 pages of what to do. I don't think I'm going to wear these every single day but I just like the clean, raw, shiny finish of selvedge jeans.

My waist should correspond to the size and I'm getting the length tailored. Should I take into account anything before I get it tailored? Should I leave some length in since it's evnetually going to shrink in the wash? Or should I just get it tailored to my regular length I always get.

If they smell, should I continue to wash them or should I just get htem drycleaned or washt hem in cold water.

And my biggest question is how to avoid getting the nasty knee sags that some people are experiencing. I don't want to encounter the knee sags at all. I'm thinking this is more connected with the inseam thouhg of the jeans.

THANK YOU! I'm truthfully very sorry for all the noobie questions :)

Before you get it tailored soak it, maybe twice if you want. If you get it tailored before, the jeans are gonna shrink to an even smaller size after you wash. Go here for tips on everything else. http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=12729

Before you get it tailored soak it, maybe twice if you want. If you get it tailored before, the jeans are gonna shrink to an even smaller size after you wash. Go here for tips on everything else. http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=12729

Thanks a lot man. Appreciate it.

So is it just two soaks in cold water for how long? There's a lot of different ways to soak in the thread but it seems like a way to clean it.. not a way before wearing them.

Also, how about the knee sags?

thanks again

So is it just two soaks in cold water for how long? There's a lot of different ways to soak in the thread but it seems like a way to clean it.. not a way before wearing them.

thanks again

Knee sags are a result of stretching that is going to occur naturally, no matter what you do. You can wet the knees and hope that they shrink back to normal there. Itd be a temporary fix though.

thanks again

Maybe an hour? Im not too sure. For the first soak drop in a table spoon of salt to help get the starch out.

Is it advisable to have maximum shrinkage for a raw jeans in the 1st soak eg. in hot water.... since they will eventually shrink to that size with washes?

Yeah I want to know if youll get any extra shrinkage if you use hot water. The waist on my jeans might be a little too big. I know jeans will shrink a substantially amount if you use a drying machine.

^ i think it depends whether the jeans are sanforized or not. i know if you do soaks in jeans such as STF they shrink like crazy. so i guess it depends exactly what type of jeans you have

On APC jeans though, i was wondering whether I should do my first soak in hot the same as noddy's reason and also the right steps for a soak. thanks yall

^ i think it depends whether the jeans are sanforized or not. i know if you do soaks in jeans such as STF they shrink like crazy. so i guess it depends exactly what type of jeans you have

On APC jeans though, i was wondering whether I should do my first soak in hot the same as noddy's reason and also the right steps for a soak. thanks yall

Yeah they're raw, unwashed, but the waist might still be a little big if it only shrinks an inch.

Dumb questions: I've decided to get a pair of Bootcut olas and I need to order them online.

1: How much should I size down? I like a slim fit but not skin tight, and I know that dry denim stretches like crazy. My normal waist is between 30-31. I wear a 30 in Earnest Sewn Fultons, and a 30 in Acne Mic Garages if that helps

2: Where is the best place online to order them from? I can find 30x34 but they are all washed, can I call a boutique and have them ship them to me? If so which one?

3: If all fails and I have to get washed, does the waist still stretch much or can I go with my true waist size?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

i think ill take full advantage of this

Q) WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "BRUT" AND "NOSTALGY" DENIM IN DIOR JEANS?

Q) what does "W)..." stand for?

Q) why's thick, slubby japanese denim always look wrinkled in some way?

shit, i forgot the rest, oh well

nothin to do with denim, but somebody please help me..

im about to buy a pair of Jordan IV's...

but hows the sizing on those, big, average or small?

eventually compared to the Stan Smiffs or some Vans slip-ons.. sigh..

thx..

Guest Berget__
i think ill take full advantage of this

Q) what does "W)..." stand for?

Double. Milspex wrote somewhere that this is a military reference. Since special forces always "double-tap" to the head at bad guys. W)taps = double taps.

nothin to do with denim, but somebody please help me..

im about to buy a pair of Jordan IV's...

but hows the sizing on those, big, average or small?

eventually compared to the Stan Smiffs or some Vans slip-ons.. sigh..

thx..

Superstar,

Jordans are known to run big... buy a half size smaller usually... Watch out for fakes also. tons of fakes on ebay.

Anybody help me?? :)

i just got a pair of apcs, and the waist is fine. however the inseam is 4" too long... I'm thinking about hemming some of it off but first I need to do a soak to get rid of the shrinkage...

should i do a cold or warm soak? wouldn't a warm soak get all of the shrinkage out while a cold wouldnt? and woudl a lot of indigo leave after a warm soak opposed to a cold one?

It won't run you that much money since it's a very basic job for a tailor...

Wait, so APC jeans will not get all the shrinkage in the first wash? I heard since they're sanforized they won't shrink as much as other jeans like STFs.

And can somebody please give me specific instructions (eg turning it inside out? in a bathtub.. how to hang it? )

thanks. Appreciate it!

Superstar,

Jordans are known to run big... buy a half size smaller usually... Watch out for fakes also. tons of fakes on ebay.

is that half a US or european size ?

Yes, slimmer jeans will form creases more easily, and will form more thin, horizontal whiskers and combs than thicker jeans, to the point that Long Johns will form almost exclusively horizontal lines. Stretch denim seems to form somewhat more uniform horizontal lines, wheras 100% cotton seems to be more natural.

Also bear in mind the weight and rigidity of the denim. Thick rigid denim seems to crease more solidly than lightweight 12oz denim found on a pair of Diesels.

KRN.NYC

a good thing to do with them is to just wear them as if at all possible until you get a few washes in. I know it sounds irritating, but there are things you can do: you can just fold them under and use a couple small stitches to hold em up until you are ready to wash, then clip the stitches and let em loose, you can cuff them whiel you wear them, or you can just let them bunch.

AFter you get a couple washes in (I'd say about 3) then you can go take them to get hemmed, that will ensure that they stay that legnth instead of shrinking when you wash them.

thanks for the advice keri, but they're way too long right now...

eh, decided to go ahead with the wash. its in a bathtub, inside out, of hot water right now...

the water has a tinge of dark blue and i think the tubs gonna have a blue ring.. .

is this alright? thought not that much indigo was supposed to leave... i never wore these at all yet

Q) WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "BRUT" AND "NOSTALGY" DENIM IN DIOR JEANS?

Q) why's thick, slubby japanese denim always look wrinkled in some way?

Q) in regards to slubby, thick, japanese denim, why do people buy them big, then soak them once or multiple times to shrink them down? why not just size down like other tight weave jeans and stretch them out as you wear them (ie the reverse of what is widely practiced)?

Q) why does hot water cause denim to shrink more than cold? science shows that heat causes things to expand, and cold causes things to shrink, now i understand that it is cotton and no matter what temp the water is seeing as how its water and water is wet it will shrink the denim, but whys hot shrink more than cold?

*thanks berget for the answer to that

Since I didnt see this in the encyclopedia, and I cant go through 20 pages of small questions:

Today I was at Ikea and I had a tray of hot dogs with condiments and the box broke hhaha... so now I have ketchup ALL over the left leg of my Dry Bones. Anyways, I rubbed off the excess with a moist paper towel but there is alot of redness on it still. Ive had em for 2 months so I dont want to wash them yet. Is dry clean the best route? Will that get out the ketchup (and some blood I had previously)? Will they still have the shiny raw denim characteristic that is lost when you wash the jeans?

Also, what do I tell them so that they come out as the were before, only clean. No press, no pleat, anything specific?

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic