SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

I Hope this is the right thread, my apologies if it isn't.

This is a pair of raw jeans I bought back in 2004 by accident. I was 17 and knew nothing about raw denim.

I (well....my Mom) probably washed them too soon and far too often but none the less they have become my favourite pair.

Now I would like something simiar as the APCs I bought last year turned out disappointing; holes after 6 months.

What are your recomendations? So far I have the Momo X Japan Blue 0701 and the Sugarcane Slim star on my shortlist. Anything else I should consider?

6575232731_75cd43ae9f_z.jpg

6575237363_0813e453de_z.jpg

6575241535_c6d3ac43f4_z.jpg

6575282629_376c449ab3_z.jpg

6575296925_72b5f6cc75_z.jpg

wow, i hate to say it but these turned out pretty nice if you dont think about the lack of a chainstitch and it being helmut lang. good stuff.

what kind of leg opening is needed to get a "normal fit" on boots?

http://1.bp.blogspot...00/DSC_0079.JPG

those are the boots and fit I want.

Would a 7.5 work?

thanks

Depends on what size boots you wear... 7.5" hem is quite small unless you wear a small boot size, if hem is what you mean. If you wear an average boot size a 7.5' hem will sit shin high.

what are the differences in denim of the ST-120x (shadow selvedge denim), PBJ-007, momotaro grand indigo jeans, n&f slub/slub indigo jeans? to me they all seem similar in a sense

The difference between these and your standard jeans is that the weft fibers (inside of the jeans) are dyed indigo or black instead of the usual gray. This leads to the fades having more contrast (though in my experience they take a little longer to show up at first, probably because some of those jeans are overdyed too) and a cool electric blue type contrast to them that normal jeans don't have.

indigo warp + black weft

ST-120x

Momotaro Grand Indigo

indigo warp + indigo weft

PBJ-007

N&F Slub Indigo/Indigo

I have no idea what the difference between a black or indigo weft would have on the fades, they seem to produce about the same effect to me. Some of those models are newer, but you should be able to easily find evolution pictures of the PBJ-007's and Momotaro Grand Indigos if you want to see what I mean by crazy high contrast fades.

So I got my first pair of 'real' jeans yesterday; the unsanforized slim sugar canes.

I hot-soaked them for several hours but they still need hemming. Is it OK to hem now or will they still shrink a lot when I wash them properly in a year's time?

A soak won't get rid of all the shrinkage with Sugar Canes (at least in my experience with the 47s).

Well I'm looking to get a pair of Levis 1947' s now that they are on sale

The problem is that I really don't know what size to get I wear size 29 on apc new standards and 31 in momotaro

I looked for a 31 waist but there isn't one.

My question is should I go for a size 32 and hope for enough shrinkage or go for a size 30 and hope for some stretching??

Thanks

ok, I soaked the SDA d-1507 for an hour in cold water then hung them on the line. The amount of starch in the denim is incredible. Do I just keep soaking until the starch disolves, agitate while soaking or toss in the washer??

Edited by lance

normally I would say it's up to you.

the main goal in soaking for me is just to get rid off the major shrinkage. if i like the fit after the first soak and I think most shrinkage is done i just wear them. never wrong to have a bit of starch in the denim to help set the creases. but if you want softer denim, soak again and again

thanks again, b_f. They are Ai dyed to the core so I think setting the creases/looking for fades is a lost cause; I wash frequently anyway. I'll soak them again tomorrow cuase they are still stiff as a board. beautiful jeans, my respect for SDA grows with each new pair!

yeah right :D hank dyed ai denim and fades aren't the best partners. sorry i overlooked it. i remember my SDA D1388 were also full of starch. might be a SDA feature?

and SDA deserves the respect, that's for sure!

will keep a close look at the sda thread (finally an ai pair for you, right? :) )

Well I'm looking to get a pair of Levis 1947' s now that they are on sale

The problem is that I really don't know what size to get I wear size 29 on apc new standards and 31 in momotaro

I looked for a 31 waist but there isn't one.

My question is should I go for a size 32 and hope for enough shrinkage or go for a size 30 and hope for some stretching??

Thanks

i would say that they shrink more than they stretch. you'll be fine in the 32...

Looking at wings & horns 5 pocket black skinny jeans (http://www.ssense.co...nny_jeans/40637), should I size up? I wear 32 in gap denim-washed slim fit chino (I don't have any well fitting denim atm).

I'm looking to order them online and they are on sale so I won't be able to return them if they don't fit =/

In your case, I would not purchase them. If you live near self-edge/blueingreen try on a bunch of slim-fitting pairs. If not, your best bet is trying on slim-fitting denim from other places, seeing what's comfortable to you. Then, measure the jeans blueingreen style and compare the measurements to denim you're interested in. Seeing as how you're very inexperienced in sizing, I would not purchase them.

I have a new pair of levis Vintage 501xx 1947 STF 33/32. Actual measurements are 16.25" across waist band and 32.5" inseam. Ideally after a soak I would like 15.25" across waist band and a 30.5" inseam but definitely no shorter than 30". Does anyone know how to achieve maximum shrinkage in the waist but also the minimum shrinkage in length?

Recently hemmed my Roys, do you guys think that they are too short for a small cuff at the moment? They are just perhaps 0.75 inches below the tops of my Jack Purcells, with a teeny bit of stacking.

a3287103.jpg

ff4c8d43.jpg

Edit: forgive the big butt! :wacko:

Edited by tsunamiboy85

Im looking to upgrade my denim wardrobe, currently only really own nudie grim trims in a 34X32 but looking for 1-2 more pairs of decent denim, like the look of APC NS but not sure about sizing, raw selvedge would be a plus too, anyone got any advice?

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic