SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

What causes these?

I just got a pair of raw, they are developing honeycombs after 4 days of constant wear. I bought my first pair of one wash denim a few weeks ago, they seem to not be doing this and it pisses me off. I have lightly starched the back of the legs to try to encourage the elusive honeycomb, and it seems to be doing very little. Is it a matter of time? Will denim that is not stiff not develop the lovely combs?

I want some fucking combs on these, they are bad ass jeans (and were super cheap), very slim, and breaking them in to fit was an un pleasant process (for both mind and body).

So, any advice on the honeycomb action is appreciated.

Honeycombs come from as you probably know bendin' your legs. the stiffness in the raw denim (caused by the starch from the manufacteurer) is a factor in developing nice combs. when they are one wash a lot of the starch has gone away and that means that they arent as stiff anymore and the creases cant settle.

personally im against starch, but i guess if you starch em often enough you could prolly get some nice combs anyhow..

question: pretty new to jeans and im looking to get some raw denim. nudies SJDS looked good, but it seems like you guys here think theyre overpriced. right now all i have is the 7forallmankind slimmy in montana, which is a 15" leg opening. i dont think i can go much tighter, especially in the thighs, as i race road bikes semi-pro.

5'11"

143lbs

my real waist is 32" and my inseam 35".

what jeans should i look at?

Nudie is without a doubt a very nice raw denim manufacteurer, imo the nudie shots on here are developing the nicest fades and some rad honeycombs.. but as you say they are a bit overpriced in my eyes.

im new to all this denim myself, and i just bought my first pair of raw denim from one of the other users on SuFu, Ande Whall. He makes top quality raw denim at killer low prices... So you should go and check out his thread on here, support the local ones ;)

Ande Whall denim thread:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=17026

Ande Whall supermarket thread:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=17023

I just bought a pair of 32x32 Levi's Warhol Factory X jeans which seem more like a 30x31. They are a bit tight on me, is there a difference in how jeans are measured in different countries. If so does any one have a list so I don't make the same mistake again.

And inch is an inch is an inch, whatever the country. But a single measurement isn't going to accurately describe how a jean fits, which is why you should track down full size charts before you go buying clothes online.

What causes these?

I just got a pair of raw, they are developing honeycombs after 4 days of constant wear. I bought my first pair of one wash denim a few weeks ago, they seem to not be doing this and it pisses me off. I have lightly starched the back of the legs to try to encourage the elusive honeycomb, and it seems to be doing very little. Is it a matter of time? Will denim that is not stiff not develop the lovely combs?

I want some fucking combs on these, they are bad ass jeans (and were super cheap), very slim, and breaking them in to fit was an un pleasant process (for both mind and body).

So, any advice on the honeycomb action is appreciated.

I think it normally takes longer to set creases into one wash denim than it does with raw. If you really want to get honeycombs, I'd suggest wetting the back of the knee with a good amount of water and then walking around (or sitting) in them for a while. Better than starch, IMO.

I have a stupid question! So I soaked a pair of LVCs in hot water to get the shrink out. The color turned a beautiful super dark indigo - really lovely. However, I've never seen jeans bleed like these. The leather tag and selvage are now blue. Anyone tried to wash indigo out of the selvage to regain the contrast? Did it work?

Nudie is without a doubt a very nice raw denim manufacteurer, imo the nudie shots on here are developing the nicest fades and some rad honeycombs.. but as you say they are a bit overpriced in my eyes.

im new to all this denim myself, and i just bought my first pair of raw denim from one of the other users on SuFu, Ande Whall. He makes top quality raw denim at killer low prices... So you should go and check out his thread on here, support the local ones ;)

Ande Whall denim thread:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=17026

Ande Whall supermarket thread:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=17023

those ande whalls look pretty good, and pretty cheap for the quality. any other recommendations? i might go into NYC so i can see some in person.

I know the slim jims come in dry(indigo), greycast, and japan. The japans look way too much like the greycasts for me, which i don't like. I want the indigos, but i hear the material is a lot worse than the japans. Anyone know how many ounces the indigo compared to the japan is? Also, are they even available in 31x34 or does that not exist? 31x32 and 32x34 are a little off fit wise for different reasons. I can't seem to find a store online that sells 31x34 in dry indigo and barneys in boston didn't have em' either.

those ande whalls look pretty good, and pretty cheap for the quality. any other recommendations? i might go into NYC so i can see some in person.

Mmh, eventhough the quality is shite, Cheap Monday manages to do some EXTREMELY cheap jeans. I am not avare of the quality vs. value, but maybe as a first time raw denim its worth a go.

Mmh, eventhough the quality is shite, Cheap Monday manages to do some EXTREMELY cheap jeans. I am not avare of the quality vs. value, but maybe as a first time raw denim its worth a go.

They've started stocking Cheap Monday in Cult, so I checked them out. Quality on the regular raw denim is awful, construction was dodgy and I don't like stretch denim anyhow because it sags off my skinny ass. Better off going with a pair of Levis STF if you ask me... and if you search around hard you can pick up some pretty damn cheap LVC.

They do do some Japanese raw which I haven't seen in the flesh... bit overly detaily and fussy on the ass though, with complex arctuate, cinchback AND exposed rivets. There's a topic floating around somewhere.

MOVED FROM SEPERATE THREAD

ok ive got a pair of lee 101z gold label. lovely jeans, love the cut of them an everything, fit nice APART from the fact that now the waist band has some serious stretch going on. has anyone tried just soaking the waist for like 10 min then hanging them upside down in the airing cupboard or somethin? i dont wana wash or soak cos i like 'em dark but i really want the waist to come in a bit.

penny for your thoughts?

ps am i right in thinking black jeans shouldnt leave anywhere near the amount of dye on things like shoe laces etc (if any at all)

Cheers

--- in response Whodinihimself posted

try hot soaking the waist area for 10 minutes and hot air blow-drying......they shouldnt lose any noticeable colour if there is no agitation...that might help

---

which is pretty much what im going to do. cheers

They do do some Japanese raw which I haven't seen in the flesh though... bit overly detaily and fussy on the ass though, with complex arctuate, cinchback AND exposed rivets.

That would be the Lajto Laban ones right ?

http://caliroots.com/system/search/product.asp?id=6309

okay, done a search but no joy.

how do i use the sugar cane detergent/indigo fixative sachets i bought from take 5?

gonna do a normal, machine wash pretty soon.

anyone had any good results with it? noticeable difference from bronners et al?

the detergent, use like detergent.

the treatment, soak for 20 minutes in the solution.

this has been covered before.

search sugar cane detergent and my userid.

I've had a little bleeding on my white shirts even if I dont tuck them in. should come off with a wash though. to prevent bleeding I usually soak the waistline a couple of times more and same with the leg opening to avoid bleeding on my shoes.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic