bikes

mikael

hello!

i just came home from tokyo and need to get me one of those small bicycles everyone were using, with a lot of gears and stuff. for springtime in stockholm. i didnt have time to check which bike i should get when i visited so i need to get some tips. anyone? thanks, /M

small bikes/minis/folders.. google these:

"peugeot pacific" - great urban assault vehicle, especially if you have to store the bike in your walkway after the battle. dripping with gears, levers, etc. various limited edition colors - there was a great cream/orange version, mmm, sharp. you will find that all links are in japanese, so the assumption is that it will be harder to find outside of japan. (costs about 100,000yen)

"jedi-r" - before/after googling, go to: http://www.akiworld.co.jp/lgs/ - great resource for louis garneau bikes. the jedi-r is the top folder, pricey compared to the pacific (140,000yen), but a better-made bike - and includes all the things that you want in an urban folder. also check out garneau's lgs series - save some money and get a better-performing machine - if you don't need it to fold, consider a lgs. as with the pacific, these may be hard to find outside of japan.

"bridgestone moulton" - most links returned are from english (england) sites. EXPENSIVE, not foldable like the pacific/jedi, not dripping with gears and gadgets, but very well-made. i test rode one (there are a few configurations) - alright i guess - but the price is unbelieveable at a million yen (yep - you can outfit a platoon in pacifics for the cost of one moulton).

good luck!

capsul

Edited by capsul on Mar 3, 2004 at 07:29 PM

I've ridden my birdy for three years now - bought it at the Shibuya Tokyu Hands in 2001 and brought it home to NYC with me when I came back - and I'm still delighted with it, though there are some pretty low-spec components on it.

I find it by far the most technically satisfying of the folders, as well as light, readily maneuverable and stylish. I'd recommend one to just about any urban bicyclist.

i have seen many pacific/birdy folders with leather saddles. beautiful match, especially with the chrome version.

a guy across the street parks his on the sidewalk, but the leather has taken it all in stride.

adam - have you ever seen another birdy in nyc?

capsul