Skincare recommendations

2000dB

i didn't really have bad skin as a teenager, but it started getting shitty when i was about 20. now at 23 my skin is still the bane of my existence. :(

also, i use that driclor shit in summer which has 20% aluminium because i have hyperhydrosis. i think a few other du's on here use it, too. works but itches like a total motherfucker.

/\ try Maxim: http://www.amazon.com/Maxim-Sensitive-Anti-Perspirant-Deodorant-Unscented/dp/B0014K4SQW/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1284836894&sr=8-2

I use their extra strength a/p and it works well. Gotta switch to the sensitive formula, didnt even know it existed

As for acne, i only have it on my forehead and its fucking annoying, I have it under control using rx-grade retin-a

take vitamin C and E regularly

wash with a gentle facial cleanser

benzac for the pimples.

my tip: use benzac overnight on your armpits to kill bacteria, don't forget to wear a white t-shirt to bed(since it's peroxide, duh), so even if you sweat you won't stink so terribly.

take vitamin C and E regularly

wash with a gentle facial cleanser

benzac for the pimples.

my tip: use benzac overnight on your armpits to kill bacteria, don't forget to wear a white t-shirt to bed(since it's peroxide, duh), so even if you sweat you won't stink so terribly.

18 years old here and for some reason it is hard for me to get a clean shave w/o shaving against the grain. There is usually still a shadow if i don't shave against the grain.The skin around my mouth usually gets dry. Are there any recommendations on a different way to shave?

I'm also starting to develop more acne/have more breakouts so I'm looking for some suggestions on what to do/what products to use (cleansers, face wash, etc) that I can buy in the store.

18 years old here and for some reason it is hard for me to get a clean shave w/o shaving against the grain. There is usually still a shadow if i don't shave against the grain.The skin around my mouth usually gets dry. Are there any recommendations on a different way to shave?

I'm also starting to develop more acne/have more breakouts so I'm looking for some suggestions on what to do/what products to use (cleansers, face wash, etc) that I can buy in the store.

from your description, sounds like you have sensitive skin, like me and dragging a blade along it is enevitably going to irritate it.

You could go with an electric shaver, but generally they don't give you a close shave like your wanting.

I suggest you get a few products,

pre-shave balm/cream- This softens up the skin/hairs so you dont have to apply as much pressure and you wont have to go over and over to get a closer shave.

sensitive-skin shaving cream

post-shave balm- soothes skin and avoids redness and dry skin

moisturiser- something without oil in it if youre getting acne

I personally use the Dermologica shaving products

Also, when shaving or even washing your face, theres no need to use boiling hot water, this irritates the skin and just makes the acne worse.

hope this helps

any recommendations for controlling oily skin 24/7?

i dont want to shine no mo

this might sound obvious. but go for products which contain no oil

most skin care brands have ranges for all skin types including oily. like i suggested to the other dude, you probably need a couple of products which will work better than any single product.

cleanser+toner definitely

hopefully thats some initial help. best bet is to read up on the products and buy a few in small sizes and find what best works for you. expensive is not always the best i think

this might sound obvious. but go for products which contain no oil

most skin care brands have ranges for all skin types including oily. like i suggested to the other dude, you probably need a couple of products which will work better than any single product.

cleanser+toner definitely

hopefully thats some initial help. best bet is to read up on the products and buy a few in small sizes and find what best works for you. expensive is not always the best i think

thanks for the suggestion. I have some sensitive skin, do you recommend me any brands for that kind of combo? I've used several but not the best in my opinion.

baxter? dermalogica?

I just carry around a pack of those Clean & Clear oil absorbing sheets and use them once every couple hours.

I don't want to keep buying those kind of sheets, was looking more for a type of "absorbing" lotion.

thanks for the suggestion. I have some sensitive skin, do you recommend me any brands for that kind of combo? I've used several but not the best in my opinion.

baxter? dermalogica?

I don't want to keep buying those kind of sheets, was looking more for a type of "absorbing" lotion.

Well I've found that the best thing for myself is cleanser and refining gel from ASAP which is an aussie company and my shaving and moisturiser is dermologica.

I think you should definitely look for a product which is formulated for oily skin and failing that just make sure the products are oil-free.

I need to say that im not the authority on skin care but these are some brands that work for me

don't know much about shaving at all, but try to shave after a warm shower, when your pores are more opened to get a closer shave.

regarding facewash, i always liked cetaphil when i was in aus, but since i moved to a tropical country my skin is 50x more oily so it doesn't work as well unless i cleanse twice. use a little of their lotion as well if your skin is dry

benzac 5% to kill the bacteria that causes acne

a moisturiser with at least SPF15 and UVA protection (this i can't give any rec's because it's pretty much trial and error)

For a batter shave use a better product. I got much better results with Proraso shaving cream or Sharps Kid Glove Shave Gel. Shaving after shower is a good call too.

You can use Cetaphil and it will do an ok job but if you switch to better brands like Menscience or even Baxter of California (great for the price) you will never go back to regular stuff.

The most important product in skincare is always the moisturizer. Get few samples and find something that works for you before you spend a lot on one.

I just carry around a pack of those Clean & Clear oil absorbing sheets and use them once every couple hours.

i just started doing this and it has done wonders

can anyone recommend good hair products that are non-comodegenic?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

so is this the essential hygiene thread?

any asian (cantonese) brothers can help me out with hair care?

my hair is dying and i would like shampoo + conditioner recommendations that is accessible via the internet or drugstore.

also old face regimen routine running low and kind of want to try something new.

just need a morning/night cleanser + something i can leave on over night. brands?

FWIW, all I use is this and this and it's been good to me, just think something different will be better?

shower and bed respectively:

neutrogena_daily+scrub.jpg

2010-09-L.jpg

and olay w/ some spf (15) during the daytime, but my skin becomes a bit oily after the day. not sure if this means i should change lotion

olay-complete-all-day-uv-moisturizer-en.jpg

Edited by gettoasty

you use this daily scrub every day? It will stimulate your skin in a bad way. Maybe this is why you can't shave twice a week. The more you use cleanser/srubs, the more you have to do for regeneration

You already checked the shaving thread?

Maybe you can try Dr. Hauschkas Facial Toner. Using this every day and I have no longer problems with frequent shaving.

Do a decent warm up, use a shaving brush with a shaving soap for dry or sensitive skin to get the skin better prepared, do an extensive cool down and put on a good aftershave.

Change your shampoo every time the bottle is empty. Your hair will acclimate to the ingredients and you won't benefit any longer from the promised effect. I can't complain about Bumble & Bumble, Glynt, KMC, and so on....

Skin is getting oily over the day because it produces sebum continuously. If you think it's very much, than go with an anti-shine moisturizer.

I don't like the Neutrogena daily scrub, because it's very aggressive. Go with something with some natural cosmetic, because those products are more gently. I have had good experience with Recipe for Men and Baxter of California, even if those are non-natural.

Edited by frankie_four

thanks

i do use the scrub daily, but i feel like it helps though i can understand the over stimulation aspect you point out.

i'm going to google those names you dropped and read up on some reviews.

didn't know there was a shaving thread either. fwiw, i use jack black supreme cream. the thickness, IMO, helps with the strokes when shaving.

6808738381e063cfc7aabfe57c248752.jpg

all these products will be out soon though for the most part so looking to "upgrade" the regimen.

and i don't have acne, just a few blemishes every now and then that i am looking to better care for.

543968.jpg

if you're on a soap-quest, been using dr.bronners for awhile, (shampoo, bodywash, facial wash, carpet cleaning, etc.)

I fucking love this stuff.

and for nightcream

374x263-Roc_night_cream.jpg

I know they sell these at cvs,walgreens etc. but It actually works, brightened my face up.

I came from shelling out $150 for a Creme De La Mer, which I was a bit skeptical, but RoC I know it works.

Edited by OTL

I use it nightly over entire face, avoid eye area btw, after a toner. and apply regular lotion over RoC.

btw 1st week you're face may tingle, it's due to your skin adjusting to retinol. after that it'll feel just fine.

edit. tube lasts me about a month or so

Edited by OTL

im sure i have said this before, but morning i use this,

http://www.kiehls.com/Blue-Herbal-Gel-Cleanser/544,default,pd.html?start=1&cgid=face-acne

day time i use this, http://www.kiehls.com/Rare-Earth-Pore-Minimizing-Lotion/791,default,pd.html?start=4&cgid=enlarged-pores

^good if you have oily skin

and night time i just use a regular face wash + lotion on my face.

http://www.kiehls.com/Gentle-Foaming-Facial-Cleanser/280,default,pd.html?start=7&cgid=face-cleansers-scrubs

daily scrubs every 3 days.

• 2 months later...