Skincare recommendations

2000dB

i wouldn't say good for long term.

I would concentrate on food, washing your face, proper moisture, spf and the right food mix.

you skin goes through a period of intense acne, but for the long term you should stabilize the inputs that affect your skin.

• 2 months later...
I used Tazorac a few years ago for some moderate acne I had, It was horrible. $40 to get my prescription for it filled, and it didn't work very well. I used the recommended amount for about 3 months with no change to my skin, then I read on the Acne.Org forums about overusing it, which turned out horribly, huge flakes of my skin would fall off or lie on my skin all day, and my skin was always very tight and dry. So I finally just switched to Benz. Peroxide (my Dermatologist never told me about it, I found it out through my own research) and it actually worked better than all the pills, creams, and shots that my doctor had been giving me.

I also gave most dairy products (I'm horrible with it though, so I just minimize my dairy intake) and ate healthier, which helped a lot. All I need now is a decent sleep schedule, which I don't see happening until I retire.

You mean dairy products also causes acne? How true is that? :confused: I have heard of people claiming that acne-prone people should abstain from taking caffeine, alcohol, carbonated drinks and dairy products. Hmm...

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone reccomend something for red marks after acne? :( Thanks.

mederma

great for any other scarring, too

i recommend shiseido's pureness line, especially for those with sensitive skin

there're acne spot control, anti-shine lotion, and other great lotions/moisturizers in this line that'll even out your skin and keep it looking great

this is something i was referred to by both girls and guys

rodan and fields has some great products...i used the acne regimen (the purple box) that came with a cleanser, toner, and moisturizer and they were amazing... it made my skin really nice..i highly recommend trying their products..

im using cetaphil right now as my face is very dry and i was wondering what moisturizer would work well??

Try pure Aloe vera gel and liquid vitamin e first. BE SPARING on vitamin E.

If not, try a commercial one reccomended. I can't really say. I do everything (almost) naturally.

edit: Also, I've noticed that if one night I sleep with aloe vera applied to my face, and the next day a thin layer of liquid vitamin E, and do that over a period of time, my redmarks get much less visible.

I've heard mederma is good for scars, but I've never used it.

Baxter of California is what I use now, and its great! The face wash is really gentle, and I use the face lotion every day too. I've only tried those two items and really like both, but plan on buying more soon.

Although I think drinking lots of water, daily multivitamins, and omega 3/6/9's are other key factors for healthy skin.

I'm sure there are people with more sensitive skin than me, but as far as facial moisturizers go, I can't use any of the traditional "safe" stuff - Clarins, Cetaphil, Decleor, etc... my face ends up getting red and irritated after 6-7 days of using "normal" stuff. What does work for me, and I can say is easily the best facial moisturizer I've ever used, is DDF's Ultra-Lite Oil-Free Moisturizing Dew -

http://www.ddfskincare.com/Pages/MainPage.aspx?Page=Product&ProductId=315

One application after a morning shower and I'm good for the entire day. Doesn't feel greasy or heavy at all. It is really worth checking out if you're on the fence with your current moisturizer.

LOVE this stuff. In fact, I love a lot of DDF stuff: sulfur oil-absorbing mask (this really "evens" my skin), face wash, glycolic body lotion.

• 5 months later...
any of the bearded guys have recommendations for ingrown hairs?

If you're having ingrown hairs you might want to change your shaving routine/technique.

It's best to shave after a shower to prep your facial hair for shaving. A good scrub/face wash will work also. Also use a good shaving gel and aftershave.

You might want to look into traditional wet shaving also with the whole DE safety razor, shaving brush, shaving cream, etc.

www.badgerandblade.com is a good place to start. Mantic has a bunch of shaving tutorials on youtube also.

any of the bearded guys have recommendations for ingrown hairs?

puck them out, start shaving with the grain don't go against it.

Right now I'm using

Menscience Daily Fash Wash

Anthony Logistics Alcohol-Free Toner

Cetaphil cream Moisturizer

Anyone recommend a good clay mask? I'm looking for one to use weekly to reduce acne blemishes. I'll look into mederma for my acne scars.

i think you need an exfoliant for that, clay gets rid of excess oil and dirt outta your pores. if you really oily try Lancome Pure Empreinte Masque. Works a little too well. You'll need a moisturizer afterwards.

For a good moisturizer, check out "La Mer". My girlfriend swears by it.

well the thing is I dont even shave at all. I have a heavy beard. my wife plucks them out for me cus they're usually pretty deep.

I've went to see a dermatologist and she prescribed me a gel but it doesnt really work, it just reduces the swelling only if I pluck them out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just buy that stuff that advertised everywhere for girls. It comes in a pink package with some kind of spoon to get the cream off. You don't have to shave with that stuff, just simply wash it away after 10 minutes. I'm not sure what it's called again, but the ad says something like "No need for another shave in 3 weeks. Totally painless."

its called nair i believe thats what you're talking about

but w/e you do, dont do it on your pubes.. its even wanred on the bottle.. i know a girl who did that and she had itchy/ rashy/ heaven knows what kinda pain down there for the next 3 weeks or so...

bless her soul.

or you can go to a cheap asian salon and get it doen there.. they usually do those kinda stuff.. its more norm to see guys getting threaded and waxe d and all that than it was say.. a few years bacK? derno

Hey guys, any help with my skin would be greatly appreciated! Specifying products would also help, so I will know exactly what to get.

Anyways, my skin isn't terrible, but like most people I do get breakouts and stuff every so often. I have had blackheads on my nose, and redness right below the nostril, for a few years now. I can't seem to get rid of them, and I've tried quite a few things (blackhead scrub, biore blackhead stripes etc). The pores on each side of my face (beside my nose, below my eyes) are visible, but only very close up.

I noticed most of my breakouts occur below my mouth in my chin area, my T-zone, and directly below my jaw line.

I currently use a foaming clean and clear cleanser, a sephora brand toner, and nivea moisterizer. After reading most of these posts, it appears those are all the wrong things :( Also, I'm interested in a working eye-cream that reduces dark circles, puffiness, and the general tired look.

If someone could reccommend a regiment for me, and list the specific products, I would really appreciate it. I'm especially concerned about the blackheads on my nose.

Thanks in advance!

Just buy that stuff that advertised everywhere for girls. It comes in a pink package with some kind of spoon to get the cream off. You don't have to shave with that stuff, just simply wash it away after 10 minutes. I'm not sure what it's called again, but the ad says something like "No need for another shave in 3 weeks. Totally painless."

its VEET... comes with a "bladeless razor" leave on 3 mins and scrape off the gel/lotion stuff. My girl uses it...

"DO NOT use on face or ears, on moles, breast nipples, perianal or genital areas." - Warning on box

Hey guys, any help with my skin would be greatly appreciated! Specifying products would also help, so I will know exactly what to get.

Anyways, my skin isn't terrible, but like most people I do get breakouts and stuff every so often. I have had blackheads on my nose, and redness right below the nostril, for a few years now. I can't seem to get rid of them, and I've tried quite a few things (blackhead scrub, biore blackhead stripes etc). The pores on each side of my face (beside my nose, below my eyes) are visible, but only very close up.

I noticed most of my breakouts occur below my mouth in my chin area, my T-zone, and directly below my jaw line.

I currently use a foaming clean and clear cleanser, a sephora brand toner, and nivea moisterizer. After reading most of these posts, it appears those are all the wrong things :( Also, I'm interested in a working eye-cream that reduces dark circles, puffiness, and the general tired look.

If someone could reccommend a regiment for me, and list the specific products, I would really appreciate it. I'm especially concerned about the blackheads on my nose.

Thanks in advance!

www.menessentials.com

They have a lot of guides, check out your skin type and find products that suit what you need. If you break out try using a cleaner that has AHA and BHAs in it to keep breakouts at bay like the menscience cleaner. I use it and it gets the job done while being very gentle. It's also good for blackheads. Use a mask to dry out/get rid of blackheads (CN makes a good one). Baxter's makes a good oil free moisturizer if you have oily skin but otherwise you're going to need a good moisturizer because these products dry you out. I've heard good stuff about using a drop of jojoba oil and/or rosehip seed oil in your moisturizer at night. It mimics human sebum so your skin doesn't overproduce oils/cause pimples. There are eye creams/gels to help your eyes but they're a little on the expensive side... Just get more rest and massage the areas around your eyes with moisturizer.

Follow a daily regimen and keep with it. I just started taking care of my facial skin for about a month now and my face is clearing up. Don't forget to drink lots of water, exercise, etc.

Thanks in advance!

I use this stuff from a company called bionova. It uses nano technology sciences which are already in your face. It works UNBELIEVABLY well!!!! They have one section that is very customized called N1-custom. I use this for my acne. They ask you many questions about your acne severness, climate, ect. They then custom formulate a product JUST for you. Its extremely expensive to do this, but if you have severe acne that just wont seem to go away i would recomend it. They also have a cheaper line called IMPACT that is customized by age category, therefore deciding the proportions of nano complexes and ingrediants to add. They also make a line of cleansers, bioactivors, and facial masks. Its great because they even make a cleanser for specifically acne skin, as well as one for dry and another for oily. I would STRONGLY recommend these products to you. All of the products can be purchased here, or on the barneys website. http://www.bionovalab.com/bionova/Customer/splashflash.jsp