Skincare recommendations

2000dB

i've used kiehls moisturizer but that's about it

malin+goetz sample from barneys felt way better

(the shit with grapefruit extract)

i used to have horrible, like uncontrolable, acne and nothing i tried worked. but now i use proactive and my skins damn clear 95% of the time

where's the sarcasm meter...?

I don't get all of the Zirh hate. The mild face wash, scrub, and eye creme work better for me than anything else I've tried (lots of l'Oreal, Biotherm, Vichy, Clarins, etc). I have no doubt that it's overpriced, but it works really well for my skin.

For skincare i use :

Face - Md Forte Facial Cleanser II

Body - Anthony Logistics Shower Gel

and for lotion I use Atoppalm MLE cream

ATOPALM is probably the greatest lotion/moisturizer i have ever used! it smells good and it makes your skin super soft!

Thought maybe I'd update you guys. It's day 15, my lips have dried up, so I need to constantly apply chapstick or Aquaphor. I have a bit of flaking by my lips, the kind I can just wash off easily and moisturize. My breakout seams to have stopped, and inflamation seams to be going down. As soon as the breakout clears, my skin will be looking nice. Can't wait. I can't even beleive I'm on day 15, it's gone by so fast.

Hang in there fg0d, some of my friends took the same meds as you and after the dryness and mild break outs, it is smooth sailin'.

Have any of you with acne issues (or not) ever heard of some medicated cream called "Tazorac?"

Here's a story for ya...some history first: I usually rock with this "Ling" drying lotion that I acquired after my first facial (pause, no homo, etc.)...this Chinese spot in...guess where...Chinatown. They gave me the bottle that they opened for my facial...and it worked very well (still does). Well, needless to say, a couple of years ago, I ran out and tried to go with Clean & Clear astringent (I know this sounds like skin death...but I have very oily skin so I guess it wasn't AS bad as it could have been). My skin is so oily, that I usually can go with a bit of mild facial cleanser in the shower (again, Clean & Clear...sensitive skin...the teal bottle), and then the Ling on "troublesome" areas to bed...and I'm good.

Okay...now to this Tazorac part of the story: I get occassional worse than usual breakouts every couple of years (who knows why...combo of stress, my oily skin, series of late nights, liquor, lack of moisturization/exfoliation, etc.)...and the time I tried to rock without the Ling product, after a few months, the breakout happened again. It became a pretty serious issue where I would wake up everyday with something new and red on my face (felt like a bad trip through puberty). So boom, I spoke to my primary care physician about it...he recommended that Tazorac stuff. Well, the shit is like most of these "prescription" acne meds, stating that it will cause reddening/break outs for the first couple of weeks, but then by the 8th week, your skin will be clear as day. I started to use it, very lightly...on the breakout spots...and boy oh boy...that shit burned...I literally felt a stinging, hot sensation...and of course, my skin stayed red...even upon waking up. After about a week or two of worsening skin condition...I couldn't deal.

I decided to do what I did in the past to cure the breakouts...go downtown and pamper myself with a facial (pause, again)...and re-up on the Ling drying lotion. Well...it worked pretty well (as usual) for the last couple of years.

Does anyone else have any experience or knowledge of this gottdamn Tazorac cream? I just can't fuck with something that'll mess my face up worse than it's ever been for more than a couple of days. I was lucky enough to have only those periodic breakouts and not a constant stream of acne...perhaps I need to jump on the exfoliation bandwagon...although I was using a Clean & Clear facial cleanser that had little bits in it "for exfoliation"...although I do not know how official that type of exfoliation is...after a while, especially once I started getting the breakouts...it just made my skin red and prone to more bullshit.

my skin has gotten 300x better when i gave up fried food

apparently im "allergic" to fried / greasy food

thanks to sufu

ive lost 39 lbs since june 2006

and my face is acne free

Another thing...does anyone have any other products to recommend for occassional acne (with oily skin)...whenever you get a breakout...what the hell do you use? As I said, the Ling drying lotion (which is based around salicylic acid) is pretty effective. I think I'ma start poppin' Vitamin E's...I drink alot of water daily (definitely 8 glasses, at least)...and cop me a showerhead filter. ANything to spot-destroy a pimple?

Obviously, I'm going to have to tame my oily skin too...so I'll be researching many of the aforementioned cleansers and moisturizers.

Have any of you with acne issues (or not) ever heard of some medicated cream called "Tazorac?"

Here's a story for ya...some history first: I usually rock with this "Ling" drying lotion that I acquired after my first facial (pause, no homo, etc.)...this Chinese spot in...guess where...Chinatown. They gave me the bottle that they opened for my facial...and it worked very well (still does). Well, needless to say, a couple of years ago, I ran out and tried to go with Clean & Clear astringent (I know this sounds like skin death...but I have very oily skin so I guess it wasn't AS bad as it could have been). My skin is so oily, that I usually can go with a bit of mild facial cleanser in the shower (again, Clean & Clear...sensitive skin...the teal bottle), and then the Ling on "troublesome" areas to bed...and I'm good.

Okay...now to this Tazorac part of the story: I get occassional worse than usual breakouts every couple of years (who knows why...combo of stress, my oily skin, series of late nights, liquor, lack of moisturization/exfoliation, etc.)...and the time I tried to rock without the Ling product, after a few months, the breakout happened again. It became a pretty serious issue where I would wake up everyday with something new and red on my face (felt like a bad trip through puberty). So boom, I spoke to my primary care physician about it...he recommended that Tazorac stuff. Well, the shit is like most of these "prescription" acne meds, stating that it will cause reddening/break outs for the first couple of weeks, but then by the 8th week, your skin will be clear as day. I started to use it, very lightly...on the breakout spots...and boy oh boy...that shit burned...I literally felt a stinging, hot sensation...and of course, my skin stayed red...even upon waking up. After about a week or two of worsening skin condition...I couldn't deal.

I decided to do what I did in the past to cure the breakouts...go downtown and pamper myself with a facial (pause, again)...and re-up on the Ling drying lotion. Well...it worked pretty well (as usual) for the last couple of years.

Does anyone else have any experience or knowledge of this gottdamn Tazorac cream? I just can't fuck with something that'll mess my face up worse than it's ever been for more than a couple of days. I was lucky enough to have only those periodic breakouts and not a constant stream of acne...perhaps I need to jump on the exfoliation bandwagon...although I was using a Clean & Clear facial cleanser that had little bits in it "for exfoliation"...although I do not know how official that type of exfoliation is...after a while, especially once I started getting the breakouts...it just made my skin red and prone to more bullshit.

I used Tazorac a few years ago for some moderate acne I had, It was horrible. $40 to get my prescription for it filled, and it didn't work very well. I used the recommended amount for about 3 months with no change to my skin, then I read on the Acne.Org forums about overusing it, which turned out horribly, huge flakes of my skin would fall off or lie on my skin all day, and my skin was always very tight and dry. So I finally just switched to Benz. Peroxide (my Dermatologist never told me about it, I found it out through my own research) and it actually worked better than all the pills, creams, and shots that my doctor had been giving me.

I also gave most dairy products (I'm horrible with it though, so I just minimize my dairy intake) and ate healthier, which helped a lot. All I need now is a decent sleep schedule, which I don't see happening until I retire.

Another thing...does anyone have any other products to recommend for occassional acne (with oily skin)...whenever you get a breakout...what the hell do you use? As I said, the Ling drying lotion (which is based around salicylic acid) is pretty effective. I think I'ma start poppin' Vitamin E's...I drink alot of water daily (definitely 8 glasses, at least)...and cop me a showerhead filter. ANything to spot-destroy a pimple?

Obviously, I'm going to have to tame my oily skin too...so I'll be researching many of the aforementioned cleansers and moisturizers.

Personally, I'd drop the Salicylic stuff and get a benzoyl peroxide cream and a decent moisturizer. The BP will dry your skin at first, but it'll eventually even out and go back to normal with minimum acne.

Tazorac gel is the strongest acne medication next to Retin-A, I beleive. I used it, and saw results with it, but after a while, it stopped and just made me breakout. The medication is unbeleivably strong, and it WILL dry out your face a lot. The first day I used it, my face was dry throughout the day, something new to me. And you probably will get burned, so keep your face out of the sun and moisturize very well with a sunscreen moistutizer. Personally, I regret ever trying any topicals, I think they just made my skin worse, but I really can't tell. Anyway, the medication is strong, and if you've got acne that is very persistant and want permanent remission, accutane is probably the one med, otherwise, tazorac is great for spot treating and I saw results for a while, but then it stopped working. Good luck.

edit: Accutane Update - Well, I woke up today to see my face is almost clear except the acne that initial breakout formed around my lower lip. I'm hoping I can get clear before spring break is over. I<3Accutane