Skincare recommendations

2000dB

• 3 weeks later...

stopped using any type of facial wash.

stopped using my olay facial lotion + spf15

only using Paula's BHA 2% both day and night [as my daily facial cream now] and you know what? no major breakouts .... wow

aside from a few ingrown hair, my skin has been pretty good. more so, the BHA 2% really repairs the skin quick if i have a blemish (2-3 days). Also clears up dark spots ^

Sort of surprised / anticipating when it goes horrible wrong.

fyi, i read because my skin gets a bit oily by end of the day, i should use some type of face cream with BHA hence my switch over.

not using any sunscreen is not a good idea though! you'll wrinkle much faster..

got me the BHA exfoliant liquid by Paula's choice hoping it would make my nose less oily but still get large amount of oil by the end of the day. I think the Earth Pore minimize lotion from Keihl's works better for me in terms of controlling oil, but I am going to try to combine it the two and see how that goes.

also it's probably because i haven't used it enough yet, but we'll see how it fairs in the coming months.

Edited by mr.invincible

good luck dude. through a normal day my skin is not as shiny w/ the BHA

but i noticed during a trip to LA for four days, even though my skin stayed pretty much clear with very minor blemish, skin was oily. of course it is hotter and more humid than it is here in nor cal, but yeah.

i think for the most part keeping my skin clear is what i am happy about. Now about the shine + sun screen, hmmmm..

• 2 weeks later...

i personally have skipped the sun screen even though there's huge amounts of benefits. I have used oil-free sun-screen lotion and it always feel like grease to me.

to control shine and have a semi-matte finish, I suggest the Kiehl's earth pore lotion. either that or you can go full out korean and use make-up.

http://www.usatoday....cess/57792806/1

Edited by mr.invincible

For a really good and long lasting matte finish I can recommend Dr. Hauschka's Melissa Day Cream

https://store.drhauschka.com/b2c/ecom/ecomEnduser/items/itemDetail.aspx?&page=&store=&itemNum=MLDC&siteId=1&bulkexists=0

It's also interesting for people with oily and acne-prone skin and also sensitive skin. I swapped from Recipe for Men to this stuff and it's working better.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got dry/oily skin. As in combination skin, I guess (oily underneath the dry surface).

I avoid those foam cleaners and found out dermatological gel cleanse (Eucerin) works best for me, and dermatological moisturing lotion also (Humektan). I wash twice daily, in the morning and in the evening. I am not sure if those are available in other countries than Finland, but probably every pharmaceutical company has their own products with same or about the same ingredients. Diet has still the most effect on skin. Avocados ++!

When I had bad acne, like a year ago, I used benzozyl peroxide gel to break out the break outs. It worked surprisingly well! Just takes some time, like 1-2 weeks for me...

Any recommendations for acne scars? Like, E-vitamin?

Edited by leatherscarf

I had pretty bad acne for awhile and the one thing that helped me get through it was the gym. I did a lot of running and lifting which helped me sweat but the real treatment that helped was the steam room. The place works WONDERS for active acne as well as exfoliating your skin for scars. All the other health benefits are also a huge bonus.

But I still have some deeper scars that need to be taken care of. I've been taking vitamin E and using a daily moisturizer/sunscreen, but yeah that stuff usually makes my face really oily so only when I know I'll be out in the sun for awhile. Acne scars and sun makes things a lot worse.

Can anyone else recommend ScarAway? I've heard decent things about it but I'm usually pretty hesitant about putting stuff on my face. All products in the past have only made things worse after awhile.

Still just keeping it basic, Paula's Choice BHA 2% day and night.

I use a badger brush and lavender shaving cream. No fancy shaver, just the generic Gillette stuff. I am much more gently and careful how I shave now as I noticed it is basically the only area I will get a bad breakout. Usually due to ingrown hair. Any place on my skin that is prone to ingrown I will just pay more attention to.

I also still stay away from too much soy as definitely milk/dairy, both for skincare and because I am lactose intolerant. And I push the dairy part a lot of anyone who asks because I use to eat a lot of junk food when I was younger with dairy and had a cup of milk to follow. Bad breakouts. Never had acne but I always thought it would have been better because at least it was more symmetrical

l o l

try silk almond milk instead of dairy milk, it has quite a bit of vitamin e, as well as considerable amounts of vitamin a and zinc (all good for your skin). try to go for the unsweetened version, the added sugar in the normal version makes it quite delicious, but there are great benefits to cutting back on sugar in general--you'll definitely notice your skin start to brighten up.

bath products containing green tea extract can be helpful if you have dry skin (most cleansers tend to dry your skin a bit, necessitating some form of moisturizer), but as that article points out, there's not enough EGCG in many of them. i find it's much easier to find products containing a beneficial amount of aloe vera (and cheaper too).

• 1 month later...

try silk almond milk instead of dairy milk, it has quite a bit of vitamin e, as well as considerable amounts of vitamin a and zinc (all good for your skin). try to go for the unsweetened version, the added sugar in the normal version makes it quite delicious, but there are great benefits to cutting back on sugar in general--you'll definitely notice your skin start to brighten up.

bath products containing green tea extract can be helpful if you have dry skin (most cleansers tend to dry your skin a bit, necessitating some form of moisturizer), but as that article points out, there's not enough EGCG in many of them. i find it's much easier to find products containing a beneficial amount of aloe vera (and cheaper too).

true, but for anyone looking for a substantial amount of EGCG is crazzzzy expensive. It's unfortunate that what we buy at target, walmart, and the likes are just water down products.

• 8 months later...

dQJxRbp.jpg9P120Tk.jpgAUJjfgv.jpg

some recent skincare purchases! really liking malin + goetz. anyone else use their products?

i have the m+g rum soap. it's great but not sure if it's all that necessary when i can go get an comparable "organic fair trade" soap like dr. bonners at half the price. no difference either in the way my skin feels after relative to the dr. bonners soap. not expressing disappointment but just saying it's $ that may not be all that well spent. i also have the m+g toothbrush which was really a joke buy more than anything; although i realize that it has been holding up surprisingly well even with my ferocious brushing.

I've been using Lush for years pretty much exclusively. How to the other big brands compare? (Malin+Goetz), Aesop, Evan Healy, etc?

I'm looking to freshen up my routine, and want to pick up some new stuff.

not sure if it's been mentioned before but shiseido men's moisturizer has been my go-to for the past five years now and it's fantastic. i don't think i'll change anytime soon. great for asian faces or those who have the odd combination of dry skin + oily t-zone. splash it up with basic kiehls toner after a shower (i also use kiehls daily face wash) and right before the shiseido cream then im feeling good all day. skin feels baby soft and i haven't had a zit for years, really.

i use an aesop "apres soleil" gel after a day of surfing and being out in the sun. cools the face down real well but a little greasy for my taste. the scent is addicting though.

Edited by deafmetal

no... i mean 600 mg of antibiotics a day for 4-5 months --. would you please stop trying to connect dots that aren't even there? no pun intended.

we don't use accutane in denmark; we're human beings.

edit: maybe you are right, even though, it was horrible.

Edited by wood 666

• 2 weeks later...

dr alkaitis is the best skincare range I have ever used. so good for your skin and it works. and if you are struggling with blemishes i would suggest to contact your dermatologist and get on epiduo gel, it clears you up and helps you stay clear without drying out your skin. 

Dr-alkaitis-raw-organic-skinfood.jpg