Skincare recommendations

2000dB

I used to go to Men Essentials religiously about 2 years ago, mostly just reading hermes' posts.

It's what lead me to try California North face wash, although I found that it didn't suit my skin as well as it had for most people. I'm going to give Baxters face wash very soon (as soon as my new Visa debit arives in the mail).

I should probably get a toner too, although I'm not too sure which one. Does James still sell those packs with small samples of everything?

I used to go to Men Essentials religiously about 2 years ago, mostly just reading hermes' posts.

It's what lead me to try California North face wash, although I found that it didn't suit my skin as well as it had for most people. I'm going to give Baxters face wash very soon (as soon as my new Visa debit arives in the mail).

I should probably get a toner too, although I'm not too sure which one. Does James still sell those packs with small samples of everything?

Cooome baaack..

Nah, he had to stop a year ago because they were costing way too much money

and people were kind of abusing it. You can still ask him for specific samples, though, and he'll throw them in with your order if he has them.

Sharps has some good, basic/natural products. Clinique for men has good cream... some stuff is a little too chemical esq for me.

Sharps puts out some good stuff (though they've had some internal problems lately; I don't know what's happening with that). The toner in particular is excellent.

Clinique, though.. Clinque just doesn't.

Clinique may not have the best men's stuff, but my mom's skin is insane excema and adult acne, and clinique's eyeshadow and mascara are the only eye products that dont give her a rash. so yeah, if your skin's touchy, and you wear eye makeup, clinique is great.

Plus their basic mascara is an excellent formula, tho I prefer MaxFactor just because of the fancy brush.

Clinique may not have the best men's stuff, but my mom's skin is insane excema and adult acne, and clinique's eyeshadow and mascara are the only eye products that dont give her a rash. so yeah, if your skin's touchy, and you wear eye makeup, clinique is great.

Plus their basic mascara is an excellent formula, tho I prefer MaxFactor just because of the fancy brush.

For obvious reasons, I don't know makeup and women's cosmetics terribly well, but I've heard fairly awful things about Clinique's women's line from a friend who's read a lot at makeupalley. For what it's worth, the few ingredients lists I've seen made Nivea look like Shiseido.

The key to getting rid of acne and having clear skin is to use exfoliators scrubs that get rid of dead skin and open your pores before they get blocked up with dirt and get red. You don't need expensive products for that. Then moisturize! I think guys generally think moisturizers are unmanly or something, but it helps keep your skin from getting dry, infected, and keeps it healthy. I just use Neutragena products.

some people need more exfoliation than others, and you may also be improperly exfoliating. you're scrubbing around dead skin and bacteria when you exfoliate, and clogs and bacteria are what cause acne. Use a light touch, dont scrub yourself, just lightly rub, like the dentist tells you - you aren't trying to clean your teeth, you're just trying to break up bacteria deposits; in this case, you aren't trying to scrub off a layer of skin or something, just break up the dead skin so it rinses off easier. After that, wash and rinse like normal to remove the dead skin and grime. If you have a good face cloth (hand knit cotton are the best, use the bumpy side, IMO), you shouldn't really need to go through extra trouble exfoliating, just the act of washing your face will do you good, unless you shed a lot or have a really dirty face.

Guest StuckOnStupid

When I get up I slip on a paisley ancient madder robe and walk to the bathroom. I urinate while trying to make out the puffiness of my reflection in the glass that encases a baseball poster hung above the toilet. After I change into Ralph Lauren monogrammed boxer shorts and a Fair Isle sweater and slide into silk polka-dot Enrico Hidolin slippers I tie a plastic ice pack around my face and commence with the morning's stretching exercises. Afterwards I stand in front of a chrome and acrylic Washmobile bathroom sink - with soap dish, cup holder, and railings that serve as towel bars, which I bought at Hastings Tile to use while the marble sinks I ordered from Finland are being sanded - and stare at my reflection with the ice pack still on. I pour some Plax antiplaque formula into a stainless-steel tumbler and swish it around my mouth for thirty seconds. Then I squeeze Rembrandt onto a faux-tortoiseshell toothbrush and start brushing my teeth (too hung over to floss properly - but maybe I flossed before bed last night?) and rinse with Listerine. Then I inspect my hands and use a nailbrush. I take the ice-pack mask off and use a deep-pore cleanser lotion, then an herb-mint facial masque which I leave on for ten minutes while I check my toenails. Then I use the Probright tooth polisher and next the Interplak tooth polisher (this in addition to the toothbrush) which has a speed of 4200 rpm and reverses direction forty-six times per second; the larger tufts clean between teeth and massage the gums while the short ones scrub the tooth surfaces. I rinse again, with Cepacol. I wash the facial massage off with a spearmint face scrub. The shower has a universal all-directional shower head that adjusts within a thirty-inch vertical range. It's made from Australian gold-black brass and covered with a white enamel finish. In the shower I use first a water-activated gel cleanser, then a honey-almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Vidal Sassoon shampoo is especially good at getting rid of the coating of dried perspiration, salts, oils, airborne pollutants and dirt that can weigh down hair and flatten it to the scalp which can make you look older. The conditioner is also good - silicone technology permits conditioning benefits without weighing down the hair which can also make you look older. On weekends or before a date I prefer to use the Greune Natural Revitalizing Shampoo, the conditioner and the Nutrient Complex. These are formulas that contain D-panthenol, a vitamin-B-complex factor; polysorbate 80, a cleansing agent for the scalp; and natural herbs. Over the weekend I plan to go to Bloomingdale's or Bergdorf's and on Evelyn's advice pick up a Foltene European Supplement and Shampoo for thinning hair which contains complex carbohydrates that penetrate the hair shafts for improved strength and shine. Also the Vivagen Hair Enrichment Treatment, a new Redken product that prevents mineral deposits and prolongs the life cycle of hair. Luis Carruthers recommended the Aramis Nutriplexx system, a nutrient complex that helps increase circulation. Once out of the shower and toweled dry I put the Ralph Lauren boxers back on and before applying the Mousse A Raiser, a shaving cream by Pour Hommes, I press a hot towel against my face for two minutes to soften abrasive beard hair. Then I always slather on a moisturizer (to my taste, Clinique) and let it soak in for a minute. You can rinse it off or keep it on and apply a shaving cream over it - preferably with a brush, which softens the beard as it lifts the whiskers - which I've found makes removing the hair easier. It also helps prevent water from evaporating and reduces friction between your skin and the blade. Always wet the razor with warm water before shaving and shave in the direction the beard grows, pressing gently on the skin. Leave the sideburns and chin for last, since these whiskers are tougher and need more time to soften. Rinse the razor and shake off any excess water before starting. Afterwards splash cool water on the face to remove any trace of lather. You should use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol. Never use cologne on your face, since the high alcohol content dries your face out and makes you look older. One should use an alcohol-free antibacterial toner with a water-moistened cotton ball to normalize the skin. Applying a moisturizer is the final step. Splash on water before applying an emollient lotion to soften the skin and seal in the moisture. Next apply Gel Appaisant, also made by Pour Hommes, which is an excellent, soothing skin lotion. If the face seems dry and flaky - which makes it look dull and older - use a clarifying lotion that removes flakes and uncovers fine skin (it can also make your tan look darker). Then apply an anti-aging eye balm (Baume Des Yeux) followed by a final moisturizing "protective" lotion. A scalp-programming lotion is used after I towel my hair dry. I also lightly blow-dry the hair to give it body and control (but without stickiness) and then add more of the lotion, shaping it with a Kent natural-bristle brush, and finally slick it back with a wide-tooth comb.

i woke up a couple days ago and ran out of my regular Clarins moisturizer and fatigue fighter so I bought Kiehl's Baobab cream and the moisturizer, and facial fuel. We'll have to see how they work out... they smell nice, at least...

hey guys, good topic. i have a number of skincare problems i would like some advice on..

1. oily skin on face (especially nose)

2. large blackheads on nose and around sides of nose (upper cheeks)

3. some acne, mild (have had acne for a few years, i'm 19 now)

4. uneven skin tone. my skin seems kind of spotty in color. only noticable under bright light.

5. acne on upper back

For my oily skin on my face I just got this:

Oil Controller Anti-Oiliness Moisturizer by L'Oreal for Men

http://www.ulta.com/control/product/~product_id=2115241

It seems to work well. I've used other moisturizors like Cetaphil in the past and it wouldn't rub into my skin and left my skin feeling really oily. This stuff rubs in and makes my skin feel soft and controls the oil pretty well. My skin will still get a little oily after say, 6 hours.

For the blackheads I don't know what to do to get rid of them. I've steamed my face before and then pushed up on my nostrils so my nose was scrunched up lol and then pushed some of the puss out but doesn't clear them and I'm left with the big pores.

In regards to the acne on my face, I used BP gel quite a lot in the past but I think it's damaged my skin more than it has helped. It does work well on getting rid of acne but I don't like it. I remember a few years ago when I had been using it and my face was super red and hurt. Doesn't seem right..

My skin being spotty somewhat (I think) is from having acne and might be red marks left over. I'm not sure.

The acne on my upper back is mostly red spots and small cysts/nodules, whatever those pimples are called where they are a little red and feel like a really small bump. It's not terrible but I'd like to clear it up.

Right now I wash my face with Zirh's cleanser and exfoliate twice a week or so with their exfoliator. I see that you all seem to be against Zirh though, and although I don't see anything wrong with it, it hasn't really helped my skin much so I guess that;s enough to justify that I should look into something else.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

When I get up I slip on a paisley ancient madder robe and walk to the bathroom. I urinate while trying to make out the puffiness of my reflection in the glass that encases a baseball poster hung above the toilet. After I change into Ralph Lauren monogrammed boxer shorts and a Fair Isle sweater and slide into silk polka-dot Enrico Hidolin slippers I tie a plastic ice pack around my face and commence with the morning's stretching exercises. Afterwards I stand in front of a chrome and acrylic Washmobile bathroom sink - with soap dish, cup holder, and railings that serve as towel bars, which I bought at Hastings Tile to use while the marble...

...american psycho anybody?

Arethusa, I know it's hard for you to recommend set brands as we're all different, but could you give a rundown on what you recommend in general, or what brands are worth their money and those to avoid, like clinique. Preferably for Asian skin ;)

+1

interested as well.

Haven't read all the replies but this is what I use for skincare.

My skin is also kind of dry, but my T-zone is a bit fat.

1. Wash your face twice a day with a cleansing foam (Shiseido Men cleansing foam).

2. Every time you have washed your face, use a moisturizer (Biothrem Homme actif hydratant). Be careful on what creme you use, because some will be to fatty for your skin and then your skin will shine.

You can also use a special creme for your eyes (Biotherm Homme Hydra Detox Yeux).

3. Scrub your face twice a week (Shisheido Men deep cleansing scrub) and use nosie strips is you got blackheads (this really works).

4. Use a moisturizing mask once a week after scrubbing your face.

I think this is it, didn't forget anything I hope :eek: .

• 4 months later...
mild soap not to irritate and then benxoyl? I used 2.5% brevoxyl (I think..) at some point and it irritated the shit out of my skin, this was when I was using a standard cleanser which wasn't helping. plus I was adviced to use it very lightly on the places needed, not your whole face.

Yea...not to bring back an old topic...but this is a good one...especially with the warmer/humid Summer weather around the corner.

Through my findings...I have to totally agree with MikeLowrey...hence the quote.

Benzoyl Peroxide = Redface

Salicylic Acid = Much better alternative

But then again, everyone's situation is different.

And yes...there needs to be a skin care manual stickied for Sufu...why not? All of this fashion stuff going on...we should all have the faces to go with our crispy wardrobe. Can I get an "amen?!?!" I mean shite...don't we all want to moisturize our situation? Perhaps even preserve our sexy?