Studio D'Artisan 103's

mike lowrey

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks, i bought some SDA 103s in a size 31. How do the waist and thigh shrink with just a cold soak. The waist currently fits, just slightly larger than it should and the thighs could use only a slight amount of shrinking. I know I read that they don't stretch much, but do they shrink a lot with a cold soak? These may have to go up for sale if they shrink too much.

Folks, i bought some SDA 103s in a size 31. How do the waist and thigh shrink with just a cold soak. The waist currently fits, just slightly larger than it should and the thighs could use only a slight amount of shrinking. I know I read that they don't stretch much, but do they shrink a lot with a cold soak? These may have to go up for sale if they shrink too much.

Soak them while your wearing them in the tub.

i have washed mine maybe 4 or 5 times and the length didn't really shrink any more than after the first wash. the rest of the jeans however... have continued to slim up. they won't stop shrinking bit by bit until after several washes.

So i just got a pair of SDA SD-103 from blue in green, and had them hemmed (great service, btw!) I hot soaked (water at 40-50 degrees for about 3 hours) them trying to get most of the shrinking out of the way, and the length now is pretty close to perfect. Should I be expecting a lot more shrinking in subsequent washes, or do hot soaks tend to get most of the shrinking out of the way the first time?

• 1 month later...
assuming you went up 1 or 2 sizes when you bought your LVC 47's, i'd say go with your true waist size with the SD103.

As a matter of fact I did not, I bought them (lvc 47') true in size and just gave the a quick soak and now they have stretched a litte bit so ther is still a bit more to shrink.

Just picked up a pair of SD-103's from BiG. They're super dark and feel like cardboard/sandpaper. I hope they soften up some. I just gave them a warm soak for about an hour and the inseam shrunk to almost exactly 33 inches, which I think is about right. I sized up by one to a size 30 (which the woman at BiG also recommended) because presoak, they were already a bit snug. After the soak, I noticed that the waist had shrunken a lot, so I threw on a waistband stretcher in hopes that I can button them up. I'm letting them dry now and they really seem like they're going to bleed all over everything. The droplets are very heavy in indigo. (Another reason I threw on the waistband stretcher rather than myself inside... didn't want to look like a smurf or have indigo all over my apartment.)

Hi I am ready to order a pair of SDA-003 from BIG but am not exactly sure what size to get. I wear a 30 in the RRDS and after a couple months wear they measure in at about 16.5 inches across the waist and fit perfect. I also have a size 29 APC Rescues. I know BIG gives the pre soak measurements for these butdo not have post soak. So what size would you guys recommend? A 31 or 32 to be needed in these?

Hi I am ready to order a pair of SDA-003 from BIG but am not exactly sure what size to get. I wear a 30 in the RRDS and after a couple months wear they measure in at about 16.5 inches across the waist and fit perfect. I also have a size 29 APC Rescues. I know BIG gives the pre soak measurements for these butdo not have post soak. So what size would you guys recommend? A 31 or 32 to be needed in these?

if 16.5 of the RRDS fits you perfectly, i'd say to go with the 32 in the SDA.

Like almost all Japanese jeans, SD-103s shrink to tag size and stretch out up to about an inch. After a washer/dryer routine, my size 34s measure 33.8. They usually stretch out to 34.6 after a few days' wear.

The only tricky part might be that the rise on these is relatively low. So if you're used to wearing your jeans high or as they're supposed to (a lot of people don't), keep in mind that these will sit lower on your waist.

Hope this helps.

Just picked up a pair of SD-103's from BiG. They're super dark and feel like cardboard/sandpaper. I hope they soften up some. I just gave them a warm soak for about an hour and the inseam shrunk to almost exactly 33 inches, which I think is about right. I sized up by one to a size 30 (which the woman at BiG also recommended) because presoak, they were already a bit snug. After the soak, I noticed that the waist had shrunken a lot, so I threw on a waistband stretcher in hopes that I can button them up. I'm letting them dry now and they really seem like they're going to bleed all over everything. The droplets are very heavy in indigo. (Another reason I threw on the waistband stretcher rather than myself inside... didn't want to look like a smurf or have indigo all over my apartment.)

Oh, come on! Being a smurf is greatly underrated. You should see the state I end up in whenever I buy a new gi and hakama; blue from the neck down :D (I have some stuff that still bleeds a bit, 4 years later).

What waist size did you end up buying?

got a pair of these in sz 29. hot soaked and after a day of wear i noticed there's extra space at the top of waistband, but it's still true to size. i'll attribute this to the low rise.

loving these so far. before/after pics shall follow in a few days, too hectic around the house to snap photos.

Mine are still unsoaked and they fit extremely tight on the waist. about an inch and a quarter too tight. My question is will they ever stretch beyond unwashed size after soaking and breaking in?

IMO you should get a larger size. They will certainly shrink and I don't know if they will expand enough, nevermind the discomfort you will have to endure getting there...