Studio D'Artisan 103's

mike lowrey

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had SDA-103's and they are literally steel. i maybe wore them 3 months, and there was no sign of fading in the creases at all.

i liked the fit very much. the front and back rise is short enough that it is fitted and doesn't look like diaper ass like repro's do.

out of all the japanese brands that i've handled in person, in terms of fit and finish/quality - Studios rank #1, then Flat head, then Samurais

even the patch was a beauty in itself - super thick

i believe the sda patches are made of goatskin, which gives them a more rugged feel. it really is a nice patch.

Well done for 4 months hiro! Everyone bitches about how hard these are to break in. You Swedes are amazing jean-faders - too bad it's not an Olympic sport:)

Granted I'm only on week 4 in mine, but I've been tough on them and have little to show for it. Keep on pluggin.....

• 2 weeks later...

Supawiwi - could you post some measurements of your 103xx?

(if you already did, i am awfully sorry - i did search your posts though!)

edit: i am currently doing the D-1335 24/7 for 2 1/2 month , but there are only slight signs of wear are at the back pockets, rivets, knees and of course the crotch. resistant beasts those sda's!

edit: i am currently doing the D-1335 24/7 for 2 1/2 month , but there are only slight signs of wear are at the back pockets, rivets, knees and of course the crotch. resistant beasts those sda's!

They're still drying I'll post the measurements when they're dry.

I think the wash didn't even improve the contrast of the wear. Those are definitely resistant.

it seems that SDA are rather constructed for quality than for fade and wear.

other brands seem to have a different intention for their garments (e.g. The Flat Head), with fades and sings of wear in basically no time compared to the SDAs.

Exactly. I think they have a different timetable in mind, because there are some absolutely beautiful SDAs after 2-3 years of wear. They just take more time, and they have the quality to last long enough to get to this point. I don't think I have ever seen a crotch blow-out on a pair of SDAs.

it seems that SDA are rather constructed for quality than for fade and wear.

other brands seem to have a different intention for their garments (e.g. The Flat Head), with fades and sings of wear in basically no time compared to the SDAs.

Yeah, totally. SDA are definitely more up my street. Got a pair in NY a few weeks back and am really pleased with them. People bang on about the build quality of Flatheads but I really don't see it - I have a pair of F310 and, to be honest, I kind of regret buying them. The construction of my 103s is infinitely better.

Here you go. 103xx tag size 34

Just after they dried. Machine wash 34°c no detergent.

Waist: 36

Thigh: 12.5

Leg opening: 8.5

Inseam: 35

Front rise: 10.75

Back rise: 14

I must say they shrunk a lot more than with the soaks, especially in length.

People bang on about the build quality of Flatheads but I really don't see it - I have a pair of F310 and, to be honest, I kind of regret buying them. The construction of my 103s is infinitely better.

i think, that exactly this is the common misunderstanding!

totally different definitions of quality - SDAs are built to last longer, TFHs are built to fade faster.

take skull as an example, they even use cotton-only threads for the stitching so that basically the jeans fall apart after a few month of constant wear, if you are not up to basic repair work.

nevertheless, they do that on purpose, not to sell more jeans, but to achieve a great worn look after a shorter period of time and a great vintage jeans.

bottom line is, to speak here of 'quality' is misleading, as every customer of a brand and each brand have a totally different definition of it!

^^ What colour is the weft on the DP 292

I want to get it as a black pair of jeans but if the weft is grey like the 00xs then I'm not gonna

definitely on the greyish side of black, but nevertheless black. sulfur treated indigo, as far as i know and smell :P

there are some pics in the thread linked in my signature.

i really like them. supposed to be cut like the 103.

but, i will definitely buy another pair of really black denim at some point!

To answer your question, Exile, the 292s do have a bleached weft.

definitely on the greyish side of black, but nevertheless black. sulfur treated indigo, as far as i know and smell

I think that you are referring to the warp, the portion of the fabric on the outside part of the jean, which is sulfur-dyed on 292s. The weft is the inside part of the fabric, which should be either white or greyish if it is unbleached.

The thighs on this run small right? Because I have relatively small thighs and I'm thinking of getting a 103 true to size[29].

Is that gonna be loose? Super tight?

It sounds like everyone says size down, and it sounds like the stretching comes slowly, but what would be nice to know is like does it stretch a lot? Especially the people that wore it for like 2 years, could you tell me if it stretches a lot?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...