Studio D'Artisan 103's

mike lowrey

ok i'm more awake now and can give a nice little review.

so i wore mine out last night, bc i was gonna be dancing it up a little bit thus there would be a little bit of sweating in hopes that the waist would stretch out. i don't think it did; i think i just got used to the tightness.

anyway, i'm kind of torn about the fit. the higher back pockets actually look better on my noassatall *comparing to nudie svens*. the length is a bit long but i'm thinking of sending them off to BiG to get them hemmed up a little. the top block still kind of weirds me out bc the rise is a bout a half an inch higher than what i'm used to, and i'm used to it being more tilted/dipping to the front.

now the denim it self. like i said before, holy crap. it so saturated and completely darker than my ssds, almost black. its so saturated that, it already lightened up a little bit by where my wallet is and a very slight amount on the whiskers almost unnoticeable. this maybe old news to all you afficianados, but i am just flabergasted by how amazing the denim is!

questions are --

1. should i keep them bc they are basicallly contraband now (mine still have back pocket stitching, pocket tab, and leather patch in tact)? or sell them off for a better fitting pair? i'm leaning more toward the previous. *update* yeah forget this question i have them on right now, and made up my mind, they aren't going anywhere!

2. should i soak them in liquid starch? these are one wash and my main goal is to make these my ultimate worn in project jeans with clearly defined whiskers and combs etc.

3. if I get them chainstitched at BiG will the roping effect still be there even though they are one wash?

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. should i soak them in liquid starch? these are one wash and my main goal is to make these my ultimate worn in project jeans with clearly defined whiskers and combs etc.

3. if I get them chainstitched at BiG will the roping effect still be there even though they are one wash?

Let me preface this by saying "great buy!" Every time I look at my mine I'm reminded why I love them so much. Construction, details, denim, dyeing--it's all there.

The starch thing is personal preference I think, but it's unnecessary and can be harmful to the denim. When more people on the board were starching their jeans there were reports that places that were starched formed cracks or holes. I believe this is due to a combination of the starch weakening the cotton fibers and the brittleness of the fibers making them more susceptible to breakage. If you want contrasty fades just wear them hard and for a long time without washing.

As far the roping thing goes, it comes from the fibers warping when they're washed and dried so if you had them hemmed but didn't wash them you won't get the roping. You could try soaking them again and that might have some effect because it usually takes a couple of washes to get all the shrinking done.

My advice: don't bother with the starch and don't worry about the roping.

DP, How long have you worn them? This denim is one tough nut. I had the same deal with my 32 103's and had to sell them and go 33. Funny thing is i got the 105's in 33 too and I'm in the same boat as you in deciding whether to keep them. But my problem is in the waist.

IMO if they are crushing your balls you better get used to it or trade up to a 33. Also I'm curious if I'm just a fat SOB with a little dick or you're a skinny dude with a huge dick?

I think we are both adequate in the junk and it's getting crushed.

I'll probably sell mine because I just got a pair of S5000VXs that fit better and I don't think i'll spend time on jeans that hurt when I walk or sit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll probably sell mine because I just got a pair of S5000VXs that fit better and I don't think i'll spend time on jeans that hurt when I walk or sit.

this was a good move, as it gave me a chance to pick them up... just wanted to say that these are incredible jeans, thanks DP.

its amazing, the denim is just top quality. really, really nice construction and fit.

i.cant.take.them.off.

curious to see what some of their other models are like...

easily my new favorite. a classic.

I didn't want to start a new thread regarding this but my question is: SdA true to size? I"m interested in purchasing a pair but I'm afraid the sizes might be smaller. Anyone can chime me on this? Thanks.

i did true size and now after almost one month of wear they have stretched out to perfection..

but just after the soak they were seriously killing me... but they will stretch,,

someone previously said they wont stretch very much. however, i can attest to them stretching out too. i bought mine one washed and have worn them about twice, and worn them for 24 hours straight when i slept in them. they have stretched out comfortably. i'm thinking sleeping in them did the trick?

i think i mentioned they don't stretch that much, but i suppose that is relative. compared to fullcounts, nudies, apcs, etc, these don't stretch that much. i think after 2.5 months mine have stretched out about an inch, and it took a while even for that. but yes, they do stretch.

• 2 weeks later...

^yes, the stiffness will definately go away after the first wash, if it hasnt disappeared already due to you wearing them for so long.

stiffness is to denim as new car smell is to cars.

theres starch, and theres air fresheners, but you know its just not the same.

• 2 months later...

with a tape measure around my waist where i wear my jeans, it measures 34 -- i have a size 33 and it fits perfecto, like there is absolutuely nothing i would change about them.

and let me tell you this denim is tough, quality stuff. they are weaved SO tight, and i can say that now bc i have flat heads too now.

• 1 month later...
Studio D'Artisan are changing the stitching pattern on the rear pockets, one of the first brands to move away from the Levis law suit. As a result....

I will be distributing SDA throughout the UK and Europe, the first delivery arrives in october to a few select stores in the UK and a very special online e-tailer. More news will follow, but I felt you guys shouldd be first to know this exciting news. If you would like any pre orders of 103's (incl black denim model), 203's (same tyle but 14oz denim) 101's, 201's (same style but 14 oz) DO-1's contact me at [email protected] and I'll make it happen.

Yay for black 103's! :D

Nay for me not living in Europe :mad:

...although I'm sure Gordon will get them too...so whatevs :rolleyes:

Studio D'Artisan are changing the stitching pattern on the rear pockets, one of the first brands to move away from the Levis law suit. As a result....

I will be distributing SDA throughout the UK and Europe, the first delivery arrives in october to a few select stores in the UK and a very special online e-tailer. More news will follow, but I felt you guys shouldd be first to know this exciting news. If you would like any pre orders of 103's (incl black denim model), 203's (same tyle but 14oz denim) 101's, 201's (same style but 14 oz) DO-1's contact me at [email protected] and I'll make it happen.

Hey Lewis, any idea which stores will be stocking these in the UK?

• 2 weeks later...