Studio D'Artisan 103's

mike lowrey

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the inseam only shrinked 2 cm on mine with a warm-ish soak, maybe 30C.

IIRC, LHT (D1002) tends to shrink up more than RHT (103), all things considered. As for your needing a longer inseam, while I think that the fit on your jeans is very good (although maybe not as good as Felix's, which are imo, near perfect) you might want to consider the Fullcount 1108, which, iirc (again, apparently losing memory) has a similar fit (true straightleg, reasonably slim) but with a slgihtly higher rise in the front and less of a contour than the SDA 103s (which have a pretty pronounced contour compared to most repro or repro inspired jeans - the SDA 103 is a modern jeans based loosely on the '47, imho. Some Samurai models (say, the one that replaced the 0505,) might work as well. No experience with Skull, so cannot comment there. The 5EP bootcut (which has a slightly higher (about 0.5") rise all around than the 103s) may work as well, but size down 2 from the SDA103s to get a similar fit (unless you plan to soak them about 10 times before wearing). The denim and construction details on the 5EP are both pretty amazing. (I would guesstimate the denim weight at 14 ounces or so, they don't specify. It is a very tight weave, and quite different from pretty much any other denim I've seen.) And if you want a dark, tough jean, those are it - Wild Whiskey would testify to that.

sda's fit like nudie rrds without the bootcut and is a slimmer fit. pick your size or if you're risky go down one, everything will be ok. if you want diors, get diors. since you have diors, go with more diors.

sda 103 is one of the more modern cuts by a japanese company. only lower cut i've seen is the somets.

poly did you startch your 103? i love your comb

when i first had them for like 2 weeks i put a bunch of starch on it, but that was like in april...i actually had to soak em to get rid of the starch. too much starch is a bad thing, thats what destroyed my rescues...so my sda's were just good wearing, too bad they're just hanging on my hook now...at least for a bit..

when i first had them for like 2 weeks i put a bunch of starch on it, but that was like in april...i actually had to soak em to get rid of the starch. too much starch is a bad thing, thats what destroyed my rescues...so my sda's were just good wearing, too bad they're just hanging on my hook now...at least for a bit..

pics of the destroyed apc's?

My size 33 one wash SD-103's have a 35" inseam which is really too long for me. According th thr D'artisan site this is correct for a pair that have been washed. I've done a bit of searching and from the few pairs I've seen in the Supermarket they seem to have a 36" inseam when raw. Can anyone confirm this? Just want to know so I know how much to get took off a pair of raw SD-103's if buying again.

SDA's seem to have ridiculously inconsistent sizing. My pair are size 34 and shrunk down to a very small 32 (they measured about 81.5ish cm when I first hot washed them from raw) and have gradually stretched out to about 16.5 - 17" in the waist, since I wear them on my hips.

and yes, the inseam is 36" when raw.

SDA's seem to have ridiculously inconsistent sizing. My pair are size 34 and shrunk down to a very small 32 (they measured about 81.5ish cm when I first hot washed them from raw) and have gradually stretched out to about 16.5 - 17" in the waist, since I wear them on my hips.

and yes, the inseam is 36" when raw.

they shrink to tag size. you measured the back of the waistband, that's why you get something different.

Cheers Minya. My one washes fit perfect but the inseam is way to long. Bears sizing guide is sort of fucked up to say the least. I'd have asked for them hemmed if I'd have known how long they were gonna be.

I see bears is selling "one wash" as well as currently obtaining raw denim versions of the SD-103. I thought that the 100 series was all made from the same denim which was raw and the 203 and 303 were the washed versions in different denim. Is bears putting the SD-103 through their own "one wash?" I don't think I've seen or heard of "one wash" 103's ever.

See: http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//item.rakuten.co.jp/bears/studiodartisan-sd103/&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

LOL, no. Measuring the back of the waistband is no less "correct" than any other type of measurement.

Both of you guys are correct. It really depends on the difference between the front and back rise. So, this method works better for, say, APCs han for a pair of SD103s. If the rise is considerably different, and do it this way, you will end up with up to about a 1.5" difference for the most extreme cases (in a size 30 or 31, which is my size, and thus the size I generally measure.)

Does anybody know how the fit of these studio d'artisans 103's and the samurai 0505xx compare?...I'm feeling the regret of selling my samurai's and was curious as to the 103 fit in comparison..

sd103 is slightly lower rise, slightly wider in the legs all the way and straight instead of tapering. about 1cm bigger leg opening at the same size. I'd say they're quite similar.

I have pics of both here but they're kinda small. I'm going to take new ones some day.

http://repeattofade.blogspot.com/2006/05/how-they-fit.html

• 2 weeks later...
I see bears is selling "one wash" as well as currently obtaining raw denim versions of the SD-103. I thought that the 100 series was all made from the same denim which was raw and the 203 and 303 were the washed versions in different denim. Is bears putting the SD-103 through their own "one wash?" I don't think I've seen or heard of "one wash" 103's ever.

See: http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//item.rakuten.co.jp/bears/studiodartisan-sd103/&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

i've been looking for one wash sd103s as well, and i haven't been able to find them anywhere on rakuten or elsewhere besides bears, who unfortunately doesn't ship to the US. can anyone confirm that bears is washing the raw sd103s and selling them, or can you get sd103s in a one wash somewhere else?

i've been looking for one wash sd103s as well, and i haven't been able to find them anywhere on rakuten or elsewhere besides bears, who unfortunately doesn't ship to the US. can anyone confirm that bears is washing the raw sd103s and selling them, or can you get sd103s in a one wash somewhere else?

Why don't you buy them raw? You can wash them once yourself if you like...

I don't know, man. The "Unwashed" and "Shrink To Fit" in the product description throws me for a loop. I was just saying... I thought the 1-series Studio D'artisan denim was only sold in jeans in an unwashed state and maybe Bears was self-laundering them. Does anyone know anything anything factual about this?

• 2 months later...

um . . . i'm spent like a mofo after a long night, but i wanted say something about sd-103s -- i arrived home to find my one washed jeans in the mail, hurried into the house to open them and there they were in all there glory.

*said slowly* ho lee shit, jack-pot! the denim is like butta, not really butter but just looking at it makes me smile.

My 103s are fine in the waist but tight in the thighs and ball crushing in the crotch. I can't decide if I want to sell them or hang on and stretch them out.

They are 32s.

DP, How long have you worn them? This denim is one tough nut. I had the same deal with my 32 103's and had to sell them and go 33. Funny thing is i got the 105's in 33 too and I'm in the same boat as you in deciding whether to keep them. But my problem is in the waist.

IMO if they are crushing your balls you better get used to it or trade up to a 33. Also I'm curious if I'm just a fat SOB with a little dick or you're a skinny dude with a huge dick?

um . . . i'm spent like a mofo after a long night, but i wanted say something about sd-103s -- i arrived home to find my one washed jeans in the mail, hurried into the house to open them and there they were in all there glory.

*said slowly* ho lee shit, jack-pot! the denim is like butta, not really butter but just looking at it makes me smile.

SDA denim is like no other. Enjoy! I have given you rep for having such good taste in denim.:cool: