Studio D'Artisan 103's

mike lowrey

edit: I dont have these anymore, so all info/details/knowledge I have is already posted.

just got these in the right size, I figured I might as well document the progress I get with these just for poops and giggles. maybe someone even gets some useful info from this :rolleyes:

compulsory detail pics:

sda_05.jpg

sda_06.jpg

a month or so back I got the SDA's in sz 33, I usually wear a 31 in unwashed jeans (dior, APC..) but according to measurements these should've been my size. apparently Bears on rakuten got the measurements wrong and they were bigger. fit was ok but I figured they'd eventually stretch to become loose so I decided to sell them and switch to a smaller size.

heres the measurements for sz 32:

spankin new:

waist across: 40.5cm

inseam: 87cm

hem: 21.5cm

quick soak in luke warm water:

waist across: 40cm

inseam: 85cm

hem: 21cm

so the waist is about 4-5cm too small compared to my other jeans.. initially I could button 2 buttons, after the soak I pulled the waist by hand a bit, put them on for a few mins and then let em dry.

soak:

sda_01.jpg

sda_02.jpg

sda_03.jpg

patented lowrey2000 drying system:

sda_04.jpg

(seriously, they dry in about an hour :eek: )

when they were dry I put them on and moved around a bit and slowly managed to stretch them enough to button them. after 3 hours of wear and one walk to the store the waist is already 43.5cm. wohoo!

post soak:

sda_07.jpg

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you have the measurements for the front and back rise? I've been considering a pair of SDAs, but I'm worried the rise will be too low.

sure, front rise from the crotch seam is 26cm and back 36cm. laid flat (not from seam but lowest point of crotch) its 28cm and 34cm. not sure which is the correct way of measuring so theres both.

i'm deciding between these and the 003's. right now the differences seem to be LHT, grey weft, and 14 oz. Anything else i should know about the two? the link to the 003 thread in the encyclopedia is down

Actually, the D1002 is 15 ounces, according to the BIG website. I recently held both, and wore both, in the same size, and found the weight difference negligible, if in fact there was any,,, In any case, the main difference in the denim is that the D1002 have a softer hand to them, probably due to the LHT. The 103 feels more cardboard stiff. The D1002 is also a slight bootcut (about .75-1" on a pair of 30W), while the 103 is a true straightleg (at size 30, they are slightly tapered for larger sizes). The D1002 is also considerably slimmer through the seat and thighs than the 103. They also feel slightly lower rise because of this, although the rise is actually identical (per my measurements). Finally, the color of the D1002 is noticeably darker and looks "cooler" than the 103. not just because of the grey weft (which makes the optic white wefted denim on the 103s look super bright by comparison, but also because the stitching on the 103 is bright orange, while the D1002 has pale yellow stitching. Oh, and there are no hidden back rivets on the D1002. I think that Gordon (of BIG) described the difference best. The D1002 is more of a "chic cowboy" look than the 003, which has a more repro sensibility (although it is not a repro cut.)

i love the 103s, thinkin of getting another pair.

if you're thinking of getting another pair, you might want to consider the 003s. i'm loving the way they're fading. it's a nice alternative to the more classic vintage-like 103 fades, imo.

i'm deciding between these and the 003's. right now the differences seem to be LHT, grey weft, and 14 oz. Anything else i should know about the two? the link to the 003 thread in the encyclopedia is down

another thing i've noticed from my experience is that the 003s feel looser and seem to stretch more than the 103s. this is probably because of the way they're woven. a tad more on the comfy side of things, i think.

if you're thinking of getting another pair, you might want to consider the 003s. i'm loving the way they're fading. it's a nice alternative to the more classic vintage-like 103 fades, imo.
are you seeing a whole lot of fading, Chicken?

I was going to pick up a pair but I figured they'd be incredibly hard to break in. I prefer more contrast.

ok so here are mine...received them about a week ago from kix (thanks again,man)

they are size 34 which is my usuall size.

they were kinda hard to button up after soaking but it worked:p

....i added some powder starch thing in the soaking water so they came out nearly as stiff as before the soak

so here are some pics:

302701162_3d3119a3ac.jpg

302701163_f82215b91e.jpg