The ugliest Jeans in the world thread.

thelion1856

seeing as this is now thread for ever developing vetements x levis collab

some pix from their 'catalogue' that came w. current re-edition mag

groovy cover, a levis ad within to up ante

their levis spread

a denim leather combo you all will love

and from different image set, they are replacing catwalk with lookbook of zurich locals; two denim related examples

(redefining dad jeans both)

edit: not ever gonna be wearing these, but not wretching either; looking at this from outside debates re: repro jeans, thinking this is about a fashion house positioned between normcore, streetwear and post-margiela / cdg deconstruction; levi's being drawn is as part of a palette, yet unlike brioni [who also been vetements partner] levis seem less invested in keeping operation local...

edit 2; needles (and others, ie bandana almanac et al. ) reworks are much better imo, but vetements pushing the ugly as fucking possible vibe, so the shoe fits...

edit 3: thought I'd also paste in maison margiela's sock jumper from c.1991 - a jumper made entirely from surplus army socks: does anyone know of re-worked garments / rebuilds from prior to that (excluding the age old tradition of total repair from ground up or boro)? the watanabe frankenstein horror above obviously inserts itself into that narrative, but... fail (somehow not ugly enough - the leather of the vetements piece out-uglies it by miles)

and then fuggit, for the non-existant sufu reading group; one of the key articles on clothing and deconstruction and theory etc. attached also from back in the day (Alison Gill writing in 1998 I believe... ) - this is the lens by which I am looking at this particular stuff (not asking myself whether I would wear it... obviously SDA and TCB make things better [with certain parameters, i.e. they don't make the outsize floral dresses we all need...] ...)

[and then back to reading on trolling and cultural appropriation - which actually fits quite well in relation to the above...]

IMG_3920.JPG

IMG_3921.JPG

IMG_3916.JPG

IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3919.JPG

IMG_3922.JPG

IMG_3923.JPG

IMG_3924.JPG

margiela sock jumper.png

Deconstruction Fashion The Making of Unfinished Decomposing and Re assembled Clothes.pdf

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

3 hours ago, Geeman said:

I'm not actually sure what I just read.

sorry for confusion, i appreciate i was garbled

[monday morning coffee rush perhaps]

to recap: found this quasi-ironic catalogue by clothing company vetements [who are responsible for a few ugly-jeans earlier in this thread]

… who have done recent collaborations with levi's (also w. carhartt wip [making quite nice apron dress], manolo blahnik [shoes/boots], brioni [suit makers]...)

… this catalogue is evidence that their collaboration with levi's is being deepened (particularly as levi's is providing them with their brand and advertising dollar [and in reference to death of cone, the words of the levi’s ad [all work has equal value] has extra piquancy now…])

so… in spirit of ugly jeans thread [as these are indeed challenges to notions of taste or beauty or steez or...] thought i would post the catalogue itself, some recent look-book images which now replace the vetements catwalk [images where the norm-core 'dad in jeans' look meets 'deconstruction' fashion], and then some other items (a famous jumper made of socks from early 90s, an academic essay on deconstruction and fashion) that might contextualise why there is / has been so much a move to re-mixing / re-working garments that seem like [and may well be] utter shite

then asking if anyone knows of other practices (such as Needles or Bandana Almanac or traditions of boro) where garments are re-made not as reproduction but as literally the taking apart / putting together of two or more existing garments... [thinking aloud possibly about the porosity of culture, and the inter/re-mixing that these garments point to [which clearly are hated by repro purists whilst there are some shared interests – ie the appropriation of american denim brands by osaka 5 etc., but widely divergent goals / aesthetics… ]

the multiple edits in prior post occurring as my jumbled thought process goes through vain  attempts to justify why the f**** I have posted these images, neither as ‘fan-boy’ nor as repro purist…

[but with full acknowledgement that what i like to wear has deep connection to legacy of osaka 5 strand of things; they are proper made to be proper worn – the last vetements garment i came in contact with was missing a button = pretty poor show…]

re: trolling and cultural appropriation: that is just what I am reading rite now so sorry for confusion…

…but to expand methinx vetements sit quite happily as both trolls of fashion [Gabriella Coleman has termed the troll who operates through ‘linguistic spectacle’ – I see this in their work [if seeing fashion as a discursive system] whilst Angela Nagle has also written on the exhaustion of transgression that trolling evidences – thusly perhaps the ‘transgression’ of such bad taste items may well just be exhausted flapping of a dead fish]

and deconstructive fashion [vetements clearly working in same vein as Martin Margiela – see the essay attached to the previous post] working with appropriation as well as pointing towards the ‘normal’ / authenticity – ie via model casting and turn to streetwear in high fashion situation, but also appropriation of skills, of cultural heritage etc. etc. etc.]

or maybe this is now a spiderman thread… [bad reference to internet-chan speak for derailment]

spiderman_thread.png

1 hour ago, UkeNo said:

How is it possible that even the Ugly Jeans thread is now being overthought!???

ugliness is a serious bizzinezz!

mark cousins on the ugly is good writings; ugliness "belongs to the hell of error; it can never accede to the heaven of what is ideal and what is necessary"

[some more below: posted by Judith Clark with some of her questions as responses...]

On 24 October 2017 at 2:24 AM, Iron Horse said:

Bugle Boy called, they want their catalog back!

hell bugle boy never used comic sans to my knowledge

[with ugly jean jacket as bonus]

IMG_3963.JPG

IMG_3964.JPG

0001.png

0002.png

If the shark hadn't already been cleared long ago, comic sans left it in the dust.

Not sure about the assertion that stains aren't aesthetic issues, though. Never thought deconstructionism had taken a stab at clothing too.

Edited by Iron Horse

On 23/10/2017 at 11:20 AM, bartlebyyphonics said:

edit 3: thought I'd also paste in maison margiela's sock jumper from c.1991 - a jumper made entirely from surplus army socks: does anyone know of re-worked garments / rebuilds from prior to that (excluding the age old tradition of total repair from ground up or boro)? the watanabe frankenstein horror above obviously inserts itself into that narrative, but... fail (somehow not ugly enough - the leather of the vetements piece out-uglies it by miles)

jumping further off the rails I'd give you Elsa Schiaparelli in 1938 or even arguably Marcel Duchamp in 1913

on with the show...

3 hours ago, garden gnomes in space said:

Gotta go commando in those thong denims though. The only way to wear 'em.

Incidentally, what's happened to this thread? I think Bamber Gascoigne has sent his A-team in to hijack it!

I'm in a nostalgic mood today after listening to thrash metal demos from '81-'83 and felt the need to trash this thread up with some classic ugly jeans:

Fold-over jeans (I think I've seen Kapital make these, maybe):

foldover-jeans-1.jpg

Z. Cavaricci (something for the Kapital-esque brands to consider):

z-cavaricci-pants-2.jpg

fashion-blogs-slaves-to-fashion-2012-06-

The Jordache look (low-hanging fruit, I know):

Screen-shot-2014-02-21-at-8.18.27-PM-620

And to connect it to the present, because the kids like to wear parachute pants these days for some reason:

1408062870034-P-1941773.jpg

how comes SNL's "Wokes" did not get mentioned here - because it's a joke/not real/not really denim? (maybe they did and I missed it..)

Edited by Foxy2

13 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Incidentally, what's happened to this thread? I think Bamber Gascoigne has sent his A-team in to hijack it!

13 hours ago, mlwdp said:

My eyes have been burning from this page of the thread for the longest.

your welcome!

and yes, I promise I will stop after this, but as a last halloween hurrah I post a bonus monstrous hybrid from current balenciaga: with the runway vids / shots you dont see the back so well, here in this shot by the master purveyor of the ugly, johnny dufort, you get the errant trouser; ugliness as the hell of error indeed.. or the monstrous as that abject 'place where meaning collapses' perhaps

@Iron Horse I bow to the monstrosity of those 80s fold-overs: i feel these are what the current season of stranger things is missing in the upside down...

15 hours ago, rodeo bill said:

jumping further off the rails I'd give you Elsa Schiaparelli in 1938 or even arguably Marcel Duchamp in 1913

on with the show...

^^^ @rodeo bill: yesyesyes, all love to the excesses of elsa schiaparelli. Lurching fully off-rail (and as promised I shall return to my crypt after this) and in the spirit of halloween, and its associated monsters, I share some pages from derek mccormack's novella 'the show that smells' - an allegorical posing of coco chanel as vampire hunter (as purveyor of 'classy, comfortable, christian couture'... phps the spiritual ancestor of steez) hunting down a vampiric schiaperelli to rid the world of her queering artifice...

001.jpg

002a.png

003.jpg

13 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

@Iron Horse I bow to the monstrosity of those 80s fold-overs: i feel these are what the current season of stranger things is missing in the upside down...

Well, I haven't watched it but I'm guessing Stranger Things 2 is set in '83, and the fold-over jeans were more like '87 and on, so we might have to wait until Stranger Things 6. :P

21 hours ago, hudsonjames said:

Quite the statement. I wouldn't totally hate the Mèow pockets by themselves, but it's too much with four.

image.thumb.png.d41686349827b514df09ec1320c18871.png

They are definitely cat approved

Edited by mlwdp

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2017 at 7:22 PM, garden gnomes in space said:

found another precedent from japanese streetstyle book

c.2012... better undergarment useage than the thibaut perhaps 

edit: props of course for suspenders and tuck

IMG_4668.JPG

• 4 weeks later...