Bicyclettes

canice

• 2 weeks later...

always been a mountain biker. i have a single speed hard tail made for dirt jumping and down hill that i put some maxxis hookworm tires on for street use right now, but my dad has a mud brown bianchi from the 80s sitting in his garage not being used. hmm.

• 4 weeks later...

Dumb question but how did you guys get "into cycling".  I pretty much just ride to class, around town, and on the trails on my fg and I've gotten a bit more interested in riding more seriously.  I don't play any sports or anything so I figured I should find some kind of active passion.  Do a ny of you race, ride intensely, do cyclocross or anything of that nature?

i race road pretty much every weekend from march/april until august/september. will probably get into cross this year assuming i've got the cheddar to get a bike. i started riding a hybrid as exercise in high school to lose weight. really enjoyed it and loved the health benefits so i bought a cheap road bike (fuji 1.0). started riding with the local recreational group ride, eventually graduated to the hammerfest ride, made friends with the local racers, joined a race club, came to school and got really into collegiate cycling and the rest is history. if you're at college definitely see if the school has a club, great way to get into racing.

Sounds like you took a kind of similar route as to what I would like to do.  Started just commuting to not need my car and loose weight (used to be pudgy and have lost a lot of it).  Might be worth getting a roadie and trying to find a local group to ride with that's not super competitive and see if I like it from there. 

• 3 weeks later...

hello cycling friends. 

i am just about to start a new job and am now within "cycling range" from work so I am looking to pick up a decent road bike. happy to spend some $$$ but i want something that isn't ugly and all black! any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

My bike up there tried to kill me. Lost grip round a bend at the bottom of a hill. Smashed my knee up pretty good and now I'm in hospital with septic arthritis which hurts like a bitch.

told ya need toe clips.  jk.  are your brake cables routed opposite?  i always though front brake was left hand.  also hoodz for gripz.

range: short distance mainly, my office is 3/4kms away but i figured i would use the bike for other commuting as well. not intending on long rides (long distance running is more than enough of "long" anything)

ss/fg - not sure i can deal with that, its a very "hipster" thing in melbourne to rep one of those and i feel like at least some gears would be far more practical? correct me if this is wrong.

no need for fenders - backpack ftw. was thinking something from these guys 

$$$ - $600-$1000 was thinking second hand in that range but i am not sure if that's going to get me something decent that will last??

thanks for the feedback and help you're all too kind  :)

told ya need toe clips.  jk.  are your brake cables routed opposite?  i always though front brake was left hand.  also hoodz for gripz.

That's how we do things in the uk, although the cable routing is a little tidier now. I wear gloves so not too worried about hoods. Trying to find ones that fit first gen dura ace was not easy anyway.

Toe clips would have just meant it would have taken me longer to get my foot off the pedal while my body was being ground to pulp on the road...

I have now spent 4 freaking nights in hospital.

Smashed my Rolex too.

range: short distance mainly, my office is 3/4kms away but i figured i would use the bike for other commuting as well. not intending on long rides (long distance running is more than enough of "long" anything)

ss/fg - not sure i can deal with that, its a very "hipster" thing in melbourne to rep one of those and i feel like at least some gears would be far more practical? correct me if this is wrong.

$$$ - $600-$1000 was thinking second hand in that range but i am not sure if that's going to get me something decent that will last??

i'd stay away from a fixie but don't let the hipsters keep you from getting a single speed. they're fun and low maintenance and if you don't need to really deal with hills one gear with a flexible ratio is all you really need to get around. just keep the styling of the bike simple/understated and tasteful and it won't look like a hipstermobile.

I'd get a bike with gears first, and then if you realize that you only use 1 or 2 gears then you could move to singlespeed. 

For $600 you can find a nice used bike that is not too old, decent equipment, and have a bit left for cycling clothes (more important than the bike imo).

600 bucks will buy you a decent 105 level steel/aluminum bike (Avoid carbon at this price point, you'll end up with something ancient and you don't want to u-lock carbon) that's about 5-8 years old, that'll carry you forever for actual road riding until you start being competitive or really want to get a lighter bike.

I don't really like commuting on geared bikes because I like just slapping a lock on my bike with nothing on it, but my commute is just 2 miles long and more or less pancake flat.

If you commute, fenders are a nice thing to have because otherwise you get a lot of spray.

like 3 or 4 kms away or literally 0.75 kilometers..?  if youre not commuting long distance and its a lot of stop and go, i would prefer single speed or fixed gear.  less maintenance and cheaper. 

on the otherhand, riding a bike with brifters seems fun. i would pick up a bike like that on craigslist over a brand new singlespeed/fixed gear bicycle if it was a good deal.  ie. < $200.

My trusty steed for the past couple years. Built her up all NJS for the love and history of keirin cycling. Moving to Portland in august if any of you sufu cyclists out there want to ride.

Makino frame with Columbus Tubing and Columbus Fork ft. pearl white paint with classic makino sparkles

Sugino 75 cranks + MKS pedals + Toshi single straps

Izumi gold chain + EAI gold cog

Nitto b123aaa handlebars + Nitto Pro AA Jaguar stem

Nitto Sp72 Jaguar seatpost + Kashimax Five Gold seat

Araya RC540 rims + Suzue Pro Max hubs + Hoshi Spokes

f6af43ea181f11e3890c22000a1fa80f_7.jpg

Does anyone on here watch pro cycling? RvV today was pretty nice! Cancellara took the win like expected. I had my doubts up until the end. Kristoff was really strong today! He could easily be top 3 next weekend!

Yeah I've seen it.. Dumbass belgian getting the (also) belgian escapee back.

Road race rule number one : if you can't up and over a guy that runs away in the last 15K, don't try and get him back on your own.

The third and fourth guy will have so much more energy left when they pick up.

I was rooting for a belgian win but alas. You got to give it to Cancellara, he waited till the end and made it count.

People still build "NJS" rides? I remember when that stuff was suuuuper cool back in like 2006-2007. Now everyone is on monster bikes/SS Cross or whatever rando rivendell bike is cool now, I don't know.

Edited by exhaust fumes

People still build "NJS" rides? I remember when that stuff was suuuuper cool back in like 2006-2007. Now everyone is on monster bikes/SS Cross or whatever rando rivendell bike is cool now, I don't know.

Some people move on and follow trends, some stay true to the sport. Dont get me wrong, I think cx is awesome and looks tons of fun, but doesn't excite me as much as keirin. I suppose if I had the funds I would pick up a cx bike as well.