Bicyclettes

canice

This thread sucks. daniway is not helping. ITALIAN? ITALIAN? WRAP? Come on...

/rant

Give me help for my 'while-riding' nutrition. Was chasing a bunch of shop guys on a mountain trail, was keeping a 20mi pace for about 18, and then around mile 20 completely choked. First ride of the season for me, it's still 37º and snow/raining here in Chicago.

I used Cytomax in the past, but think I need to move to some kind of solid bar while riding, recommendations?

Also – want to pick up a decent 'cross bike as the loaner I'm using is going back to its owner soon. Like Surly crap, but heard their Crosscheck is pretty damn heavy for the size/price.

This thread sucks. daniway is not helping. ITALIAN? ITALIAN? WRAP? Come on...

/rant

Give me help for my 'while-riding' nutrition. Was chasing a bunch of shop guys on a mountain trail, was keeping a 20mi pace for about 18, and then around mile 20 completely choked. First ride of the season for me, it's still 37º and snow/raining here in Chicago.

I used Cytomax in the past, but think I need to move to some kind of solid bar while riding, recommendations?

Also – want to pick up a decent 'cross bike as the loaner I'm using is going back to its owner soon. Like Surly crap, but heard their Crosscheck is pretty damn heavy for the size/price.

Just a serious question, why do you need nutrition on a 20 miles ride? If you are choked after this distance you have to improve your condition and not the crap you want to eat/drink. All those instant powders are not worth their money. But hey, it was still the first ride for this season

If you really want to spend your money on bars (in my opinion the biggest waste of money for amateurs) I can recommend PowerBar and this Born stuff. But those bars aren't really healthy, tasty and cheap in general.

What price range for the (cyclo) cross bike?

There are 1370 pages in this threak, so I can't be bothered to even TRY searching through it. Anyways, quick question for whoever that may help:

I'm looking to buy a road bike for recreational riding. I have no real long-distance bike-riding experience. I'm not using it for transportation or city riding, just for some cardio and exercise. Mostly flat terrain, and occasional inclined hills, but nothing TOO steep. I would be riding on a road that hugs the ocean that eventually turns into a hilly incline next to the bay. I don't think I need a light bike, but will someone prove me wrong?

What should I buy, and is $500 enough for a pretty decent bike for that purpose?

Thanks in advance.

There are 1370 pages in this threak, so I can't be bothered to even TRY searching through it. Anyways, quick question for whoever that may help:

I'm looking to buy a road bike for recreational riding. I have no real long-distance bike-riding experience. I'm not using it for transportation or city riding, just for some cardio and exercise. Mostly flat terrain, and occasional inclined hills, but nothing TOO steep. I would be riding on a road that hugs the ocean that eventually turns into a hilly incline next to the bay. I don't think I need a light bike, but will someone prove me wrong?

What should I buy, and is $500 enough for a pretty decent bike for that purpose?

Thanks in advance.

$500 sounds like a used bike. But this don't have be meant negative. My advice, support your local dealer. Sometimes they got some nice and cheap used bikes which are refurbished. PLUS you can take a test drive.

Look out for Shimano 105er components. Those are the most durable and definitely worth their money. The pre Hollowtech 2 series should be cheaper for the same quality. I would advice an aluminum frame, because they are everywhere to get, light and cheap.

The wheelset is always the most expensive part on your bike. You should choose by your weight and use. Never take Shimano factory built wheelsets. Bontrager, FiR and some other wheelsets might work.

Still the most recommended factory built wheelsets are made by Mavic (old Cosmos stuff and new Ksyrium range). Otherwise check for Mavic rims (independent from your weight choose Open Pro) and Shimano 105er hubs. Riding those since 2004 without any service.

The other components will depend on your weight. If you are lightweighted you don't have to spend any cash on handlebar, stem nor seatpost. If you are a more muscular type you should check for Syntace or Ritchey components. Also other manufactures doing great stuff, but don't choose no name stuff if you can choose.

yay I finally have a reason to post in this thread.

While it's not much compared to the nice bikes posted here I just purchased my dream frame; a 1980s peugeot restored in white with its forks too. Soon as I can get the rest of the parts I am looking forward to learning a lot and of course riding!

Does anyone else here own a peugeot? I see that Italian frames are the most popular when it comes to old bikes...why is that?

I really like the lugwork on some of the frames, with clovers at the joints and all that.

(I am sorry if this has been asked before..)

Vintage peugeot frames are literally everywhere in the UK (and the rest of Europe I should think). I wouldn't necessarily say that italian frames are more popular although more recently (e.g. 80's instead of 60's) they may have been 'better' and used in more races and those later frames are more easily available and in better condition. Also you have to bear in mind that many peugeot models were made in huge quantities as cheap bikes for everyone compared to more exclusive and expensive italian stuff.

Not really sure what you're actually asking but there you go.

On the same subject this is really cool: http://www.peugeotshow.com/

the issue with french/italian/english frames is the sizing they use for components. finding a quality french bottom bracket is a huge pain in the ass compared to one with italian or english threading for example. this is compounded by the fact that american and japanese manufacturers also use italian threading standards

Ah I understand now, that explains a lot.

I guess if Dad had been into Italian cars/bikes instead of French I'd be building and using different brands of transport now. I am used to finding rare parts car-wise at least, haha.

Out of interest (and not many fotos in this thread recently?) are there any exclusive/grail worthy vintage French bikes?

the issue with french/italian/english frames is the sizing they use for components. finding a quality french bottom bracket is a huge pain in the ass compared to one with italian or english threading for example. this is compounded by the fact that american and japanese manufacturers also use italian threading standards
Good luck finding French threaded anything

also, most vintage Peugeot forks aren't large enough for newer brake calipers. I've had to drill out two forks to help friends with conversions. ugh. pain in the assszzzzz

Man, learn the art of the bike wash!

I love tubies a LOT, even to train (if dilligent) but I've been loving the ride of wide rim clinchers lately. Can't make up my mind on a set of fast wheels at all... But can't fathom why a full carbon clincher has any appeal; if you hit your rim after a flat at all on the asphalt or worse, the rim's gonna be toast, unlike if you have an alloy brake surface there which can be fixed up.

I wash my bike once every 3 - 4 weeks. Filth came from new gloves (PI Veer full finger). The leather palm bleeds badly, and foam tape isn't the easiest to clean. But it's all good. Tape is cheap.

FCC - cheap to repair a flat, easy to repair flat on the side of the road, hell of a lot lighter than carbon + alu braking surface. Would I do it? No. But Masters Cat 3 w/ $$$ will. I'll stick with tubies and 101s.

anyone fucks with surly?

been thinking of grabbing a cross check for commuting & small trips

either that or a soma, but I don't know much about either

Just bought the robins egg blue Cross Check, building it up for commuting and light touring, loving it. So far it's just a tank, not fancy, but never complaining. It's not as responsive or fast as my Specialized, but the steel eats everything up.

Biggest bitch is I get some toe overlap with the front wheel with the really big stock tires. Hoping that will be mostly taken care of when my Gatorskins arrive this week. Ugly and weak decals too, but the frame is obviously going to outlast those by a good margin.

If you get a complete bike stock from Surly be sure to swap the tubes out ASAP, the tubes are shit.