Bicyclettes

canice

mibicicleta.jpg

sorry for the completely shitty lack of any serious detail phone picture, but I got my new b17s in the mail today and I'm very excited about it ! already put 35 miles into it today :) :) :)

I want one just to see how fast I could break it in.

they start forming to the azz after about 100 miles. I haven't heard of them breaking in much faster than that, but you could always try humping it. it's pretty sexy

have any of you ever used the Cinelli Gel Cork Bar Tape ? the cork color would look nice with the new saddle and frame colors. just wondering about its durability/comfort/sweat absorbance.

Buddy, who's the resident bike expert and CAT4 racer swears by cinelli gel. I've bought some NOS off ebay (read: adhesive was dry and brittle) and they didn't crack during the time I had the bars and were fairly cushiony for its age.

I'd still like to try shellac.

Does anyone know what bars Massan rides?

5529999751_3c9373774f_z.jpg

I like that there's a lot more flat than most ergo bars I've seen.

I've been riding on 52-18 forever now. started out with a freewheel, but now that I've been riding fixed for a while I'd like if I could take down the amount of force I need to put in to start my momentum. I have been told a couple times that I can get essentially the same ratio stroke with a micro? drive train... assuming that this is correct information, can anyone tell me what might translate well?

from what i remember in my bmx days micro drivetrain just meant smaller chainring/sprocket. like running a 15t chainring with a 8t sprocket. you would have to lower your ratio if you want to accelerate easier, so you can either get a smaller chainring or bigger cog. Or get both new chainring/cog so your ratio is lower than what it is now (2.88)

Those are Deda's. Either the Newton or cheaper version. About 100mm reach on those bad Larry's, which is quite a bit more than any other bar.

Kinda old fashioned, back to peak of doping era.

Cinelli tape is the worst guys, I dunno how you use it. Feels great, but also rips easy, wears out fast, and is the least durable tape around. I recommend Handlebra if you're not going to race or change your bike for a while, or Deda or Arundel if you are. Fi'zik or other smooth finish tapes are an aquired taste. Stella Eleganza is really durable too, and grips well in all weather. Doesn't clean up as well as slicks, but I don't know how dirty y'all are getting it.

Newton or elementi, found bars on eBay w similar shape!

Very old bike check. That pic was from march and he's been riding same drops in the Leader commercial. Don't think he uses track drops anymore.

Emi has been answering questions for like 24 hours on his tumblr. Apparently he's only ever ridden track bars on the street. Kinda interesting tidbit.

Shellac is your friend.

bartape.jpg

is this leather bar tape? my boyfriend said it looked like shellaced cloth tape, but it kind of looks like the cinelli leather wraps to me. either way, it's really gorgeous, and I'd like to be able to achieve something similar to this.

also... are you saying that I can just shellac my gel cork cinelli tape?

is this leather bar tape? my boyfriend said it looked like shellaced cloth tape, but it kind of looks like the cinelli leather wraps to me. either way, it's really gorgeous, and I'd like to be able to achieve something similar to this.

also... are you saying that I can just shellac my gel cork cinelli tape?

Concerning leather bar tape and all that jazz – I'm a big fan of velo-orange's elkhide sewn-on bar covers, here:

gr-0005_1.jpg

Caveat Emptor – it requires hand-sewing, about 2 hours worth. Comfy. However, if you regularly ride 40/50+ miles, I would suggest pre-wrapping using a layer of normal gel tape, and then sewing on the elk-hide.

Velo-orange also has shellac flakes thedaniway, if you'd like to shellac your gel cork. I don't know if gel cork will work, you should probably use a cork only wrap but anybody else have any input?

Also – I am DEFINITELY buying a Surly Pugsley and slapping Large Marge wheels on there and a fixed gearset for winter. Trying to bike around in skinnies in 10º and ice was a recipe for disaster.

I repped you. getting me excited for World Naked Bike Ride Day... which is coming up soon, I think !

Concerning leather bar tape and all that jazz – I'm a big fan of velo-orange's elkhide sewn-on bar covers, here:

gr-0005_1.jpg

Caveat Emptor – it requires hand-sewing, about 2 hours worth. Comfy. However, if you regularly ride 40/50+ miles, I would suggest pre-wrapping using a layer of normal gel tape, and then sewing on the elk-hide.

Velo-orange also has shellac flakes thedaniway, if you'd like to shellac your gel cork. I don't know if gel cork will work, you should probably use a cork only wrap but anybody else have any input?

Also – I am DEFINITELY buying a Surly Pugsley and slapping Large Marge wheels on there and a fixed gearset for winter. Trying to bike around in skinnies in 10º and ice was a recipe for disaster.

I have a friend that rides the Pugsley with Large Marge wheels, and it's a fuck ton of fun to ride... even when the weather is nice...

so you're saying get the regular Cinelli cork tape and Amber shellac it vs. Cinelli gel cork tape. got it. that's fine. it will be cheaper that way anyhow. and I ride about 100+ miles a week, so thanks for the advice on the sew-on wraps

5601114021_0a63a341c5_z.jpg

Photo from the Pace Bend 2011 race about a month ago. developed it myself. kind of love the winner's expression (even though you can only see his open mouth)

ayo. I know this is a bit rudimentary for most in this thread, but I'm buying a bike to commute to work. Only riding 3 miles each way, and trying to keep the price below $700. I'm looking at:

Cannondale Quick 4

Trek 7.3fx

Bianchi Camaleonte Uno

I'm wide open to other options as well, but not interested in fixed gear / single speed. I've heard all 3 ride really similar, and the Bianchi style definitely appeals to me, but I'd like to get something reliable.

Suggestions?

honestly, I'm not trying to sweat a ton on the way to work. It's a decently hilly ride, so a geared bike is where I'm headed. I had a fixie for a bit, and it was aight, but just doesn't interest me. That, and the geometry of most fixed gear bikes wasn't comfortable for me for longer rides. I'm definitely looking for something I enjoy riding, but something more utilitarian.

I recently recommended Linus to another poster on this issue.

I would recommend an internally geared hub bike for you, cheap triples are high-maintenance and not reliable in general. Misconception is that more gears = more speeds/range, when this is mostly untrue. Manufacturers simplify lines for ease of buying, so if you buy honestly within your use, you will have the gears you need.

I.E.- a seven speed internally geared bike (no external derailleurs) will have plenty of gearing for hilly terrain, the gears are simply not spaced as closely as a bike with more gearing options. Easy. And lowwww maintenance w/ cheap replacement parts.