Bicyclettes

canice

Put some drop bars on and had to get a new brake lever cause my old one didnt fit. I wiped out today, i usually keep my hands on top of the bars but I wanted to try out the racing position. I was just in my own world then i notice a huge pot hole in front of me....it was huge. If i tried to go through or over it I would have fuked up my bike so I bailed, I think i flipped over, i don't really remember but the bike is fine and im fine....my arm hurts a bit though lol.

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

saw this today

IMG_1117.jpg

Rather than do what your bike is supposed to do--ride over the ground--you electively crashed?

I think once you review this, you will realize that was foolish. Your bike can handle some impact and even trampling through potholes. I've dented a few rims on them, but they still ride, and flats usually didn't even happen. Rims are wear items.

Next time bunnyhop, avoid, or just unweight the front wheel a bit, nothing will happen to you. The only time you should bail is if you cannot avoid an immobile object and want a predictable crash. Do not fear the road surface, you can cruise over much more than you might think.

Anyone riding over 110psi on anything but the track is a kook, also. Try less.

yeah I literally noticed it less then a second before it happened. This pothole was huge though, im not exaggerating, ill say it had a 1.5 ft diameter and was about 6 inches deep at its lowest point.

I feel ya, but you can literally just pull up the front end a little and roll right over.

At speed (18-24mph) clearing 4' wide traintracks w/ rubber road landing on either side is easily cleared w/ a 1-2" bunnyhop.

More confidence and experience will help you avoid injury in the long run and keep you out there. Don't crash from fear and don't fear the crash!

anyone fucks with surly?

been thinking of grabbing a cross check for commuting & small trips

either that or a soma, but I don't know much about either

Surly's are beefy and heavy. Soma's are well-made, inexpensive bikes that have tubing proportionate to their usage. So their loaded touring bike is appropriately more heavy tubing than the road 'racer' and so on.

Surly is the buy and forget about it frame, Soma's will have a more tuned ride quality.

@Paean, hope to see the bars go next...! You'd probably like the Ergonova's (or Ergosum's) if you're not a round bar affectionate.

Rather than do what your bike is supposed to do--ride over the ground--you electively crashed?

I think once you review this, you will realize that was foolish. Your bike can handle some impact and even trampling through potholes. I've dented a few rims on them, but they still ride, and flats usually didn't even happen. Rims are wear items.

Next time bunnyhop, avoid, or just unweight the front wheel a bit, nothing will happen to you. The only time you should bail is if you cannot avoid an immobile object and want a predictable crash. Do not fear the road surface, you can cruise over much more than you might think.

Anyone riding over 110psi on anything but the track is a kook, also. Try less.

Well, on SFFixed someone posted their wrecked D2 from a simple piece of wood infront of them. And I mean, WRECKED. Depending on how big that pot hole is, he could've wrecked his shit.

But realistically he should've had his eyes focused on the road anyways, rather than tucking his head down (assuming) like a Keirin racer. As well as having decent reaction time to go from the bottom of the drops to the top. Isn't hard, but guy was trying them out, and more than likely went with instinct. As weird as that instinct was, it's what first came to mind. Good thing there wasn't a car trying to get around you.

People getting rid of their fixed gears for geared bikes.

I understand the progression as for many people a fixed gear is the first bike they've ridden since they were much younger. What I don't get is people shelling off their fixies for 10-speeds. The justifications of pushing a single gear, no coasting or brakes, simplicity, are contradicted. Vintage is awesome always but is this just an observation or have hipsters realized they're the least athletic people and despite how zen they used to ride now need to shift down on hills?

On the topic of gears, are bikesdirect road/cross bikes cool? My marine hommie was telling me, twenty miles fixed is fun but sixty miles on a road bike is even funner.

Hey all, just sold my fixed gear I left at college, and am thinking of selling these, which I recently was given:

http://www.maverickbike.com/main/do/products/productID/3

http://www.lapierrebikes.us/lapierre/road-bike/2009/X-LITE-400-FDJ

So that I can buy something like this:

http://www.ifbikes.com/OurBikes/Road/Factory_Lightweight/

Any thoughts? I kind of want to keep them both, but I really don't have the room for them...nor will I be doing much trail riding in the foreseeable future.

People getting rid of their fixed gears for geared bikes.

I understand the progression as for many people a fixed gear is the first bike they've ridden since they were much younger. What I don't get is people shelling off their fixies for 10-speeds. The justifications of pushing a single gear, no coasting or brakes, simplicity, are contradicted. Vintage is awesome always but is this just an observation or have hipsters realized they're the least athletic people and despite how zen they used to ride now need to shift down on hills?

On the topic of gears, are bikesdirect road/cross bikes cool? My marine hommie was telling me, twenty miles fixed is fun but sixty miles on a road bike is even funner.

for the record, i switched to a road bike because i wanted to engage myself in a more serious discipline of cycling. (theres no velodrome in singapore so fixies = street bikes??) and that i wanted to get faster.

I'd love to support IF cause I have friends there and all, but the less expensive frames are quite heavy, and all the frames are terribly, terribly expensive.

I am not fond of their aesthetic, but if you like them, it's hard to name a better made bike of that type. If custom is what you are after (eh...) I'd be after a Crumpton, Calfee, or Steelman. For an inexpensive beater steel bike, Curtlo.

Sell off that full suss while its still worth something, suss designs are changing so often the hype doesn't last long...

Ive been thinking of making the switch to a Road Cycle too. Although riding a fixed gear is a ton of fun and a challenge, at the end of the day you just get more performance out of a Road Bike

IF is nice and all, but I find their overall aesthetic kinda boring. There's so many more interesting options out there for a lightweight steel road frame, and many of them are cheaper.

If I had the will and cash for a custom steel road frame, I would be looking at Land Shark or Yamaguchi, or Kvale for something classic. $3k on tig welds doesn't fly with me.

Ive been thinking of making the switch to a Road Cycle too. Although riding a fixed gear is a ton of fun and a challenge, at the end of the day you just get more performance out of a Road Bike

and then once you get a road bike, you'll see that you want to go off road.. so then youll get a cyclocross to do both. and then all of a sudden youll realize how cool mountain biking is and youll get a vintage no suspension mountain bike.

why is superfuture so 2000late on bikes?

i still riding my sweet fixie.

and then once you get a road bike, you'll see that you want to go off road.. so then youll get a cyclocross to do both. and then all of a sudden youll realize how cool mountain biking is and youll get a vintage no suspension mountain bike.

never wanted to do anything else other than road cycling.

Very California bias.

Can't get to trails that easy everywhere, bud. Or for that matter, trails that are any good.

Cross is awesome but you'll never get me off a 700c wheel. Especially if anyone calls it a "niner."