Bicyclettes

canice

Some people move on and follow trends, some stay true to the sport. Dont get me wrong, I think cx is awesome and looks tons of fun, but doesn't excite me as much as keirin. I suppose if I had the funds I would pick up a cx bike as well.

My problem with Keirin is that there is no structure/support locally for any of that stuff. cx is common enough that most major metropolitan areas (USian) have leagues/teams that are actively competing. Thus, it's easy enough to pick up a beater and start playing in Cat4 races on weekends w/o too much hassle. Plus cx bikes are awesome in that I can ride on street and then just go off road when needed.

There's barely any structure for regular track racing (eg non-njs required stuff) in the USA, let alone a sport made for gambling in Japan. Granted it did have a bit of a revival a few years ago (Hey, maybe we should try riding our track bikes on the track), but most all of the people I knew who used to race track either went to road + cross, or went to mountain biking, because unless you have a track within reasonable distance, it doesn't make any sense to have a big fancy track bike that collects dust or you chew up on the street.

it doesn't make any sense to have a big fancy track bike that collects dust or you chew up on the street.

I get plenty of use out of mine personally, but I agree that owning a nice bike just to own a nice bike is a bit silly. Collecting in the sense of owning a rare or once raced professionally bike and hanging it on your wall isn't such a bad idea if you have absurd money to throw around. Makes a great conversation piece I suppose. At least NJS bikes survive the streets better than their expensive, high end aluminum and carbon track specific counterparts that we all have known kids to break or get stolen through city use. I treat mine well, while riding almost everyday when its feasible (I live in utah so a few months the weather is just too horrible) and to this day my bike has very few signs of wear. I think a lot of it just comes down to treating your bike with respect.

There's barely any structure for regular track racing (eg non-njs required stuff) in the USA, let alone a sport made for gambling in Japan. Granted it did have a bit of a revival a few years ago (Hey, maybe we should try riding our track bikes on the track), but most all of the people I knew who used to race track either went to road + cross, or went to mountain biking, because unless you have a track within reasonable distance, it doesn't make any sense to have a big fancy track bike that collects dust or you chew up on the street.

The cities I've lived in, in N. America (San Diego, LA, Chicago) have always had velodromes near my place (<30 min drive), so I never had a problem hanging out/riding track. But I agree that unless you live near a velodrome then it's not a viable option for many people.

Edited by Just Another XY

Commuters- what bags are you guys using? I need something I can bike to class with that will hold my camera stuff, a few textbooks, and a laptop.

I've been looking at Timbuk 2 for a while and a local shop is having a sale on them.  I might end up buying either the custom or d-lux messenger. Any feedback on either?

Also been tempted to save up for Mission Workshop rambler.  I definitely like the aesthetics of the rambler more than a Timbuk 2 messenger, but the price-point is higher and I'm not sure how well it would keep school and camera stuff organized.  Should I go ahead and grab a Timbuk2 or hold off for the Rambler?

More suggestions are always welcome. 

@ShakeEmUp, I would save up for a Rambler! I have R6 Arkive and couldn't be more happy! I use it every day. I always have a camera, a mac, a hard drive, note book and other stuff in the bag. Works like a charm! Build quality is top notch!

Commuters- what bags are you guys using? I need something I can bike to class with that will hold my camera stuff, a few textbooks, and a laptop.

I've been looking at Timbuk 2 for a while and a local shop is having a sale on them.  I might end up buying either the custom or d-lux messenger. Any feedback on either?

Also been tempted to save up for Mission Workshop rambler.  I definitely like the aesthetics of the rambler more than a Timbuk 2 messenger, but the price-point is higher and I'm not sure how well it would keep school and camera stuff organized.  Should I go ahead and grab a Timbuk2 or hold off for the Rambler?

More suggestions are always welcome. 

I've used three main bags over the past few years. Not quite in the same field as either a Timbuk2 or Mission Workshop bag, but these worked pretty well for me. Also, if you are into modular there was this kickstarter not too long ago. Not sure what the quality or when the bags will release, but they look pretty interesting.

Anyways, the bags I have used --

• A Topo Designs sling bag. Pretty perfect for riding, but it gets kind of awkward having a sling on if you park somewhere and walk around for a bit. I took it with me traveling last year and decided it was time to retire it after about two or three years of good use.

Wqpe53Y.jpg

• Another Topo Designs bag - the ballistic day pack. I like this one all around a lot better than the sling bag, and it of course is built with more durable materials, and it's a bit bigger. I just really hate the way slings and messenger bags sit across my back for the most part while walking around, so this backpack has worked pretty damn well.

5nGkcMo.jpg

• This Supreme x TNF 3M fanny pack. I use the fact that it's 3M and reflective to justify it, but it's pretty perfect for small loads. Seems just the right size to carry a phone charger, keys, and a book (or small camera). Good thing to have for light loads, plus the 3M makes me feel better about riding at night wearing all black. (there is also a daypack version)

WOoyTGe.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone. Littlemike I really like the look of the city slacker bag.  Will have to look into that. 

Marw- do you think the Arkive would fit an slr, laptop, and a few textbooks?  The main reason I'm leaning towards going for the Timbuk2 is that I haven't seen any of Mission Workshop's stuff in person and don't know how well they would keep everything organized and the weight equally distributed. 

This has been collecting dust at my parents house for a couple years.. I got it for free from my uncle who "never really rode it"

13905284356_d774ceac98_b.jpg

1981-82 Trek 950.

All US Columbus tubes

Cinelli bars/stem/bb shell 

Suntour Superbe Grouppo

Campy brakes and hubs

Fiamme Red Label aluminum 700tubular

Slowly going to restore this.

Edited by rockon99

and my fixed gear

13905680106_50946d3da4_b.jpg

pretty cheap build, will be upgrading things over time. i need a new wheelset, thats for sure, that rear wheel has seen a ton of miles, and the hub rattles when you bounce it on the ground (lol).. Front wheel is from my roadbike that's temporarily out of commission. I've never ridden track drops before, and thought it'd be time to try it out, as i got a great deal on these... in fact, i was wrong. holding anywhere but the drops is pretty uncomfortable. i bought some used FSA alu road bars to replace..

I would take a look at road runner bags out of LA. all handmade. i've got one of their saddle bags and the quality is on point. going to get one of their roll tops when I move this summer and have to commute ~10miles each way. 

a friend of a friend makes those – single dude workshop, stands behind all his bags 110% and is really obsessive about quality, seen them in person; basically made by roadies for roadies.

Anyone had any experience with Trash Bags? I am looking for a bigger bag, thinking big, really big, so I'll never worry about having too little space. Here's there website, Midwest. http://trashmessengerbags.com

plus they come in RealTree :3

I'm also considering Freight Baggage, but I've looked at those in person already.

Have you owned a really big bag before? It kinda sucks. I was in that mindset like back in 2007 or so when I got my massive custom REload bag, and what ended up happening was that I didn't carry that much, the bag itself was heavy (often almost as heavy as the big ole Krypto-NYC lock), it made me sweaty, and when I did carry a ton of stuff, it put a ton of stress on my saddle, and wasn't really that comfortable. I use it for mostly bike race gear at this point.I now just wear my far smaller backpack all the time, and then stuff it to the gills if I'm going somewhere for the weekend.

As far as trash themselves, I haven't ever really heard of them, but they look about as good as the rest of the selection of small run bags like REload/Zo/Under The Weather/Seagull/etc etc etc. If you really want bike messenger steez (in the 2014, no less) get a PAC bag.

Edited by exhaust fumes

The "too big" idea is kinda what i was thinking would be the downfall, like, it really would be too big for every-day use: too sweaty, heavy, where do you put it when it's not on your back, etc. PAC bags have also been on my list of things to drool over.. plus they've been around for ever. BUT DAMMIT THOSE TRASH BAGS COME IN REALTREE... lol

I've got a Chrome Citizen right now, and that does the job, but i feel like if i want to carry more than a jacket, tools and a few other things, the bag is simply too full. And it'd be great to have more pockets and straps on the outside.

I'm about to get a job where I won't need my car at all and I'm looking to replace many of the things I can do with a car, with a capable bike/bag... thing.. without installing racks or panniers. I've also thought about getting a Cetma rack, or just a Wald basket, partly for novelty, and mostly for functionality. 

Edited by rockon99

Like race tires or like training?

Training I just throw on whatever I have. Gatorskins, Ultras, whatever I can get my hands on mostly. If you don't care about weight, get Gatorskins (which are old school commuter/skid machine tank treads), if you want a nice tire for riding and feeling fast, save your cash up for some 4000s. Ultras are okay for mixed use cheap stuff, but I'm not 100% impressed that much.

Race day is usually Challenge Criteriums (Tubular), or Pro4s for clincher.

Edited by exhaust fumes

Also have this Skylmt Sl-1 that I scored for incredibly cheap due to the decline of fgfs. Makes a really good, and fun beater / grocery getter. Never feel nervous about leaving this locked up for hours on end. I honestly ride this more than any of my other bikes as I use it for almost all sub 10 miles destinations.  Plus its fun to get places on as its bombproof yet decently light for its size so I can whip it around and get a little freestyle in if I feel like it. Theres some decent trails around my house too so I through tires with more tread on it. 

skylmt-sl-1-17334_4.jpg

Edited by Littlest Senpai

Have you owned a really big bag before? It kinda sucks. I was in that mindset like back in 2007 or so when I got my massive custom REload bag, and what ended up happening was that I didn't carry that much, the bag itself was heavy (often almost as heavy as the big ole Krypto-NYC lock), it made me sweaty, and when I did carry a ton of stuff, it put a ton of stress on my saddle, and wasn't really that comfortable. I use it for mostly bike race gear at this point.I now just wear my far smaller backpack all the time, and then stuff it to the gills if I'm going somewhere for the weekend.

As far as trash themselves, I haven't ever really heard of them, but they look about as good as the rest of the selection of small run bags like REload/Zo/Under The Weather/Seagull/etc etc etc. If you really want bike messenger steez (in the 2014, no less) get a PAC bag.

wut happened to the säg kids? or whatever the fuck that korean company was called

Also have this Skylmt Sl-1 that I scored for incredibly cheap due to the decline of fgfs. Makes a really good, and fun beater / grocery getter. Never feel nervous about leaving this locked up for hours on end. I honestly ride this more than any of my other bikes as I use it for almost all sub 10 miles destinations.  Plus its fun to get places on as its bombproof yet decently light for its size so I can whip it around and get a little freestyle in if I feel like it. Theres some decent trails around my house too so I through tires with more tread on it. 

anywhere close to 10 miles with that gearing would drive me crazy

wut happened to the säg kids? or whatever the fuck that korean company was called

SÄG is still around in Japan as seen here: https://www.saglifetokyo.com/catalog/2014ss/ but people stopped importing them because the whole fixie scene died a few years back, and companies like Chari & Co are barely hanging on and have swapped to other kinds of bikes.

I still use an old Megatron I got maybe 4 or so years ago, but it's kind of falling apart at this point.

Like race tires or like training?

Training I just throw on whatever I have. Gatorskins, Ultras, whatever I can get my hands on mostly. If you don't care about weight, get Gatorskins (which are old school commuter/skid machine tank treads), if you want a nice tire for riding and feeling fast, save your cash up for some 4000s. Ultras are okay for mixed use cheap stuff, but I'm not 100% impressed that much.

Race day is usually Challenge Criteriums (Tubular), or Pro4s for clincher.

meh gatorskins kind of suck. expensive for shitty training tires and imo not any more resilient to flats than other tires. i train on vittoria zaffiro pros. they're like $20 and have lasted me forever. 

i race on vittoria evo corsas. best tires out there. paired with latex tubes and some 23mm wide rims and they ride as nice as any tubbie. 

4000S is easily the best buy for a training tire. If you have a bit more cash to spend and don't mind buying tires more often I would def go for Veloflex Corsa/Master! The best clincher tires you can get in my opinion!

• 2 weeks later...

D43A34A4-42BA-4731-8461-B676262E89B5_zps

so in love with this baby. SRAM family, Ritchey cockpit components, Easton seat post, Brooks Cambium S, Chris King hubs, DT Swiss wheels. easily my favorite bike for the rest of my life.