Bicyclettes

canice

I want a single speed/beater that I can ride to and from work. It's really not necessary for me to rock the specialized tricross for 20 blocks back and forth, and washington heights is not the best place to leave a bike like that locked up outdoors...

Well, I would go with the one that works with your sit bones best and then figure out the rest. No point in a super light ultra durable saddle if it's uncomfortable.

The Turbo is almost universally loved and normally comfortable for most folks. +1 if it's leather and not the recent repro, although those are good too. I'm a huge Brooks fan so I'd prob go with the Brooks knowing it fits my bones well, but if weight is a big factor for you then Brooks isn't the way to go. Even the Ti railed versions are still heavy. It'll last you a lifetime though.

I think all 3 suits my bones. I just need a slimmer saddle than the B17 and I'm good. I was looking at the steel rail Brooks Swallow. Guess that makes it double as heavy huh.

The turbo I was looking at is the repro version not the original.

Any other nice leather saddles you'd recommend? I'm looking at leather since any other fabric seems to get torn up when I cycle in jeans.

Going for a townie/cruiser style conversion since im using my bike a lot more this summer. Might get rid of the toe straps too.

Those are temporary grips, I might get some brown ones and get a brown saddle.

The bike is 10 times more comfortable compared too when I had nitto race bars.

img1595h.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• 3 weeks later...

Slapped a barricade somewhere between 26 and 28mph a couple weeks ago. Leg and cranks took the brunt of the impact. Result? First front flip and a bent SRM. SRM was kind enough to send me a new one, wireless, with black and red decals, in trade for my bent one since they had "never seen that before". Only the red isn't too red. Homage to the Giro? Sure, why not.

598366_10102065565681690_452975499_n.jpg

Random parts bin bike. Fear the pink derailleur!

7314305842_5d1eb6eba2_z.jpg

IMAG0390 by orrery84, on Flickr

I love builds like this. Always wanted to build up something random, but never have enough useful parts.

The best I built up was a low-geared fixed for the snow with platform pedals and studded tires. salad green frame and pink mtb fork. Good times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can get this very cheap:

6458357228.jpg

Kona Hei Hei titanium frame, carbon fork, all super high end parts. Yes or no? I'll probably convert it to a single speed, and only use it for commuting. It's either this (300 euro) or a new Bianchi Sei Gironi (1000 euro), though they are completely different bikes. I'm figuring that if i don't like this for commuting, i'll just get a new fork and tires and use it as an XC bike.

• 2 weeks later...

had my local bike shop refurb my 25+ year old 21-speed racing bike that was sitting in a garage for over 15 years untouched.

- stripped down to a single gear with rear brake (not a fixee fan)

- new handle bars

- new caged pedals

- new tires

2hg94lz.jpg

then i painted it silver.

17sb9z.jpg

fucking love it - so much fun to ride.

did 22 miles on the inaugural ride.