Bicyclettes

canice

chari is like a tiny ass fixie boutique if you're into that kinda stuff, i like nycvelo as an overall bike shop. they know their stuff in all categories

also, thinking bout selling my sweet fixie to get a tricross comp, it'll be my only bike along with my mtn bike. i heard there was a recall on the forks though, is that something i should worry about? also, any other bikes i should look into for commuting n occasional touring?

Edited by baldy

Anyone in nyc know any good bike shops i can check out?

bicycle habitat and sid's are good

kinda overpriced for their stuff, but their employees are friendly and have all the gear you ever need to check out

@dovo Been restoring old and discarded bikes for a while now. Selling some, keeping some, giving some away as presents. People love them! But I do it for fun and it's nice to have a hobby that you can get your hands and mind working.

Here's the latest addition. This was discarded and I built it up with other parts that were discarded by a shop that throws out way too much stuff! But I don't care cuz sometimes I find some gems and keep for myself :)

Been loving the ride on this, gonna use it as my urban transport that I won't be too worried about locking up on pub rides.

IMG_3374.jpg

@lestat, The chain does have a little slack, but does not slip due to the large teeth on the rear cog, it's SS specific. I've taken it up 45 degree slopes and absolutely no slipage. Lots of hills here in the Pacific Northwest. Love it! It's a 36/16 combo. I could have gone with a 36/28, but that makes me spin too much. But like I said, this is for casual riding to the pub, no races or speed here.

I used the chart listed HERE to get close to the Magic Gear. If all else fails I can throw a tensioner or a Ghost Ring in there. But no problems so far :)

dont like bicycle habitat... Customer service varies... from alright service to downright horribad...

i've never had too big a problem with their service. but i don't go there too often. only when i need a quick checkup

--

I posted this in cycling forums, but haven't gotten a response yet. if any of you wear shoes, please help

I'm looking to invest in cycling shoes but don't want spend a whole lot of money. A friend recommended either Specialized or Sidi shoes. After browsing nashbar.com I came across these two that I liked (mostly on price).

I'm leaning toward the indoor cycling shoes because they're cheaper, but I'm not sure what does it mean that it's in "indoor" shoe?

Would it just be worth it to purchase the Zephyr Carbons?

Also if there are better alternatives, please, do share!

Thanks in advance

also, thinking bout selling my sweet fixie to get a tricross comp, it'll be my only bike along with my mtn bike. i heard there was a recall on the forks though, is that something i should worry about? also, any other bikes i should look into for commuting n occasional touring?

The fork recall only effects specific models: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/02/bikes-and-tech/tricross-fork-recall_205187

I have a tricross and highly recommend them. What size do you need? I have a 2006 tricross comp frame in 56cm. :)

I think the tarmac is specialized's most popular road model... My only problem with it is that weird-shaped top tube, but maybe that's just me. :)

First thing to do: remove bottle cages!

I found it weird at first but now i like it! Can't wait til the weather gets better, so I can put some miles on it!

Why would I remove the bottle holders? Is it a joke I'm not in on? Got some new ones coming my way though, just put the Specialized Carbon ones on for the picture!

I'm commuting to school on bike starting in a few weeks. Should I convert my singlespeed Gunnar Ruffian into a commuter (since I hardly ever go on trails anyway) for like $50 for a bigger chainring/fenders (I already have slicks) or just get an old road beater on Craigslist for around $200?

That would be pretty cool.

Here's another possibility. For commuting I wouldn't go for a road bike; I would get a late 80's/early 90's hybrid. Miyata Triplecross, Trek 720/750, etc. etc. Plenty of room for fenders/ big tires/ racks/ etc. These things go hella cheap on CL, especially compared to comparable road bikes.

Also they are easy to convert to drop bars/ moustaches so they don't look super dorky.

Here's mine

6886549383_a050635d23_z.jpg

Untitled by orrery84, on Flickr

Edited by Orrery

Alright guys. I'm trying to class up my ride. Right now I've got a Surly Steamroller with HED Belgiums laced to Phil Woods, Brooks saddle, and Chris King headset. I'm running a SRAM crank, but recently stripped the driveside crank arm so that will have to go anyway. What can you guys recommend? I'm thinking I'll need a new frame with horizontal dropouts, new bars, and new cranks? Any specific recommendations would be appreciated.

DSC_6383.jpg

depends on the base.

If your parts besides the frame are ok, than change the frame and go with your old stuff. If you have to change everything, than start with the neccessary stuff and work around the bike.

But if you start with the frame, give him / her a new bottom bracket. It's the one thing which requires special tools to replace (means most times you have to go back to your local dealer = costs & time)

Edited by frankie_four