Bicyclettes

canice

been riding 150 miles a week to work and stuff.. in that time my rear wheel has taken a few hits leaving it a little wobbly with some loose/slight beng spokes. should i:

a) buy a spoke tightener and straighten it out

B) give up and get a new rim

c) none of the above

well if the rim doesn't have a hop in it, just have it rebuilt. If you just tighten the spokes it'll work briefly but you'll end up worse in the end, likely screwing up the rim more. If the rim does have a hop, save the hub and have it re-laced to an open pro. It should be about $50 at any shop. Basically 1 or 2 broken spokes without relacing is fine, more is trouble.

Are you racing? Are you a big guy? the appeal of the dura ace cranks in my mind is the stiffness, but if you want that, you could even just buy omniums and upgrade the bearings. the appeal of campy in my mind is the fact that they'll last forever. shimano cranks be heavier and need more servicing and it'll be harder to do that because, if I'm not mistaken, they are the only shimano cranks that do not use hollowtech bb's. so you're stuck buying that shimano one any time you wear it out. Campy isn't about to change their design because those cranks have been pretty much the same forever. and Campy is sexy.

My "new" commuter

IMG_0435.jpg

I've had this frame since I was track racing as a junior. Some custom double butted steel iirc, I don't remember who made it cause i've had it forever, but it ain't too bad a frame. Took it out of storage about a year and set it up for ss cross and ended up crashing and taco'ing the wheels, so now it's just a commuter with almost all take off parts. notice the front profile racing hub that I had them anodize pink for me, and the old ultegra cranks. running a 52-16 on streets which is usually fine, but am adding a front brake due to a few idiots who do not look when they drive. recently got new koki panniers, which are awesome on her. It's a little small cause I'm 5'11 and it's about a 54cm but I don't really mind it on my 2 mile commute

Yes, I did have it drilled for the rack, surprisingly easy. I know the gearing is hard, but I'm usually fine with it on the street, I just race everywhere I go and unfortunately have had some close calls, actually got hit by a car last march (his fault though). that's why I re-wrapped the horns with a brake and liner, I just don't have an extra front right now.

Your bike is really weird.

@Stayhandsome, you can correct your wheel just fine. If your spokes have kinks, fix em w/ smooth jaw pliers and true your wheel as needed from there. Spokes fatigue and wear quite long, so doing this is normal. The tension may be quite low overall, so add a quarter turn to every spoke when the wheel is true.

For cranks, both the Campag Record and DA kit will outlast one's fascination for fixed gear bikes, by usual measure. A properly installed Shimano UN52 BB lasts 25-30K without issue. Special Campag tools are quite a detractor in the US where less common. I have found SRAM chainsets disappointing.

For the record, I have NEVER seen any bike messenger ride that way in NYC and I ride my bike everywhere when the weather is nice (no subway unless I have to...)

a few upgrades:

6171899525_6813250575_b.jpg

new saddle, sweet new richie comp 4-axis 130MM stem, and a new 105 51/34 crankset. edit: would it just be over the top to get red tires? :-D

For the record, I have NEVER seen any bike messenger ride that way in NYC and I ride my bike everywhere when the weather is nice (no subway unless I have to...)

i guess you haven't seen austin riding around. He's doubled for the film and is riding in most of those shots. Maniac!

Are you racing? Are you a big guy? the appeal of the dura ace cranks in my mind is the stiffness, but if you want that, you could even just buy omniums and upgrade the bearings. the appeal of campy in my mind is the fact that they'll last forever. shimano cranks be heavier and need more servicing and it'll be harder to do that because, if I'm not mistaken, they are the only shimano cranks that do not use hollowtech bb's. so you're stuck buying that shimano one any time you wear it out. Campy isn't about to change their design because those cranks have been pretty much the same forever. and Campy is sexy.

what?

10char

i guess you haven't seen austin riding around. He's doubled for the film and is riding in most of those shots. Maniac!

riding against traffic on broadway between the median and the left hand lane? Nobody does that, let alone on a fixie. Plenty of the shit they show in that preview are stunts that nobody does because they are literally suicidal.

the bike messengers in NYC by and large ride pretty conservatively compared to even other fixie riders. At least from what I've seen...