Bicyclettes

canice

It's just a long-cage derailleur. Short cages only handle up to a 27t cassette. Given he has no granny, he could definitely get away with a mid-cage and spare a bit of chainslap, but I doubt he's that picky.

I'd prefer one of the other three chain catchers though, the Paul has had unfavorable use, as it doesn't mount far enough rear of the bike and is nary impossible to get the chain back on should one inevitably derail.

That's for cross use though, so that's probably a non-issue for this bike.

Hey repeater - I took your advice (several of them!) and picked up a new compact shimano 105 crankset. That FSA one was creaking more and more despite my taking everything out of the BB shell and cleaning and oiling it and re-tightening the cranks. I think the crank arms just can't take the torque I've been putting on them. The front chainring is 53/34 so I'll need to move my derailleur up but it will be nice to be able to go a bit faster.

I also just ordered a 120mm stem to replace the 100mm one that's on there, another one of your suggestions. :)

Hey fellas, I don't know anything about bicycling but I've been meaning to get into it for a while. What I'd like to know is what type of bike would be best for a beginner? My budget is up to $250 and would be mostly riding up/down hilly suburbs.

Thanks.

That is one huge rear derailleur. What component group do you have?

It's just an old deore, I had a triple on there until earlier this week, but it works fine still, like repeater said I'm just not picky enough to swap it out, but it is longer than is strictly necessary for that setup.

BLM, just trying to help make some people happy on bikes! Having worked in my comm and mentored, just spreading it around.

I would absolutely recommend a dog fang/3rd eye/whatever as the 19t chainring spread exceeds mfr shifting combination tolerances and you risk drops a LOT w/o one. It would behoove you to use a compatible 50t ring also.

Everyone seems to be blowing those out but in the smaller sizes. I think city grounds has a few left also, for you midgets out there.

hi guys

long time member, first time poster

i've taken a few fixed gear bikes out for a rip and they're kindof...more fun than i ever really would've anticipated. so anyway, buying one soon. how's everyone feeling about this

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/2457113607.html

repaint and kit with a front break so as to not kill myself

only about 6'1" :confused: way huge?

i've always been told i should be on something in the neighbourhood of a 23" frame

obviously need to take it for a spin before commitment but ... sounded about right

i'm the same height as you and i ride most comfortably on a 58cm frame. but ymmv as your legs might be short/longer

hi guys

long time member, first time poster

i've taken a few fixed gear bikes out for a rip and they're kindof...more fun than i ever really would've anticipated. so anyway, buying one soon. how's everyone feeling about this

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/2457113607.html

repaint and kit with a front break so as to not kill myself

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_510763_-1_202311_10000_202113

If Toronto's CL (for bikes) is anything like Montreal's, you might have a hard time finding a good deal. People put shitty old rusted peugeots conversions with rotten tires for $150+. Sometimes you'll still find well priced 80s-90s Marinonis though, you might try keeping an eye on those..

but if you're ready to to spend upward of $450, you might also want to check out a couple LBS, they generally have some completes like steamroller for fairly cheap if they haven't sold out on last year's models. I think it was a place named bike on wheels which I stopped at and had good, entry-level stuff

sufu cyclists, I come to you for some advice.

I am looking at purchasing a new touring/rando/commuter bike. I am currently using a IRO Mark V, but want something that is more practical for a car-less lifestyle. My budget is in the $3-3.5k range. I am seriously considering a Geekhouse Woodville, but wasn't sure if there were other frame builders I should look at.

I want a bike that can do 100+ mile rides with overnight gear, etc, but still be zippy enough for daily commuting and runs to the grocery store. Any thoughts, experiences, suggestions and advice welcome.

i would advise a more experienced, road-specific builder. The intricacies of bike handling and construction are very finite, and defined with engineering skill and experience. There are many builders that have 20+ years experience and can give you a better fit.

My advice would be to talk to a lot, not rush it, and decide what's best. Touring bikes lost a lot of popularity, but are coming back. They used to be as expensive as race bikes, which is what you are setting your sights on--top quality--but know that you will need to look around a bit.

Just make sure that you are asking for a light-touring bike, a bike more suited for a rando or credit-card than cross-country-self-support. You'll get a much better ride!

I'd look first at Waterford/Gunnar, and go from there. Also, definitely go for long-reach caliper brakes over cantilevers, you'll get a lot better braking performance.

When I was looking at getting a frame built, I was going to go with Curtlo. I've since phased that out... Maybe someday!