Bicyclettes

canice

Looking to get me and my girlfriend our first bikes (well since we were kids, pretty much) and I'm wondering if it would be better to buy premade or build my own? She is pretty short so a custom may benefit her.

I know close to nothing about bikes and have never built one, so I wouldn't know where to start. Would love something lightweight, will be used on the road to travel to class almost daily. Would appreciate some advice!

i know i'm going to get shit on for this, but 9.5 times out of 10 you're better to buy stock rather than building from the ground up. unless you've got a line on inexpensive parts, the cost of getting a full setup is usually WAY less than the sum of all of their parts together.

Bork - I agree with you, but not for the primary reason. Building a bike from parts is WAY more effort than anyone who's not used to working on bikes is willing to put in. I've seen people get an OTP bike mailorder and take a year to get it out of the box even though it's 90% assembled already...

But you make a good point about economies of scale. Buying one wheelset as an end consumer gives you less bargaining power than when you buy 200/year...

And to be honest, you'll have a dizzying enough array of options on whole bikes alone anyways.

Apparently Ive never learned how seatpost collars are measured. I think I need a 30.

Ymmv? Wow! What time of year was this?

are you sure it's a 30? that's an odd size for a seat post. 31.6 maybe?

Power meter or new race wheels....question of the day.

Depends if you're coached or have HRM centered options or not; and how often you're doing set-work group riding.

How is it I was scolded for not wearing a helmet while cruising through an organized group ride of rec riders to check in on a friend new to road riding if a third of them are riding tri bars in a group like it's no big deal? Fucking ridiculous.

Glad to FINALLY be getting long overdue kit from Panache; hope it was worth it....

I knocked into the hudson river a besuited dude's cell phone when he was loitering in the middle of the west side bike path on the day of the 5-B bike tour gabbing away to someone. Not entirely unintentionally.

That is all.

i know i'm going to get shit on for this, but 9.5 times out of 10 you're better to buy stock rather than building from the ground up. unless you've got a line on inexpensive parts, the cost of getting a full setup is usually WAY less than the sum of all of their parts together.

I see, even if she is around 5'1"? I guess they would make a bike for all heights, right? I guess pre-built it is then. Any recommendations?

2000db I love that you are still active here.

Hollowsleather - info on your components? Is that a road frame or a track frame? I like that you have mountain treads/wheels but road bars and brake housings. Caliper brake? You only have a front brake but two brake levers? So curious....

I built the frame.

It's set up for singletrack and fire roads, but I ride in the city, too. Paul canti on the front, two levers because I like the hoods position, but it's usually set up fixed, so the rear isn't necessary.

The wheels are Phil hubs to Mavic a719s. Because of the size of the headtube people often mistakenly think those are 26" wheels. Nope.

The bars are designed for offroad riding. Read Matt Chester's article on 63xc for more on that.

At this size, I think a headtube extension would have made it look better, but if you love it you love it.

I am hating SRAM so effing much. I broke my Red FRONT derailler on a road ride Sunday and the whole chain wrapped around my crank, destroying my lovely carbone. I bought a Force derailleur to replace it, and had to machine a full cm out of the mount to fit it. Bored out rear mech so it'll actually shift, flushed shifters.

GOD. SRAM, weight weenie's dream, mechanic's nightmare. Don't get hyped if you actually ride your bike.

I race. I'm a mechanic. I ride SRAM.

?

How did your FD break? Where? Pictures?

Had to machine the Force FD?

Bored out RD?

Have you not worked with Shimano lately? or Campy anything 11sp? BMC mechanics can't even get Campy 11 to work worth a damn.

anyone have issues with tube blowouts when running extremely skinny tires? it's happened to me twice now, the second time resulted in a pretty bad accident,...with 120psi letting loose at once it really fucks with your ability to safely come to a stop

anyone have issues with tube blowouts when running extremely skinny tires? it's happened to me twice now, the second time resulted in a pretty bad accident,...with 120psi letting loose at once it really fucks with your ability to safely come to a stop

120 psi????!

Does it say the max pressure on your tire?

Royale, if you're a light rider, you should be riding more like 90-95psi. The rear tire carries a little over 60% body weight. For a 23mm tire, tire pressure should be equal to wheel load for minimum rolling resistance and comfort. It's called tire drop. I weigh around 177 or so, so my rear carries just over 100psi. Most tire beads won't stay on over 115psi anyway, so at that point, if weight mandates it, the rider should go to a bigger tire.

The flexy ass Red mech broke the screw head off the screw that secures the sides together via plastic clip. I don't even know how that is possible. The damn mech is so worn, I have no idea how heavier mileage racers get through a season on these. I'd MUCH rather work on Shimano, it is completely transparent to work on. And Campag makes no sense to a North American rider if you ask me, SO EXPENSIVE!

sorry to clarify they're probably not at 120psi i believe that's max pressure, i'm reading of some tires able to handle 180-200psi? crazy. anyway they're 700x23c Specialized Mondos, basically bald from the get go, i would definitely like to upgrade to something thicker if possible with a little more tread too. they don't fair too well when it comes to city riding and road debris. spl_mondosprt_09_m.jpg

^ how is your tubes blowing out? i'm 190 riding @ 120ish psi with no problems...

if you're worried about debris... get some gatorskins

i've had two blowouts in the last three months due to debris...most likely glass shards, i try to avoid it at all costs but sometimes i have to stay off to the side away from cars where all that shit lays, i actually have one armadillo on the front now, going to replace the back with one ASAP, the Mondos aren't cutting it, and yeah i have rim strips/tape

not fond of armadillos, the ride feels a bit sluggish... though if you're encountering lots of glass... that's probably the best choice of tire...

not fond of armadillos, the ride feels a bit sluggish... though if you're encountering lots of glass... that's probably the best choice of tire...

Seconding this, but I live in the ghetto so they are necessary.

Without rim tape, tube w explode before you can pump it to 120. I guess this has moved from the matter of tubes going out at high pressure to glass everywhere. I've used gatorskins which still had a nice rolling res never tried armadillo tho ppl such as Repeaters suggest they sux