Bicyclettes

canice

got hit by a motorist turning into a driveway to the library while I was cruising. Nailed my left side, sent me over the hood, and flew approx. 10 feet. landed on my right side. no brain or back injuries but my left leg from the knee down is on fire and my right shoulder is sore. All in all I was really fucking lucky. Full moon and a well lit street (under 2 street lights where I was hit) and he didn't see me. not sure about my bike, it wasn't pedaling right. really can't wait to see what I feel like tomorrow...

this is the second time I have been hit in 2 months. Am I doing something wrong? Both times I was hooked as I was following all the laws and not going particularly fast. Lack of a front light could be an issue, but when you are in super well lit places, I feel like even that assumption becomes questionable. Part of it is the city I live in is notorious for bad drivers of all kinds. and not being particularly skilled in riding with bikers, it seems less surprising. either way a helmet might be necessary.

did you get insurance or contact information from the driver? And yes, if you've been hit twice in 2 months you should be wearing a helmet. Hell, you should be wearing body armor with a bad luck streak like that.

I'm assuming you didn't collect any info from the driver from your post (mentioning that you're in pain but will see how things are in the morning/ are not in a hospital) so my advice is: 1. get a light 2. if you're ever in a collision of some sort with an automobile in the future, get their insurance info, driver's license, and call the cops. If they don't want to stop, grab their license and call the cops. If you're riding on the road, you have all the rights of a motorized vehicle, and if someone is breaking laws and colliding with you, they should be responsible for damages to your body and your bicycle.

I've never been hit by a car in the 5 years I've been riding (knock on wood) but the one wreck I've had where I hit my head was enough for me to start wearing a helmet for 90% of rides. I was just heading down the road to grab dinner, less than a few miles, and my pants leg got stuck in my drivetrain. My bike locked up and sent me flying; I landed on my shoulder then cracked my head on asphalt. I'm lucky I just walked away with a concussion and bruised ribs.

blm14, don't you have FSA Gossamer cranks?

Shit just got recalled!

Holy crap, thanks for the heads up! This is actually great news for me as it means I'm sure I can get a free replacement. :)

edited: Mine are MegaExo, which are not effected. Natch. Guess I'll still have to save up for shimanos. ;)

got hit by a motorist turning into a driveway to the library while I was cruising. Nailed my left side, sent me over the hood, and flew approx. 10 feet. landed on my right side. no brain or back injuries but my left leg from the knee down is on fire and my right shoulder is sore. All in all I was really fucking lucky. Full moon and a well lit street (under 2 street lights where I was hit) and he didn't see me. not sure about my bike, it wasn't pedaling right. really can't wait to see what I feel like tomorrow...

this is the second time I have been hit in 2 months. Am I doing something wrong? Both times I was hooked as I was following all the laws and not going particularly fast. Lack of a front light could be an issue, but when you are in super well lit places, I feel like even that assumption becomes questionable. Part of it is the city I live in is notorious for bad drivers of all kinds. and not being particularly skilled in riding with bikers, it seems less surprising. either way a helmet might be necessary.

damn that blows man. glad you're alright though

i fixed the problem with my straps..just tied knots on the ends lol :o

did you get insurance or contact information from the driver? And yes, if you've been hit twice in 2 months you should be wearing a helmet. Hell, you should be wearing body armor with a bad luck streak like that.

I'm assuming you didn't collect any info from the driver from your post (mentioning that you're in pain but will see how things are in the morning/ are not in a hospital) so my advice is: 1. get a light 2. if you're ever in a collision of some sort with an automobile in the future, get their insurance info, driver's license, and call the cops. If they don't want to stop, grab their license and call the cops. If you're riding on the road, you have all the rights of a motorized vehicle, and if someone is breaking laws and colliding with you, they should be responsible for damages to your body and your bicycle.

I've never been hit by a car in the 5 years I've been riding (knock on wood) but the one wreck I've had where I hit my head was enough for me to start wearing a helmet for 90% of rides. I was just heading down the road to grab dinner, less than a few miles, and my pants leg got stuck in my drivetrain. My bike locked up and sent me flying; I landed on my shoulder then cracked my head on asphalt. I'm lucky I just walked away with a concussion and bruised ribs.

I have the case number for the police report. Once its finished, I am going to file a claim. Need new glasses (they were thrown and broken), and something is fucked with the drivetrain. The police faulted him completely. Anyone have any helmet recommendations? Willing to spend around $150 for a well fitting, comfortable, and if possible, cool looking helmet. If it doesn't fit well, I won't use it. Thinking a Giro Atmos, but not sure.

this is the second time I have been hit in 2 months. Am I doing something wrong? Both times I was hooked as I was following all the laws and not going particularly fast. Lack of a front light could be an issue, but when you are in super well lit places, I feel like even that assumption becomes questionable.

in situations like that, you have to ride defensively and assume nobody is looking out for you (they aren't). but yes, a flashing front light would help and it's crazy you had to get hit twice to think about getting a helmet?!

I have the case number for the police report. Once its finished, I am going to file a claim. Need new glasses (they were thrown and broken), and something is fucked with the drivetrain. The police faulted him completely. Anyone have any helmet recommendations? Willing to spend around $150 for a well fitting, comfortable, and if possible, cool looking helmet. If it doesn't fit well, I won't use it. Thinking a Giro Atmos, but not sure.
Most people say go with Specialized/Giro if you have an oval shaped head or Bell if your head is rounder.

Personally, I just went to my LBS, tried on a few and ended up with a Specialized Propero. I also liked the fit of the Catlike Kompact, but didn't like the look of it on my head (and the extra $50)

So yeah, I'd say go try on a few, you'll be most satisfied that way

If any of you have a >$100 budget for a helmet and a normal-to-largeish head take a look at Lazer.

The O2 is about a buck, and has the only 360º harness retention system that adjusts with a cord/cable and is 100% flexible, so it doesn't matter what your head is shaped like. The sizing they use actually WORKS.

Limar is the most comfortable helmet I've ever used, but availability is spotty. Personally I think Giro helmets are the worst to wear, as their retention isn't up to par, but they ARE quite light and well ventilated.

$0.02.

tylor, I've got the same helmet (but women's version) and second the rec. Very comfortable and well ventilated for the price. I just went to the bike shop and tried on a few helmets from different brands in my price range, and picked the most comfortable and least dorky one I could find.

The seat height is bothering the fuck out of me. But I know some people prefer it that way...

edit: cool bike though, for sure.

VVVVV

thanks for all the help with the helmet stuff guys. Its hard to find good info on helmets.

seriously though, go try them on. head fit is something that is really obnoxious to get right and pissy when done wrong.

finally ordered a chrome bag and cell phone holster.. took advantage of the 20% off code they were having..

NO MORE BIKING WITH A BACKPACK THAT DIGS INTO MY NECK WOOOO!

could, shoulda, but not having a bag to put shit in while i ride makes me ride less, drive more, smoke more, and eat more. i feel like it was justified :)