Bicyclettes

canice

wheres cheapest,place for me to get all the components to build up a wheelset,I'm gonna get it put together in uk as my last set got damaged in tranit which was a total ball ache. I want to get deep v white rear with whitespokes nipples and hubs white tyre probably silver front rim spokes etc.
could try www.hubjub.co.uk they've been really helpful in the past in ordering njs bits and sourcing components.

other one to try in london is www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/ again very helpful and knowledgeable, they stock deep v's and pretty sure they can source the other bits your after.

If we're repping Brick Lane can I just point out that when I went in the last time they were their usual rude, unhelpful selves. I can respect the aggro if you're busy, but the shop was near empty and the fixie-chick 'serving' behind the counter appeared to be counting the change in the till.

Besides, if you want wheels building they outsource to Harry Rowlands anyway. Go direct: http://www.rstocker.freeserve.co.uk/harry.htm. He is extremely well-respected.

Otherwise if you're in London PM me and I'll build you whatever you want for the retail price of the components (plus spokes and nipples).

i need advice:

a while back i got a dura ace-mavic cxp 30 wheelset...all fine and dandy, i love it.

problem is, i just got a flat and I don't know what the fuck i'm doing with tubular rims. I know there's glue involved, and I know my tires aren't in the greatest shape as they were raced for 2 years before i got the set.

so, I ask: should I bring the set to the bike shop and pay for a couple new tires and get everything installed (Probably super expensive because i'm in Boston and the bike shops up here suck) or do i sell the wheelset on ebay and grab something not as good (or maybe as good, but sealed)...but clincher, so i can replace tubes when needed.

I'm thinking the second route myself, unless it's easy to replace tubulars.

oh, cool, thanks! i knew they were one piece, just didnt know how they went in. so if i were to replace it myself, i would clean the glue off once the tire's off then reglue and install the tire? i think i read somewhere that you apply glue, let it dry, then apply more? thats the confusing part to me.

Guest youkinorn

I picked up a Schwinn Madison yesterday. The reviews I read were pretty good (I was skeptical because it is...a schwinn), so tried it out and love it. I guess I don't have much to compare it to since I've never ridden a track style bike (or fixed/ss for that matter), but I'm enjoying it already. Picture for good measure:

2600_1_large.jpg

Tub gluing 101:

Inflate tire on a rim overnight. Scrape base tape w/ a dull object to rid it of manufacturing latex. Apply glue to tire and rim w/ chip brush, allow to dry. Wearing gloves, apply another thin coat of glue to rim, allow to "flash" for a minute or five, carefully mount tire straight.

If you are not using brakes, do not mess with any excess glue on the rims. If you do, CAREFULLY use a near-dry, acetone soaked rag to remove it. DON'T touch the tire w/ the acetone.

Myth would have it this is a multi-day process, but really all you need to do is pre-inflate the tire so that it can stretch so it will easily mount and not squirt all the glue out.

went hill bombing yesterday on the "steepest" street in sf. Filbert between Leavenworth and Hyde 31.5% grade. I dont kno but i think that there are steeper. we went all the way down it was fucking epic.

2520536090_f55e9a96df.jpg

we also did the other side of filbert which is the hill that colin does in macaframa.

2520540590_42760556ed.jpg

2519725497_cb63258351.jpg

2520544954_c9a969c828.jpg

belive me when i tell you bombing hills and taking pictures is one of the most retarded things you could do. expect to see a short film very soon. :) :) :)

Riding lately has been so much fun. A friend I met a few years back is one of the 'fast friday' kids and hangs out with them and a good portion of seattles 'scene', and I've been joining them riding around and shit lately.

Big difference from spending the last year riding 95% by myself. Makes riding so much more fun.

Speaking of bombing hills, 4 am on friday night after a few parties, we head from Capitol Hill to the U district. Cap hill is, as you could expect, a hill. And being no cars out at 4 am we fucking bombed the shit out of this moderately steep hill that takes us about a mile and a half to the bottom.

Part way there's one of those big 'show your speed' setup shits, which is of course incentive to just let loose.

So yeah, 4 am 40mph post-party hill bombing is the shit.

but hamburglar, the fact that you're taking decent photos on a bike on that steep of a hill blows my mind.

i didnt do it on the first step so theres no pictures of that but i did it on the next 2.

theres a hill like that here in berkeley. grizzle peak is basic training ride for roadies in the east bay its a brutal climb on a track bike. we climb then eat sandwiches and then we bomb its pretty steady but its windy and theres lots of blind turns its about a 5 or 6 mile descent. theres a one mile straight away that is the best ride in the east bay.

i went through a phase where i was all about flatland shit im more just about riding now. thats what track bikes are all about just riding fast.

Is that the dudes concept that got jacked and then recovered?

ya wtf do you kno him?

ya so what happend is he was fucking around with wheelies in traffic and tryed to turn and bailed while clipped in and fucked up his ankle so he went to the hospital and a friend but his bike in his car and someone broke in and took it. then like 3 days ago my homie gets a call from the police saying "come to the station we have your bike" the police raided some storage facility that had hella stolen goods one of which was his bike minus the front aerospoke.

the moral of the story is always file a police report and save the serial number on ur bike, nice parts, and wheels.