canice

if you want a solid/versatile commuter that you can beat up and down the street

raleigh one way

r07-oneway_black-f.jpg

wish they made'em the way they used to

raleigh-clubman.jpg

redline 925

redline925-425.jpg

jamis (great bang for buck. seriously one of the better off the peg "fixed gears" for the street)

sputnik.jpg

the steamroller is definitely a great way to go (although the color turns most people off). fitting fatties for knobbies makes biking in the snow/rain actually fun/do-able on the east coast. I kinda miss the ridiculousness of skidding on black ice. I don't miss having your snot freeze, misblown-snot-rockets, and nearly dying every other day.

but +1 on going steel. the frames will last you, ride well, and allow you to spend money on just upgrading to solid components and a really beefy bike lock.

knucks, that was the dumbest thing i've ever heard you say. fixed is so good for riding in the city, especially with the control you have at slower speeds in traffic.

i agree on not buying an aluminum, track-oriented frame for an everyday rider on the street. a beefier wheelset and a steel ride will take much more abuse.

since you're getting a gift, get yourself a nice roadie from that and buy yourself a mercier kilo or a cheaper commuter to dick around town on. it's cheap, easy to upgrade and work on, and a solid, great city bike that you can keep fixed or make a singlespeed that'd be safe to lock up around town. (edit -- and if you end up hating the bike, you can sell it for AT LEAST what you paid for it!)

btw, those obey x fujis are the worst buy. you can get so much more bike for that kind of money without it looking terrible with mismatched gold components.

No one has seemed to mention this yet, but the Lemond Fillmore is a great SS/fixie bike for a beginner. I would know this, since it was the first bike that I owned in about 10 years. Rode the SS side for about 3-4 months and once I felt comfortable, I went over to fixie and haven't looked back.

If you do look at a Fillmore, make sure it's 2005 or later (or is it 2006?). They started making a more affordable bike around that time and it's reflected in the quality. The frame that I have is a beast, as I beat the living shit out of it and it stands up to me pretty well. It retailed new for $1100, but I know for a fact that you can get them for a lot less than that brand new if you do some looking. I got mine new for $750 with a minor ding in the downtube. The components are pretty much all Bontrager Race Lite and the wheelsets are laced to Formula hubs.

That's my two cents and here's my bike:

IMAGE_014.jpg

the fillmore's nice, but for that much you can still build a better bike cheaper if you piece it together.

You know, I thought the same thing. Then I tried putting a bike with a frame and fork like this together and I would've been well over the $750 that I spent. So I went to this place called Revolution Cycle here in Madison and the guy said it would be damn near impossible to put a better bike together for the cost. Now, bear in mind that I didn't pay full price for this thing, so that's what I'm basing this off of.

Incidentally, I want Deep-V's. Does that make me a poser?

wheres cheapest,place for me to get all the components to build up a wheelset,I'm gonna get it put together in uk as my last set got damaged in tranit which was a total ball ache. I want to get deep v white rear with whitespokes nipples and hubs white tyre probably silver front rim spokes etc.

good, cheapish starter rollers around $300-350:

mercier kilo tt

windsor hour

a little nicer around $500-$600:

raleigh rush hour

bianchi pista

etc

look around on craigslist. there are TONS of bikes going up there every day. lots of good deals to be had in the boroughs. you just have to act fast on them, so keep your eyes peeled.

the best deals are on craigslist and through bikeforums or the regional forums.

craigslist is really good for finding completes or parts lots that you can often flip and end up with money AND free compnents taht you need.

craiglist for the uk is pretty poor.

yeah.. i was mainly suggesting it for new york as there's tons of stuff around here, in jersey and not too far upstate/out long island.

if you buy bianchi pistas off CL, be wary of the seller. if they're shady it might be stolen as those were probably one of the most stolen bikes of the past couple years.

(too much to bother quoting over the last few pages)

alright doods, no need to get excited over this.. like i said i never claimed to really know what i was talking about in regards to bikes, thats why im here asking questions. thanks though for all the feedback, ill look more into the steel frames/other suggestions from everyone and go form there i guess. and for the record, knucks, i already told everyone i wasnt planning on riding anything fiixed..

you'll be fine dino, we're all the same with researching the hell out of something before buying.

on another note, i just ordered my hubs for the new wheelset. I got a 32h set of the gran comp hubs, they look really nice and i wanted something sealed for everyday use...i don't want to ruin my dura ace wheels in the rain.

so my wheelset will be: gran comp hubs with woodgrain deep v in the back (BLING!) and mavic open pro up front for using a brake. should be nice and sturdy, roll smooth, and be decently easy to maintain/stay in true.

only thing i need to order is the front rim, i'm still not completely decided on the mavic so i'm waiting. I also need $$

this thread has gone full loop maybe 3 times in the last few pages.

Corter, you're going to love the gran compe hubs, they're fan-fucking-tastic. Also, to anyone who has it as an option, don't hesitate on picking up the gran compe wheels as well. They've taken a beating and are still going on strong. (not to mention that they now come in purple, gold, white, black, bronze-ish, and blue-ish -depending on where you buy from.

On that note, to anyone who wants some deep-v action without being a 'poser', get aeroheads. Less outrageous than deep v's, but still aero, and same colors available.

or wait... do I mean fusions? whatever.

I really want an araya super aero though..

mike, i dunno, i guess it depends where you ride. i agree on being able to control your speed in traffic, that's nice for sure, but the ability to coast is also great.

if you have to bail and hop a curb or something, i'd much rather be riding an SS than a fixed..

i dont get this your not able to "coast" wiht a fixed.

im totally new to bicycles and havent ridden a fixed gear but cna someone tell me how this isnt possible?

if you're going down a hill and you pedal.. wouuldnt the pedals continue to revolve?

or on a fixed gear would they rotate backwards causing brakage to happen, thus preventing coasting.

asking for advice on the internet is fucking dumb anyway. you will get solid advice from a few people then there will be 10 people that have no idea what they're talking about coming in to contradict the first few.

fixed gears do not coast. if the wheel's moving, so are the cranks, whether its backward or forward. as massan put it "it's like big wheel for adults"

this thread has gone full loop maybe 3 times in the last few pages.

Corter, you're going to love the gran compe hubs, they're fan-fucking-tastic. Also, to anyone who has it as an option, don't hesitate on picking up the gran compe wheels as well. They've taken a beating and are still going on strong. (not to mention that they now come in purple, gold, white, black, bronze-ish, and blue-ish -depending on where you buy from.

cool! i did a lot of reading and they seemed the best option for what I need, inbetween formulas and phil wood type stuff...although I just got silver. I was thinking maybe white or gold, but i'm not trendy enough for that. I like a clean, all silver look to a bike (well, the deep v is something new) but i saw, i think they even come in pink or something