Real McCoy's / Joe McCoy's Jeans

jubei

Those are the much sought after McHill 6601s. They are one of my favourite jeans. Made by Toys McCoy from the original Joe McCoy lineage.

The construction is pretty simple, with none of the sophistication of a Fullcount 1108 (but then, few jeans are) - a bit like Eternal 811s, but with a much nicer asymetric back pocket. However, the denim is seriously beautiful.

Do you mind if I ask what sets the Fullcounts apart?

ringring, you have a pair? any notes on the details?

Yes, I have a pair. Details are pretty much per my previous post. I guess much of the appeal, lies in the fit, which is lower rise, 66 style slim fit, and the truly wonderful redcast denim. For those who value history, I know a few denimnerds who have bought them also due to the original McCoy lineage. They also seem to be a rarity.

On the flipside, the donut fly buttons are a bit cheap looking.

As the replies above, the Fullcounts have curved back pocket openings (as well as the beautiful subtle curve of the inner edge of the patch pocket) and multiple thread sizes, colours and stitch counts (including the beautifully dense stitching done using a fine yarn on the fly front and back pockets - stitching that would grace a fine shirt).

More refinements include the peek-a-boo selvedge on the 5th pocket, the ridged belts loops, although by no means exclusive to Fullcount.

It's small details like these that gives the impression that whoever designed these jeans decided to go just a little bit further in every direction.

Other notable features of the 1108 are the straight hipped cut and the beautiful denim, which, although heavyweight, is so compact that after wear it feels thin. It takes on a shine, even a shimmer and the fine ring pattern reminds me of the falling rain.

They are one of the few pairs of jeans that I would consider buying multiples of, just in case they stopped production.

I would kill for a pair of those. Any idea where they can be purchased? ;)

you can try takeoff, i read they ship international now, they have toys mccoys stuff on their homepage, although no denim of that brand, but still maybe you can mail them and they wil get it for you. and for real mccoys you can try cking, http://www.c-king.jp/0-2mccoy.html they sell some real mccoys japan stuff and also ship international.

I happened to be in the Real McCoy shop in Osaka this summer and tried on some of the line. I liked the S613 'cowboy' jean the best for fit and indigo colour. But sadly, if you're much over 185cm in height I believe you may find the leg length a touch short, as I did.

I didn't see any of the McHill line there, but they sound interesting if they are intended to be a revival of the now-legendary Joe McCoys. As far as I'm aware, only zk's shop (Faith, in Taipei) purports to carry any Joe McCoys --- I tried to find his place last time I was there but failed...(had an excellent meal in the nearby nightmarket, though).

allo! sorry about derailing this thread. i'm a supernoob around here and I dare not voice my opinion after ringring but I know a fair bit about fullcounts and thought I'd chime in. I've worn nothing but fullcounts for about 5 years now before I found this forum. I bought a pair in japan - fell in love with them and bought nothing else after.

This was mainly due to my ignorance as my only other exposure to denim was with lvc's. After reading much about slub and selvedge on this forum I bought a few pairs of samurai, a pair of sda's and flatheads. I still stick with to wearing my fullcounts on a daily basis.

apart from the little details and overall quality ringring already mentioned - I think what really sets them apart really is the denim. It feels like no other - so light weight, so rich a texture, so joyous to wear.

I'm not very fashionable at all and though I like the stories patterns tell on old denim, I actually dislike the honeycombs and strange contrasts I have seen around here. They don't reflect the life an honest pair of jeans has lived, like the 50 year old denim my granddad used to wear. This isn't meant to be negative at all - it's just a personal preference. I much prefer the vertical fades from regular brusing that beautifully light up patches uniformly like the shy passage of seasons.

ringring puts it beautifully -

"It's small details like these that gives the impression that whoever designed these jeans decided to go just a little bit further in every direction."

erbs: pick up a pair of fullcounts - you will not regret them. preferably ones with arcs - they make them look like they are happy and like being with their owner.

Yes, I have a pair. Details are pretty much per my previous post. I guess much of the appeal, lies in the fit, which is lower rise, 66 style slim fit, and the truly wonderful redcast denim. For those who value history, I know a few denimnerds who have bought them also due to the original McCoy lineage. They also seem to be a rarity.

On the flipside, the donut fly buttons are a bit cheap looking.

thanks ringring. McCoy's has been a point of interest with me for awhile, but it's so hard to find information about them, short of venturing into the taiwanese/HK forums on denim [which i probably should do seeing as how the language gradient is much gentler compared to japanese]. your short summary is much appreciated. :)

apart from the little details and overall quality ringring already mentioned - I think what really sets them apart really is the denim. It feels like no other - so light weight, so rich a texture, so joyous to wear.

erbs: pick up a pair of fullcounts - you will not regret them. preferably ones with arcs - they make them look like they are happy and like being with their owner.

mellon.collie, you have presented the most sentimentally compelling reason for keeping the arcs on pockets. i love it!

mellon.collie, you have presented the most sentimentally compelling reason for keeping the arcs on pockets. i love it!

thanks tweedles.

When I first found this forum - I stumbled into the gallery-heavy thread and at the time assumed that all those fades were the efforts of some transhuman loneranger. what a hazardous life he must lead I wondered.

Logic didn't kick in for a while and the only thing that baffled me was the epicene name this mighty warrior chose :) . thanks for maintaining such a wonderful thread.

I think Mellon.Collie is referring to your colourful username Tweedles :)

I'm told the McHill's are indeed an effort to recreate the denim quality and construction of the original, and as Takashi put's it, 'legendary" Joe McCoys. Which is why they are so sort after by the Ubernerds.

Welcome Mellon.Collie. :)

Good question. My memory is a bit hazy, but as far as I remember, both are traditional, anti-fit cuts, which were normal for that time period. Both were WW2 style repros.The kind of fit that is similar to a Warehouse 1001 or Denime XX.

I think the 901a had a different kind pocket lining to the 901's olive green pocketing. The 901z were zippered versions.

Are you getting either?

Tweedles - you should be able to find both in HK, albeit a limited selection.

If the Joe McCoy numbering is anything like the RMC numbering, then the two may be slightly different WW2 models.

In RMC, the 613 is a sort of 47, post WW2 model (with stitched arcs, sail cloth pocket bags, etc.) while the 613a is a WW2 model with painted arcs, camoflauge pocket bags. The 613a is also a bit more relaxed in fit.

haha ringring. The XH and S-XH are somewhat harder to come by in deadstock condition, but i wouldn't mind those.

You seem to know quite abit about Joe McCoys too, you have any of the models?

I profess to being unenlightened as regards to Joe McCoys. Just a fleeting knowledge - bits and bobs gathered on the wing, but I'm not really a collector of that, or any other, brand.

Didn't the 905s had selvedge pocket bags and copper shanked buttons?

Back peddling a bit, I notice that some collectors are quite sniffy about Real McCoys. And value the products from Toys McCoy higher, even the leathers.

i got them connections.. hahaha yeah i think you shoudl size down 3 on these.. or they shrink a lot? if these would shrink 4 inches in the waist ans 2 inches everywhere ill keep them these are some nice jeans.. very nice..