Real McCoy's / Joe McCoy's Jeans

jubei

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, andrew_ said:

Just read through some of the comments about the quality drop.

Are their sweatshirts still some of the best in the game? Or have they suffered too?

Been wanting to invest for years, was thinking maybe this winter...

fwiw Andrew this 'quality drop' isn't recent.. folks have always claimed RMC to be of the utmost quality, probably just reiterating what McCoys and their associated retailers have told them in their quest to justify their price tag and sell more product but from my experience it's just not true, when you get your hands on the sweatshirts they do feel very plush and you'll think 'what the flip was 00 talking about' but wear them with any kind of frequency and chances are the stitching will start to break down.. a lot of you won't notice because you own way too much clothing and work office/non strenuous jobs. Ive got £6 sweatshirts which have outlived my McCoys but they're uncomfortable, poorly/unethically made, ill fitting and the material is uninspiring, i would say if you're looking for a perfect fitting luxury sweatshirt to wear occasionally then RMC is what you seek just don't expect it to last a lifetime. Others have different experiences of course.

My JMC B-Park sweats are all peppered with holes where the overlock has disintegrated in high abrasion areas, under the sleeves, around the hem ect, you can poke your finger through them..

IMG_9660

Edited by Double 0 Soul

I havent worn any of my ballparks in any work setting , just normal every day wear and have no complaints to note but I have heard quality complaints from more than OO and there price compared to other similar manufacturers a bit of a joke ( especially international ) . I will give a big thumbs up to there double layer after hood sweats though , it's my go to sweat when I'm doing any work around the house ( outside , way too warm to wear inside ) its seen a good 5 years of regular autumn/winter wear and it's still top notch , it's taken on a really nice faded look as well 

I wouldn't fixate on McCoy's as far as sweats are concerned , if I were asked to steer someone in the direction of a brand selling sweats it would 100% be two moon , great quality , amazing pricing and always release new colours every season 

5 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

fwiw Andrew this 'quality drop' isn't recent.. folks have always claimed RMC to be of the utmost quality, probably just reiterating what McCoys and their associated retailers have told them in their quest to justify their price tag and sell more product but from my experience it's just not true, when you get your hands on the sweatshirts they do feel very plush and you'll think 'what the flip was 00 talking about' but wear them with any kind of frequency and chances are the stitching will start to break down.. a lot of you won't notice because you own way too much clothing and work office/non strenuous jobs. Ive got £6 sweatshirts which have outlived my McCoys but they're uncomfortable, poorly/unethically made, ill fitting and the material is uninspiring, i would say if you're looking for a perfect fitting luxury sweatshirt to wear occasionally then RMC is what you seek just don't expect it to last a lifetime. Others have different experiences of course.

My JMC B-Park sweats are all peppered with holes where the overlock has disintegrated in high abrasion areas, under the sleeves, around the hem ect, you can poke your finger through them..

IMG_9660

I quite like it when they start to wear like that  but then when I was younger I wouldn't be seen in any thing that wasn't falling apart. 

51 minutes ago, H...crimper said:

I quite like it when they start to wear like that  but then when I was younger I wouldn't be seen in any thing that wasn't falling apart. 

I don't mind s'long as it's expected when you splurge nearly £200 on a 'superb' quality sweatshirt :D

I also like vintage sweatshirts, and the way the material of my navy/purple JMC is ageing it's got so much potential, alas it will never live to see 'vintage' status.

Cushman also make very nice sweatshirts, as do Whitesville..

Cheers for the options/expertise.

Looked through the others, but RMC just seems to get the details right.

Also seems to fit a bit better than Two Moon/Warehouse etc for my tastes - others look a bit too short and tight on the waist.

I don't think I'll wear it particularly hard, so will just go for it and repair as I need to..

Edited by andrew_

5 hours ago, mousemouse said:

@H...crimper When did you buy and how long have you been wearing those, if I may ask? I got a new pair and the back pocket stitching are nowhere near as wonky as yours.

I imported them from Japan at least 8 years ago, and the denim takes a long time especial as I don't wear them that often.

2 minutes ago, H...crimper said:

I imported them from Japan at least 8 years ago, and the denim takes a long time especial as I don't wear them that often.

I see, I have ones from the current season and the stitching is a lot different from your pair. The current ones are much cleaner. Even the folded edges of the pockets are quite even vs. your pair. I hope mine doesn't too many repairs too soon!

6 hours ago, oomslokop said:

calling @Double 0 Soul to reprise his investigation of shonky construction on the s003

You Rang M'Lord?

I had my 003's on pre-order through VP, you had to fill out an order form, this was about 1month before they dropped in Feb 2013 then i got into a conversation with Gordan at BiG, he was kind enough to send me some photo's of the wonky stitching if i agreed not to share them prior to release, in the end i decided to cancel my pre-order and ordered through BiG, they landed in the US a few days after the JP release but Gordon got them to me within a couple of days so it made little difference, good job too because i was ordering a 32"...

When i comparred the photo's he sent to my pair the wonky pocket stitch was identical, it turned out they were all identical, much to my disappointment.

IMG_6587

If you compare my pair above^ to @H...crimper pair the stitch is exactly the same, right pocket has a sagging top row and 3 stitches of vertical lock stitch, the pocket 'V' is just to the left of the stitch V. Right pocket has the same inverted miss-stitch near the bartack, the wavy stitch at the V is identical, the top row tapers inwards and the folds are the same.

Comparing just the top row of pocket stitching to @edmond pair at the top of the page, you can see they're perfectly parallel, things might have changed? that means @edmond might be right, fuck me! what's going on with the world, first a global pandemic and now Ed's right!! what a fucked up crazy world we live in..:D

After 6 months my pair looked like this

IMG_9803

IMG_9810

By this stage i had already overlocked both inseams by hand and the pocket stitch is starting to disintergrate in places

IMG_9811

12 months

fullsizeoutput_60c

fullsizeoutput_574

The pockets stitch has now worn away so they're flapping around

fullsizeoutput_136

IMG_3023

IMG_3025

18 months

fullsizeoutput_2fa

fullsizeoutput_46b

fullsizeoutput_92

fullsizeoutput_1f6

..not long after this, the coin pocket fell off (as i posted about previously) and even though they're a loose fit the flippin yoke burst open, i was absolutely sick of repairing them so i just bagged them off.. bear in mind, i wasn't wearing them for work just evenings and weekends. :angry:

24 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

You Rang M'Lord?

I had my 003's on pre-order through VP, you had to fill out an order form, this was about 1month before they dropped in Feb 2013 then i got into a conversation with Gordan at BiG, he was kind enough to send me some photo's of the wonky stitching if i agreed not to share them prior to release, in the end i decided to cancel my pre-order and ordered through BiG, they landed in the US a few days after the JP release but Gordon got them to me within a couple of days so it made little difference, good job too because i was ordering a 32"...

When i comparred the photo's he sent to my pair the wonky pocket stitch was identical, it turned out they were all identical, much to my disappointment.

IMG_6587

If you compare my pair above^ to @H...crimper pair the stitch is exactly the same, right pocket has a sagging top row and 3 stitches of vertical lock stitch, the pocket 'V' is just to the left of the stitch V. Right pocket has the same inverted miss-stitch near the bartack, the wavy stitch at the V is identical, the top row tapers inwards and the folds are the same.

Comparing just the top row of pocket stitching to @edmond pair at the top of the page, you can see they're perfectly parallel, things might have changed? that means @edmond might be right, fuck me! what's going on with the world, first a global pandemic and now Ed's right!! what a fucked up crazy world we live in..:D

After 6 months my pair looked like this

IMG_9803

IMG_9810

By this stage i had already overlocked both inseams by hand and the pocket stitch is starting to disintergrate in places

IMG_9811

12 months

fullsizeoutput_60c

fullsizeoutput_574

The pockets stitch has now worn away so they're flapping around

fullsizeoutput_136

IMG_3023

IMG_3025

18 months

fullsizeoutput_2fa

fullsizeoutput_46b

fullsizeoutput_92

fullsizeoutput_1f6

..not long after this, the coin pocket fell off (as i posted about previously) and even though they're a loose fit the flippin yoke burst open, i was absolutely sick of repairing them so i just bagged them off.. bear in mind, i wasn't wearing them for work just evenings and weekends. :angry:

I don't think mine will fall apart like your ones as I don't wear them enough. When new I wasn't that keen on the fit but they have really grown on me, nice and loose. Shame about your ones as looking really nice  

Edited by H...crimper

I first spotted those 003's in the McCoy's 2013 Yearbook which was released at the end of 2012, the 'tight fit' is noted :laugh2:

fullsizeoutput_2999

.. a quick inquirey to Satoh at Vintage Paradise and i found they would be available for pre-order in a few months

This is one of the photo's courtesy of Gordon..

rm 003 back view-1

..notice the identical pocket stitch, it's remarkable how accurate the two pairs are..

IMG_6587

..accurate and contrived, the wonky ethos can't be deliberately replicated in this way.. que CSF and the start (for me at least)of seeking out less than stitch-perfect jeans.

Thanks for the photos! I asked you some weeks back about the Mccoys pair and the Cushmans made by CSF and sadly the latter's fit was not good for my body type when I tried them on. The Cushmans had a very tight top block but a higher rise. The Mccoys had a nicer rise and leg dimensions so I got a pair. Mine is a lot s003 unlike your pair which is a 003. I don't remember where I read this but I think the 003s have a heavier denim? My pair also has much more even stitching compared to your pair, much like edmonds. I will just give mine a final hot soak and wear these soon. I really hope that the thread on my pair doesn't break too soon :D

Ah, the new ones with the OD herringbone pocket bags, and you're right that's what Ed has too, so things might not have changed after all they're just a different pair of jeans.

..equilibrium returns to the universe..

Good luck with them @mousemouse i can't remember the denim weight? ive probably blanked it out :) shame those Cushman didn't work out.