Real McCoy's / Joe McCoy's Jeans

jubei

I have three tees that must be a good 7 or 8 years old... two black from a twin-pack, and a grey.. they're showing their age a bit after countless washes and trips through the dryer, but have outlasted three Iron Heart and two Fullcount tees that received similar amounts of wear. Well.. none of my tees are ready for rag duty just yet, but you wouldn't think the McCoys were the oldest. More recently I acquired a Ballpark sweat — it's going fine, but unlikely to see enough wear in Australia to really put it through its paces. Probably ten wears and three wash/dry cycles on that one with no issues (yet)

I have some RMC loopwheeled tees that were nice for the first few wears, then stretched out exponentially. I’ve never seen a loopwheeled fabric stretch and billow so much even after washing and drying. I don’t wear them anymore because of this. 

very disheartening to hear these quality issues with RMC. At least you would expect them to have great customer service but alas...

I own quite some RMC pieces as well; mostly very happy with them, my N1 has been going strong for 5 years already (in opposition to my Buzz which started having issues with the zipper after the second year). I do agree the cotton stitching on their denim to be very flimsy as I also had issues with the threads coming loose on my Lot 004

I had a loopwheel tee a few years ago and like bF said “not worth the money” to put it kindly.

Weren’t the two pack tees made by Velva Sheen at one time? I had the grey ones which shrank one size and a pack of white which did not.

The QC is certainly all over the place,  I have several ts, none of the loopwheel ones tho, and all are fine after multiple wear and washes. 

I'll still get another ballpark when they eventually restock. 

I have a good selection of RMC no jeans but lots of loopwheel and other stuff and it’s been mixed for me. 

My loopwheel sweatshirt started to wear out in the elbows on both sides after about 2 years of regular wear and washing. My loopwheel sweatpants lasted about 18months before the fabric just beneath the pockets on both sides started to wear thin. My loopwheel hoody has a weak point around the front pouch stitching and small hole starting to develop and that is only a year old.  

I’ve had better success with the suvin gold non loopwheel sweater and the ball park zip parker I bought first has outlasted most the loopwheel stuff. The athletic loopwheel t-shirts have also worn and washed well keeping their shape but they are relatively new so time will tell.  

My favourite bits are the ball park waffle knit long sleeve henley’s got them in grey, white and black and they are worn every day in the colder months and seem pretty bullet proof. My double diamond chinos I’ve had for years and still going strong, just wish they would make them again as fancy another pair and had no problems with my Field Sports Jacket that has lasted a good few winters so far. 

If we paid the prices they charge in Japan I wouldn’t have a problem but when your buying this in the U.K. with the heavily marked up prices it makes you think twice about waxing the best part of £500  again on a sweatshirt and sweatpants that don’t last anywhere near the life time they claim. 

185F8EAA-6ABF-46FD-91DF-B5F1759C4496.jpeg

ECF9E80E-A7FC-4A9D-A505-A17359CEA03C.jpeg

FFE2F907-F0BA-4CD7-87EF-1AC623C4562D.jpeg

I often look at *vintage sweatshirts and despair when i think about what would have been considered an everyday sweatshirt which has been extensively worn and getting on for 70yrs old but still doesn't have a broken stitch or a hole in sight, yet with McCoys which were/are considered uber-quality.. you're lucky to make it through 2yrs defect free.

For the last couple of years ive had some Mantis cotton sweatshirts in my (actual) workwear rotation, from 'Mantisworld' no less :blush: they retail for around £4.50ea but given to me foc by a screenprinter friend of mine, they've outlasted all of my McCoy's sweatshirts....and still going strong

*example 50's era.

• ヴィンテージ 色落ち抜群 50s ダブルフェイス スウェット パーカ ナス紺 ビンテージ 50年代 肉厚_画像1

You have to go ballpark for their sweats.

I put a couples years into my crewneck and zip without noticing anything sketchy.

@Double 0 Soul Your Lot 003 look gorgeous!

My pair of Lot 003 stitching began to unravel in two places after their 1st wash, about 1 month of wear in.

I had a pair of Lot 004 that also began to unravel < week in...

I just don't think RMC makes jeans worth buying. :sad:

Just too add another voice to quality concerns, I have a ballpark zip up that I got maybe 4 years ago or so. Worn a ton, possibly my most worn piece of clothing at this point. Has held up very well, no discernible issues as of yet. I also have an N1 and a flannel shirt, both of which have had no problems and I have owned both for 3-4 years and worn them quite a bit. Disappointing to see all these problems considering I had a high opinion of RMC based on personal experience. Stop by the store relatively frequently and this has made me second guess any future purchases. I kind of wish the sweatshirt would wear out a bit more so I could justify looking for another black zip hoodie, I never loved the pockets or the white hood ties but I have no reason to look for another yet. 

IMG_20200212_212652.jpg

IMG_20200212_212725.jpg

IMG_20200213_001719.jpg

I wish i would have kept hold of my Whitesville's nysurf

Thanks Scoobs, all my JMC b-parks disintegrated :angry2: it was only the RMC-Mill which deserved a place in sweatshirt utopia, a shame really because the navy (purple) material ages so damn beautifully, as pointed out above they do seem hit/miss, whereas RMC jeans do seem to be bottom of the food chain fo'sure,

The morale to this tragic tale is 'don't believe anything you read on the internet'....apart from this ;)

Edited by Double 0 Soul

I have one from Iron Heart that has been going strong for the last 5 years :D

I only have one McCoys item - a denim shirt from Joe McCoy, which I’ve had no problem with. I bought it from a shop in Japan for about half the price that RMcC London were charging.

I have washed and dried my M65 -- it shrinks a little and develops a really nice soft patina... I have an XL and is one of the few RM items that I have that run large, including the sleeves, so the shrinkage was a good thing.    

11 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

it was only the RMC-Mill which deserved a place in sweatshirt utopia, a shame really because the navy (purple) material ages so damn beautifully

This!

my navy ballpark is my longest serving sweat. The fade to purple is awesome. I always wanted the olive version but they haven’t made those for ages as far as I know. Not even sure which sweat version came in that colour. 

oh yeas the loopwheel tees: I have a few of those, all except the navy one stretched out and lost shape. One white example stretched to an especially strange shape. Only good for cleaning rag duty now.