Real McCoy's / Joe McCoy's Jeans

jubei

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2020 at 10:03 PM, Double 0 Soul said:

Lot.003 War model

IMG_4607

IMG_4607

This is awesome! how do you wear and wash it? kindly share the info please, cheers! :D

You're too kind.. nothing out of the ordinary just regular wear and 40° wash every 6 months or so.
Word of warning tho, i wouldn't buy these jeans they were expensive and completely shite, i had them on pre-order when they dropped at the beginning of 2013, within a matter of months both inseams started to unravel, this wasn't the stitching coming undone, it was disintegrating from the abrasion caused by my Buco's, i had to manually overlock both inseams from the knee to hem, a few months later and both back pockets fell off..
IMG_5094
..again the stitching had disintegrated where i had been sat on the carpet playing with my kid.. few more months down the line and the coin pocket fell off

IMG_3151
...then the yoke burst open (ffs) usually by the time my jeans are deconstructing themselves the denim is threadbare, not the case here, the denim was fine, just the stitching falling aparrt.

Folks talk about the quality of RMC but it certainly wasn't my experience with these. I suppose you could say it's because they're cotton thread but pretty much all of my jeans are cotton thread, i never buy anything but cotton thread yet i always get at least a couple of years wear out of a pair.

Anyway, here's a couple of fit pics just in case i haven't put you off enough ;)

IMG_9641

IMG_9801

yasss, sexy jeans (almost got a pair meself if u remember a deleted convo in that other forum), shonkiest construction. i also had a mccoy cargo shorts (which i loved) disintegrate on me (stitching and fabric to the point that i had to throw them away) after 2-3 years which i thought was a bit too much (or not enough!). i've got house shorts from uniqlo that have survived 3 times as long!

Edited by oomslokop

What about the build quality on Toys McCoy's jeans?  Not entirely clear on how or if the two companies are related, but I've considered getting a pair of their jeans since I am an engineer and the patch says "overalls for engineers". 

Edited by fresh1

But from that fade post I definitely liked the denim (fabric wise), but construction wise I don't know, but still we can work on it if it tear apart later imo :D

^^Not yet wmb :D

Ooms- I remember it well old friend, that would have been 100-billion rupiah down the toilet!

fresh- I had a pair of TMC jeans but never wore them, certainly not enough to comment on build quality, all the other bits n bobs ive had from TMC have been fantastic.

My JMC ballpark sweats suffered the same fate as those 003's, i was really disappointed in them because i used to own shit loads of sweatshirst from a myriad of brands then when i discovered the ballparks (the fit was perfect) i sold off all my other sweatshirts (does anyone really need 6x gray sweat's) then after 12months or so the stitching started to disintegrate in high abrasion areas around the hem and hips probably compounded by me swinging my arms pendulum-like as i march around taking this mill-repro lark a bit too far ;) on the flip, the rmc millitary sweat is bomb-proof.

A couple of forum-peeps have suffered collapsed celastic in their relatively new Buco's so it's not just the denim department.. anyhow, ive always found RMC outerwear to be impeccable although i did sell the majority of mine before it suffered the same fate....

Man, that is nuts how lots of RMC stuff seems to just be falling apart on people. Kinda glad I didn't opt to get their khakis a few months back.

I couldn't be happier with my A-2, the construction and material quality seems as good as it gets. I guess the wool parts could wear out over time, but I imagine that's the same as on any other A-2 type jacket.

Then again, the way these kinds of brands operate, they usually design stuff and contract construction to various sewing factories (Flat Head, for instance, used a different workshop for shirts than jeans, a different maker for footwear and jackets, and so on.) I imagine it's the same with RMC. So the quality of the jackets really doesn't have much connection to the knits and jeans, aside from the company clearly having inconsistent QC.

Edited by Cold Summer

My experience: I’ve got rmc ballpark sweat that are nearly a decade old and still going strong. A much younger freedom sleeve sweat has pilling which is disappointing. 
My rmc N-1 has a poorly stitched pocket bag. 
the rmc denim I have (lot 2) suffered disintegrated stitching too. 
As for TMC, the surveyor boots I have (always been my favourites) suffered total welt failure after about two years. 

Shit! i'm sorry to hear that Gav, my Railman's are in perfect shape after nearly a decade, ive hiked and worked in them.

All this is forgivable from lesser/cheaper brands (H&M for instance) but RMC prides and sells itself on 'quality' and is priced accordingly but often its just not the case, the fabrics are very plush, far superior to the originals but the construction lets it down, a lot of us don't really notice the short lifespan because we own such a lot of clothes.

Only problem i had with TMC... i bought some A-10's, the materials were amazing but where the knits had been attached to the gloves the thread had been cut off without a lockstitch so when i opened the knit to push my hand in,.. the loose thread disappeared back through the stitch holes and the cuff started to detach itself (both gloves were the same) 2min repair job and they were fine but they obviously hadn't been finished off properly. You just don't expect such shoddy QC when you're spending nearly £200 on a pair of gloves.

6 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Shit! i'm sorry to hear that Gav, my Railman's are in perfect shape after nearly a decade, ive hiked and worked in them.

All this is forgivable from lesser/cheaper brands (H&M for instance) but RMC prides and sells itself on 'quality' and is priced accordingly but often its just not the case, the fabrics are very plush, far superior to the originals but the construction lets it down, a lot of us don't really notice the short lifespan because we own such a lot of clothes.

Only problem i had with TMC... i bought some A-10's, the materials were amazing but where the knits had been attached to the gloves the thread had been cut off without a lockstitch so when i opened the knit to push my hand in,.. the loose thread disappeared back through the stitch holes and the cuff started to detach itself (both gloves were the same) 2min repair job and they were fine but they obviously hadn't been finished off properly. You just don't expect such shoddy QC when you're spending nearly £200 on a pair of gloves.

rewelt and resole by @felixjouanneau and they are still my favorite lace up boots. But yeah I was pretty disapoointed. I'll be back in Tokyo in march and buying more overpriced and poorly constructed goods. I have not learned my lesson yet

On 1/31/2020 at 2:18 PM, Cold Summer said:

Yikes. All these issues with RMC jeans are making me think, why bother when you can get similar jeans from Sugar Cane or TCB for far less? (Or pricier brands like Ooe and CSF?)

I bought an N-1 Deck Jacket in spring. Was wearing it for 2 weeks this winter and the zipper came off. Can't be repaired, at least not without a zipper of  the same kind. Crap quality. 

Worst, the RMC after sale support is zilch. I sent them several emails, never got a reply. Their website contact is in Japanese only and have to give a Japanese postal address to send the form.

I am into cloth that that can be worn for years. RMC cant be worn for a month and is unrepairable. I'm done with them.

IMG_0458 (1).jpeg

Edited by Schorsch

You're wasting your time with McCoy's after sales.. Over on another forum one of the members bought an RMC Brown's Beach jacket and within a matter of weeks a large hole appeared, due to the nature of the weave it couldn't be repaired, RMC did an 'investigation' which concluded in it being entirely his own fault? they wouldn't accept an exchange so he was stuck with it... the shop he bought it from gave him £30 store credit or sumat.. off his next purchase.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

all of these recent RMC QC issues are very surprising and rather disturbing. I don't own any RMC stuff, and this thread has deterred me from buying any of their stuff. 

Nobody's discussed QC issues much here before. RMC hasn't been discussed in general nearly as much as other favored brands, so while these issues are not new, they're new info to me and others as well. And as said previously, not all garments have issues depending on where they are made. Seems like a crap shoot?